FREE Game March 22nd

Paul Rudd

Oxenfree is now FREE on the Epic Games store. I'm guessing a lot of people already have this game as it was free not that long ago at multiple game sites.

The Witness will be the next FREE game on the Epic Games store on April 4th. It's a $39.99($9.99 historic low) puzzle game that I'm sure you're quite familiar with.

Keep up the great work Epic. Always look forward to the FREE games you've been releasing.

Epic store, pass...

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

If I didn't have to install spyware, I'd love to grab the games... but that's not the case...

Great offers for those that don't care - I'm sure it'll grab more customers (And hopefully make steam more competitive for devs).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 hour ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Epic store, pass...

What's wrong with the Epic store?

1 hour ago, Imbellis said:

If I didn't have to install spyware, I'd love to grab the games... but that's not the case... Great offers for those that don't care - I'm sure it'll grab more customers (And hopefully make steam more competitive for devs).

What spyware?

4 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

What spyware? I used multiple programs to scan for any type of malware/spyware/viruses, etc and it found 0 everything. 

Epic Game Store, Spyware, Tracking, and You!

There are other places that mention it, but that's one that covers a lot of stuff.

Epic Game Store is looking into your Steam Cloud game list, play history, possibly friends list and other programs too - all without asking the end user - (I'd be totally fine with it if they did - but they didn't).

It also goes against GDPR.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I have GOG and Steam already... The Steam client is asking enough as I do not want to install another game client. Not to mention the above...subject... @Imbellis brought up.

I guess they need to pay for all those games they give away somehow. Though GOG also gives away games from time to time. It is nice that I get a free game, but typically I still end up spending upwards of $50 every time. Strange how that works ?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Imbellis said:
2 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

What spyware? I used multiple programs to scan for any type of malware/spyware/viruses, etc and it found 0 everything. 

Epic Game Store, Spyware, Tracking, and You!

There are other places that mention it, but that's one that covers a lot of stuff.

Epic Game Store is looking into your Steam Cloud game list, play history, possibly friends list and other programs too - all without asking the end user - (I'd be totally fine with it if they did - but they didn't).

It also goes against GDPR.

I don't believe any of that at all. It's just here-say. And on Reddit of all places. And I don't even use an Android phone. I don't use a phone period. I also don't use Internet Explorer.

1 hour ago, Razor Blade said:

I do not want to install another game client.

I currently have 7 gaming clients installed. I barely even use all of them but I have absolutely no issues with any of them. They all work flawlessly.

1 hour ago, Razor Blade said:

I guess they need to pay for all those games they give away somehow. It is nice that I get a free game, but typically I still end up spending upwards of $50 every time. Strange how that works

I don't know what you mean by these statements. What do you mean by, "I guess they need to pay for all those games they give away somehow"? And what do you mean by, "I still end up spending upwards of $50 every time." $50 on what exactly? I haven't paid a dime to the Epic Games store. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

I don't know what you mean by these statements. What do you mean by, "I guess they need to pay for all those games they give away somehow"? And what do you mean by, "I still end up spending upwards of $50 every time." $50 on what exactly? I haven't paid a dime to the Epic Games store. 

When GOG gives a game away, I end up buying a bunch of other games (the reason I spend $50). I freely spend my money when getting a free product though it isn't always required. GOG sells DRM free games while enticing people to visit their site and see what is on sale.

Epic might be giving a game away but you have to download their client. As referenced above, their software comes with risk of quite a bit of spyware. Yes GOG has a client but it is not required and it is spyware free. I have no problem with people that download multiple clients. It just isn't for me. I like GOG's business model, I feel like I'm actually buying a game instead of buying the privilege to play a game.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

When GOG gives a game away, I end up buying a bunch of other games (the reason I spend $50). I freely spend my money when getting a free product though it isn't always required. GOG sells DRM free games while enticing people to visit their site and see what is on sale.

Not once have I ever bought any amount of games for any amount of money after downloading a game from anywhere. What makes you buy $50 worth of games after downloading a game for free? And how on earth does GOG entice anyone to visit their site and see what is on sale? I barely visit GOG anymore because their catalog of games are insanely overpriced. In fact, that's all I notice when I actually visit their website. The majority of which are really old games going for the most ridiculous prices online.

Epic might be giving a game away but you have to download their client. As referenced above, their software comes with risk of quite a bit of spyware. Yes GOG has a client but it is not required and it is spyware free.

Epics client works flawlessly and there is no spyware in it at all. What you may be reading about Epics client elsewhere is make believe. Sheer here-say.

I like GOG's business model, I feel like I'm actually buying a game instead of buying the privilege to play a game.

Is this because GOG's games are DRM-free? I have no preference of if a game is DRM-free or not. As long as I can play the game, that's all that matters. In no way does ANY game ever make me feel like I'm buying the privilege to play it.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Not once have I ever bought any amount of games for any amount of money after downloading a game from anywhere. What makes you buy $50 worth of games after downloading a game for free? And how on earth does GOG entice anyone to visit their site and see what is on sale? I barely visit GOG anymore because their catalog of games are insanely overpriced. In fact, that's all I notice when I actually visit their website. The majority of which are really old games going for the most ridiculous prices online.

Epics client works flawlessly and there is no spyware in it at all. What you may be reading about Epics client elsewhere is make believe. Sheer here-say.

Is this because GOG's games are DRM-free? I have no preference of if a game is DRM-free or not. As long as I can play the game, that's all that matters. In no way does ANY game ever make me feel like I'm buying the privilege to play it.

what? It was just a joke calm down. I didn't spend exactly $50 every time I download a GOG game okay? Holy hell.

I tolerate Steam enough only because I have bought games from them in the past. The last thing I want to do is to figure out a way to install and isolate yet another game client on my PC. No matter what the hear say is, never trust anyone that requires you to run a client on your PC for the sake of DRM. I have in the past completely agreed with your stance about DRM. However as time goes on, I've been much less into account based (permissive) content. It is a challenge for sure. Most people today don't care one bit about owning a piece of media. It just works on whatever platform they've invested in. It doesn't really click until they try to switch that they realize just how integrated they are into the chosen ecosystem.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

The last thing I want to do is to figure out a way to install and isolate yet another game client on my PC. I've been much less into account based (permissive) content. It is a challenge for sure.

It's not rocket science and I don't remember it ever being a challenge. You simply fill out a form. I create a fresh email with a random first and last name, random everything. Then do the same with Epic. Install games and play them. Takes literally a few minutes to get it started. There is no figuring out process whatsoever. I suppose my experience with multiple gaming clients makes it a breeze for me.

17 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

It's not rocket science and I don't remember it ever being a challenge. You simply fill out a form. I create a fresh email with a random first and last name, random everything. Then do the same with Epic. Install games and play them. Takes literally a few minutes to get it started. There is no figuring out process whatsoever. I suppose my experience with multiple gaming clients makes it a breeze for me.

Sure, signing up for a service is easy. Companies make sure it is as easy as possible. I mean finding content (music, games, movies, etc) now a days that isn't locked in via client or app is the challenge. Not just streaming content, I mean buying something legit. Maybe it is just that I grew up in a different era where buying something means you owned it and could pretty much do anything you wanted with it. DRM was pretty much always a thing but it was not nearly as invasive as it is today.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler