Water wetter additive

Go to solution Solved by johnny5c,

Using Water Wetter was very common years ago before pre-mixed fluids were available, it does help a little but nothing drastic like it does in automotive applications.

Has anyone tried adding water wetter to a custom water cooling loop, and if so did it improve the thermals? 

Using Water Wetter was very common years ago before pre-mixed fluids were available, it does help a little but nothing drastic like it does in automotive applications.

1 minute ago, johnny5c said:

Thanks for that. I tried to find stuff about it, but I guess it's not a common forum or video topic these days.

1 minute ago, Virel said:

Thanks for that. I tried to find stuff about it, but I guess it's not a common forum or video topic these days.

I think the last loop I used it in was back in the P4 Northwood days, like 2003.  This is back when most people had homemade blocks and heater cores for radiators so every little bit helped.

1 minute ago, johnny5c said:

I think the last loop I used it in was back in the P4 Northwood days, like 2003.  This is back when most people had homemade blocks and heater cores for radiators so every little bit helped.

Doesn't that mean that even if it wouldn't help a lot these days it still might help some? Like you said, every little bit right?

Just now, Virel said:

Doesn't that mean that even if it wouldn't help a lot these days it still might help some? Like you said, every little bit right?

I wouldn't try to mix it with any of the pre-mixed fluids, just distilled water and a silver coil.  Be interesting to see if it would help because water cooling hardware has come a long way in the last decade.

10 hours ago, johnny5c said:

I wouldn't try to mix it with any of the pre-mixed fluids, just distilled water and a silver coil.  Be interesting to see if it would help because water cooling hardware has come a long way in the last decade.

Yeah, at some point I'll build my own loop and try it. If it has interesting results I'll let you know.

I have found that it really does not make much difference.  I use it mainly because it is a good biocide with distilled water.  At least Redline Water Wetter is, not sure about others.

Water Wetter is mostly designed for automotive/high temperature use. Its main purpose is to raise the boiling temp of water without using glycol which is prohibited in most race tracks as it makes the track slippery when spilled. 

Tests have shown that its a few degrees cooler than a standard 50/50 glycol water mix but thats at 180-220 degrees. PC cooling loop dont go higher than 150 degrees afaik