RX460/i5-3470 with a used FSP psu

timothyw9
52 minutes ago, timothyw9 said:

Trying to spec a super budget build for a friend with an Intel i5-3470 and an AMD RX460 and wondering if this PSU would be sufficient:

A new 300W PSU from a named manufacturer is like 30€.

Why would you want to save so much on it with an unknown aged PSU?!

From the label it might be 6 Years or so...

No, get a decent PSU and not risk the Hardware with such cheap stuff...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Hi !

I would suggest using outervision PSU calculator :)

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I hope this helps !

Vincent

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

10 hours ago, Insorior said:

I would suggest using outervision PSU calculator :)

Oh no, pls don't...

That one we all have our beef with because it totally overestimates the power consumption by something liker 50-100%...

Its really not a good one and should be avoided at all cost...

I actually already got proven wrong about it with all these kind folks here, that calculator clearly adds wattage.  Thank you for correcting me back @Stefan Payne

BLACK and BLUE Build

i9-9900K - 5.2 Ghz @ 1.305 vCore, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (@ 3200 Mhz), Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Extreme, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 970 Pro, Samsung 970 EVO, Dual Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Tower 900, AX1500i

VR Build

i7-8700K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.36 vCore, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (@ 3200 Mhz), Asus Maximus X Hero (Wi Fi ac), 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition, Toshiba NVME, Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Core P5, HX1000i

FreeNAS Server Build

Pentium G5400, 8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury (@ 2400 MHz), Asrock H370M-ITX/ac, Intel 320 System SSD, 4x Hitachi 7200K 4 TB HDD, Thermaltake TR2 650W, Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120, Bit Fenix Prodigy

Daughter's First BuildCore i3-6100, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (@ 2133 MHz), Asrock H270M-ITX/ac, XFX RX-580 GTS, Custom Watercooling (Both CPU and GPU) 2x Corsair Force LS, PowerSpec 550w, NZXT H200i

38 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Oh no, pls don't...

That one we all have our beef with because it totally overestimates the power consumption by something liker 50-100%...

Its really not a good one and should be avoided at all cost...

Do you recommend one in particular? I know they all overestimate (honestly prefer that to underestimating) but it's nice to have a ballpark, even if you know it's not that accurate.

@OP I wouldn't get that. As Stephan said, a new one would cost you the same amount of money. The fact that it isn't even bronze certified as kind of a red flag too. Even though efficiency doesn't necessarily correlate to quality, 80+ Bronze is just expected these days.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you recommend one in particular? I know they all overestimate (honestly prefer that to underestimating) but it's nice to have a ballpark, even if you know it's not that accurate.

Best way is to look at the power consumption of each component. If you can't do that, then the bequiet psu calculator or even pcpartpicker built in wattage calculator will give you a rough ballpark estimation. They're not perfect, but from what I've seen they aren't too far off and don't horribly overestimate like the outervision one does.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

19 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

@OP I wouldn't get that. As Stephan said, a new one would cost you the same amount of money. The fact that it isn't even bronze certified as kind of a red flag too. Even though efficiency doesn't necessarily correlate to quality, 80+ Bronze is just expected these days.

Look at reviews. Anandtech, (as do many other media outlets), have full system powerdraw from the wall for all GPU reviews. And it's not a pissweak CPU, it's an extreme edition.

That'll naturally show you larger than what you need, because of inefficiencies of converting AC to DC power.

19 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yes, a Piece of Paper and a Pencil + Google.

Then look up the TDP of GPU and add that to the TDP of the CPU + another 10W for each 3,5" Drive 2,5W or 5W per 2,5" HDD/SSD

Or just pick a 400-550W PSU for every low-mid range PC.

More you only need for HEDT and/or high end GPUs like VEGA, nVidia x080ti and similar devices.

14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, a Piece of Paper and a Pencil + Google.

Then look up the TDP of GPU and add that to the TDP of the CPU + another 10W for each 3,5" Drive 2,5W or 5W per 2,5" HDD/SSD

Or just pick a 400-550W PSU for every low-mid range PC.

More you only need for HEDT and/or high end GPUs like VEGA, nVidia x080ti and similar devices.

Well I already knew that much, but I was surprised to see you call out a single calculator in particular as you normally bash them all.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

18 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well I already knew that much, but I was surprised to see you call out a single calculator in particular as you normally bash them all.

Yeah, because there is nothin else.

And the other ones aren't as wrong as this one.

24 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The outervision calculator really is just that bad. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'd never even heard of it.

Outervision also provides the calculator that's on the cooler master website. Between outervisions own website and CoolerMaster, they tend to be some of the top search results for "PSU calculator". 

I recommend going there and putting in the lowest powered CPU you can think of, like a celeron or something. Don't put anything else like GPU, storage drives, memory, etc in. Just leave the rest blank and calculate only the CPU. It'll probably give you something like 150-175w estimation for a Pentium/celeron CPU by itself. It'll then give you affiliate links to PSUs it recommends you buy - which is how they make money.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Outervision also provides the calculator that's on the cooler master website.

That gives me all the information I need lol.

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

Outervision also provides the calculator that's on the cooler master website.

Not only there but also other Websites.

Back in the day, it was used by Enermax, no idea if they still do it.

Possibly other manufacturers as well.

9 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

That gives me all the information I need lol.

Just input known mesurement points and look at what YOUR rigs use.

For example my VEGA64 System:
Ryzen 1700x (non OC)

VEGA64

2x DDR-SDRAM

2x 7200rpm HDD

SSD

WLAN Card.

My usual Game Consumption is between 400-500W.

And I ran it with a 550W PSU (even a "modified" Bitfenix Formula (where I only combined 2 rails for PCIe).