Pulling files from an OS drive

CorCat87

Planning a new build and I was contemplating trying to get my old boot drive to work with all the new hardware or just doing a fresh install.  I'm 95% sure I'm just going to go with a fresh install, hoping I can still get the free upgrade to 10 again. Wile I'm doing that I figured I'd just get an NVMe M.2 for my boot drive wile I'm at it. My question is wile I do plan to back up what is on my current boot drive. When I connect it. Can I still pull files off it before I format it(if that's the right way to do it) Or will they be locked or something where I can't get to them

Assuming you don't have file encryption enabled AND that this is a Windows system, as long as you're an administrator you will be able to access the old files. Note that if you're transferring files from one NTFS formatted drive to another that file permissions will be kept and you'll need to take file ownership away from your old user account.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

16 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Assuming you don't have file encryption enabled AND that this is a Windows system, as long as you're an administrator you will be able to access the old files. Note that if you're transferring files from one NTFS formatted drive to another that file permissions will be kept and you'll need to take file ownership away from your old user account.

Ok thanks, I do plan to to a thorough back up before hand. I would just wait alittle before formatting in case I realize I may have missed something 

*ughs* taking ownership, can be a hassle.  when things go ugly!  but hopefully for you it will simple plug in old drive and everything will be there. 

TIP: if need be create an additional account, same name as using on old drive. and log in as an administrator. might get you through enough.

1 minute ago, boggen said:

*ughs* taking ownership, can be a hassle.  when things go ugly!  but hopefully for you it will simple plug in old drive and everything will be there. 

TIP: if need be create an additional account, same name as using on old drive. and log in as an administrator. might get you through enough.

thanks, i guess the only thing i would be worried about is, if there are ownership issues.  will i have a problem formatting it?

"disk management" do not format through "file explorer",  if anything go to dos/command prompt to clear out partitions with correct commands. then you can create a full partition for the drive, then mount, format drive. 

have experienced before a few times, were "disk management" was not showing boot partitions, and cutting off a few gigs.