Cheap (possibly fake graphics card) (£12 GTX 1050Ti 4GB)

Faisal A
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

You can find out by removing the heatsink and reading the numbers on the chips.

The memory for example has a code written on it, that will point you to the datasheet of the ram and you can then find out stuff.

For example see https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_card#/media/File:NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_780_PCB-Front.jpg

Those square chips are memory chips:

image.png.f0f77e5241acea6ce51212e09ca06618.png

So if you google K4G20325FD  you can find out the info for the chip : https://datasheet.ciiva.com/26785/k4g20325fd-fc04-26785648.pdf

According to page 2 in datasheet, it's a 2 gbit chip (1 GB = 8 gbit , so each chip has 256 MB of memory), 1.5v , 6000 mbit speed ... there's 12 chips on that video card, so it's a 12 x 256 MB = 3 GB GDDR5 card.

The fake cards SOMETIMES also erase the old text and put new text but most of the time they don't bother. They just modify the bios on the video card to trick the video card drivers into thinking the video card has more video memory and that it's a newer chip.

Because video cards can also use a portion of your computer's ram for memory if the video card memory is not enough, often games won't crash if they try to use more memory than what the video card actually has (for example let's say you try to play a game like GTA 5 on 1080p ultra quality, which means game tries to use more than 3-4 GB of memory while your video card may have only 1-2 GB in reality) but as soon as the game constantly has to move data from computer ram into video card ram and back, the framerate goes way down and your games would be slow.

Sometimes though even this doesn't work and games would crash.

I came across a £12 GTX1050TI 4GB on eBay.  By friend said it was fake and they just re brand the cheapest graphic cards they can find. < link removed >

image.png

Edited by LogicalDrm

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

its not possiably fake, its entirely fake. it has a god damn VGA port even, 10 series dosnt support VGA

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

My PC was purchased from 2006 so even if it is fake, will it be better then an ATI radeon 64mb ?

It most likely something like a nVidia GT 730 with 1-2 GB GDDR3, or something similar in performance.

Up to you if you feel it's worth spending even 11 uk pounds on something that's 5+ years old.

6 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

My PC was purchased from 2006 so even if it is fake, will it be better then an ATI radeon 64mb ?

No, because these graphics cards have modded BIOS files, causing them to malfunction under load. You should be able to pick up something for the same price on the second hand market, if you are looking to upgrade that old PC.

4 minutes ago, Pyramiden said:

No, because these graphics cards have modded BIOS files, causing them to malfunction under load. You should be able to pick up something for the same price on the second hand market, if you are looking to upgrade that old PC.

What do you mean by "they malfunction under load" ?

Do they just die ?

17 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

Do they just die ?

The usual drivers from nvidia likely won't work with it, so you only get to use the one they provide on the disc. Might have some other unforseen issues since the games might get confused at the faked specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

18 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

Do they just die ?

they can crash, artifact or do other fun shit because the computer thinks it has more stuff to work with than it has, if you want a super cheap graphics card then spending your money on a fake that also might just be dead isnt really the right thing to do. It probably outperforms what you have but with problems. Look for a not fake card instead

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

The usual drivers from nvidia likely won't work with it, so you only get to use the one they provide on the disc. Might have some other unforseen issues since the games might get confused at the faked specs.

I only do H264 encoding on this computer. No games are played

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

they can crash, artifact or do other fun shit because the computer thinks it has more stuff to work with than it has, if you want a super cheap graphics card then spending your money on a fake that also might just be dead isnt really the right thing to do. It probably outperforms what you have but with problems. Look for a not fake card instead

What would be the cheapest not fake card to get then

Builds:

Spoiler

Well, you could get video cards for 2-3$ but that doesn't mean they're fast or compatible with the most recent stuff. You should specify your top budget.

The best price for performance would probably be RX 570 cards or RX 470 - lots of these sold for mining, so they're cheap on used market.

There's also some OEM RX 460 cards hitting eBay these days, at low prices, but you could end up to be one of the probably <5% of buyers with a motherboard that doesn't like them - they're OEM video cards for HP and some motherboards don't like them.

See for example

1 https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-RX-460-910486-002-2GB-GDDR5-PCI-e-3-0-x-8-HDMI-Display-DVI/283366254924?epid=11020101398&amp;hash=item41f9f1e94c:g:eZIAAOSwQqNcWONQ

2 https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-910486-002-AMD-Radeon-RX-460-2GB-GDDR5-PCI-e-3-0-x-8-HDMI-Display-DVI/273514536515?epid=11020101398&amp;hash=item3faebc9e43:g:WtIAAOSwzd5clX~q

These also have modern hardware h264 encoder, so you could use them for encoding and playback of even 4k content.

Avoid GT 1030 - they're cheap but they don't have hardware encoder enabled, oso if you're into streaming or occasional video encoding with video card, gt 1030 won't work.

If I was to purchase this, how would I find out what it really is ? Also, can I just download the drivers for what it actually is (e.g. if it is actually a gt710 can I just download those drivers ?)

You can find out by removing the heatsink and reading the numbers on the chips.

The memory for example has a code written on it, that will point you to the datasheet of the ram and you can then find out stuff.

For example see https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_card#/media/File:NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_780_PCB-Front.jpg

Those square chips are memory chips:

image.png.f0f77e5241acea6ce51212e09ca06618.png

So if you google K4G20325FD  you can find out the info for the chip : https://datasheet.ciiva.com/26785/k4g20325fd-fc04-26785648.pdf

According to page 2 in datasheet, it's a 2 gbit chip (1 GB = 8 gbit , so each chip has 256 MB of memory), 1.5v , 6000 mbit speed ... there's 12 chips on that video card, so it's a 12 x 256 MB = 3 GB GDDR5 card.

The fake cards SOMETIMES also erase the old text and put new text but most of the time they don't bother. They just modify the bios on the video card to trick the video card drivers into thinking the video card has more video memory and that it's a newer chip.

Because video cards can also use a portion of your computer's ram for memory if the video card memory is not enough, often games won't crash if they try to use more memory than what the video card actually has (for example let's say you try to play a game like GTA 5 on 1080p ultra quality, which means game tries to use more than 3-4 GB of memory while your video card may have only 1-2 GB in reality) but as soon as the game constantly has to move data from computer ram into video card ram and back, the framerate goes way down and your games would be slow.

Sometimes though even this doesn't work and games would crash.