Is 1050 still good for light gaming. If not, what is the most sensible upgrade?

Galaxy s10

I have had a gtx 1050 for a long time and I want to do something about it soon. What would make the most sense?

What do you consider "light"? Old games? Newer ones on low settings?

A girl who loves to love.

Yeah it's alright for 1080p low-medium on most games. Unless you find something better used for a good price. I have a 750 ti and it's fine for me. I haven't really played any recent games other than rainbow six a little, which isn't even that new. If you want something better look for higher end used 10 series graphics cards. If your on a tight budget don't bother with rtx or gtx 16xx unless you find some on a good sale or something.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

I've seen indication that on 1080p cards lower on the food chain can still game modern titles on medium/high settings. 

If your gaming is actually light, or you aren't running this year's titles at all, you'll be just fine.

So if you're an eSports gamer, or don't mind medium-ish settings on the newer AAA titles at 1080p, you could certainly save that money. An upgrade path is looking like $200 USD used right now, and obviously only goes up from there.

16 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

I've seen indication that on 1080p cards lower on the food chain can still game modern titles on medium/high settings. 

If your gaming is actually light, or you aren't running this year's titles at all, you'll be just fine.

So if you're an eSports gamer, or don't mind medium-ish settings on the newer AAA titles at 1080p, you could certainly save that money. An upgrade path is looking like $200 USD used right now, and obviously only goes up from there.

They wouldn't need to pay 200 used. You can get a rx 580 8gb for well under 200 new. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

They wouldn't need to pay 200 used. You can get a rx 580 8gb for well under 200 new. 

I guess that is true. I see them for less than $120 or so. I was initially imagining this was a Ti, but the 580 is even a pretty good step up from that.

Define "good" and "light gaming". 

Thanks, that would help a lot.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

If you already have the 1050, you don't really need to ask if it's good enough, you already know. 

As for an upgrade, 1080p is great in a GTX 1060 6GB or an RX 580, both can be found for good used prices from eBay.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Low settings 1080p it can just about live with FOR NOW. In about 6 months time, it'll go below 60 fps at low settings..It's okay for now, but doesn't provide any certainty for any future games whatsoever.

I'm sure you will be able to hold on until we see the situation of the upcoming AMD Navi. Navi should be savior for budget gamers from what has been rumored. I don't see a reason to upgrade from what you have UNLESS it has performance near to or equivalent to a gtx 1070. It is no good going to gtx 1060 level from a gtx 1050, it's just over hundred wasted for nothing. You need at least 2 steps up, and as I say that is 1070 level performance. Navi should provide that with a middle of the mid-range card (3070 if that's what it is called). Wait for that.

If you would like to keep your 1050 you could just add another over SLI

32 minutes ago, RTX_Clap said:

If you would like to keep your 1050 you could just add another over SLI

1050 doesn't support sli. Unless you use differentsliauto which doesn't really work that well.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

what is the best graphics card for playing games like need for speed at mid to high settings 60fps?

57 minutes ago, Galaxy s10 said:

what is the best graphics card for playing games like need for speed at mid to high settings 60fps?

So here are the questions we need answered to give you the best version of the answer you're looking for:

What resolution is your monitor? If 1080p, what is the refresh rate?

What CPU, MOBO, RAM are you using? (If it's older it may not support some options fully.)

Are you referring to NFS: Payback? What other games do you plan to play on it?

1080 60hz i5 6500 msi something, hyper x 8gb ddr4 and yes i mean nfs payback, it runs fine but not sure how it will run the rumored 2019 nfs game. I also play minecraft and cuphead and games like that

Gtx 1050 is fine for slightly older aaa games at 40-50fps mid-high settings and e sports, but once you throw something like anthem or metro exodus at it, those frames will drop hard(mostly limited to low-medium settings)

If you want a new gpu, id go with the gtx 1600s that are coming out.

Damn....