Are Roms Legal?

calebp123

Ok so are roms legal? Also why have game like pokemon light platinum not been sued for naming their game or mod or rom pokemon? 

It's all about marketing. It's not exactly legal. They don't take action because it creates advertising. It make them seem like a better company for letting their fan base make what they want with things they like. Fuelling the creativity. It's basically in the end down to marketing.

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Who cares, play POKEMON!

Nintendo aren't money greedy people, unlike other game publishers..

Hold on to that thought. They are no better.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/full_screen_mario_web_game_closed_down_following_nintendos_copyright_complaint

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

its the grey area.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

You wont get arrested so yea, go for it

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

It depends on where you live, among other things. If you created your own roms and used them yourself I don't think any court would make you pay anything, but if you are downloading them illegally you could potentially face some legal problems.

That said, it's quite rare for these companies to chase after individuals, they mostly just try to take down the distributors of these files.

its  legal if you have the orinal game, example.

if you have super mario world on cartridge is ok, but if you dont have the cartridge its ilegal

also depends on what country do you live

I dump my own roms 

• 2 weeks later...

Who cares, play POKEMON!

Nintendo aren't money greedy people, unlike other game publishers..

Have you been living under a rock? Do you remember that whole YouTube thing. Although they came to their senses before they went further down the rabbit hole, I have to give them that.

It's not illegal if you don't get caught, if the police show up @ your door then run to your PC and delete the roms and emulators, then empty the recycling bin and answer the door.......

It's not illegal if you don't get caught, if the police show up @ your door then run to your PC and delete the roms and emulators, then empty the recycling bin and answer the door.......

Format hard drive, bash it with a hammer and flush it in the toilet. Then answer the door.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Format hard drive, bash it with a hammer and flush it in the toilet. Then answer the door.

Or just don't answer at all. Just shut your door and go to sleep.

Or just don't answer at all. Just shut your door and go to sleep.

Touche

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

if you have super mario world on cartridge is ok, but if you dont have the cartridge its ilegal

that

who cares...

If you own the game yes.  Running an emulator is also only legal if you own the original device.  

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

There is no 3DS emulator, I think that's the only one that anybody's jimmies would get rustled over.

I wouldn't worry about it, most emus are for games that aren't sold anymore, nobody is going to sue you unless you start trying to sell them.

That's technically wrong. If you own a game you can legally make a backup of it, however even if you own the game it's technically still illegal to download it. Not like any of that's really enforced anyways but still.

Seriously, I installed the Homebrew channel on my Wii just so i could install Dios Mios on it and play Gamecube ROMs. You can't buy them anymore, so the only way to get them is to download them. I buy all my current console games, like for the Xbox 360 and PC. I just download what can't be bought anymore.

Yeh, they're only legal if you have a legitimate copy of the game.

There is no 3DS emulator, I think that's the only one that anybody's jimmies would get rustled over.

I wouldn't worry about it, most emus are for games that aren't sold anymore, nobody is going to sue you unless you start trying to sell them.

There are 2 available at the time.

Technically no but its not like your gonna be arrested for it.

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3