How to properly take pictures of computer

Hi, after looking around on the internet, I have found that there is very little on how to take pictures of a computer. There is one topic on overclock.net I believe but it doesn't cover all that much. I see a lot of people on this forum take amazing pictures of their computers and I would like some tips on how that make it look so good.

If any of you could help me out or link me to a guide or something that would be really helpful. Thanks.

I have decent camera, it is a Nikon d3000 if that helps

see if you can use outside light, and no flash

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

see if you can use outside light, and no flash

And even lighting for that matter.

Don't shoot with a phone and no flash.If it doesn't look good you're doing something wrong.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

You need alot of light. yes ALOT.

And a good camera ofcourse ( DSLR preferred )

point and shoot. a good looking computer will look good a bad looking computer will look good under good light. make sure you have lots and lots of light. my profile pic i took at work with a phone with all the lights turned on. the paint looks like crap up close but the pic doesn't look half bad.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 @4.2GHZ | MSI 970A-G 46| Gskill Sniper 2X4GB 2400| Samsung 840 EVO 120GB| NZXT Phantom 410 gunmetal|

Apevia 680W Iceberg| HIS R9-270X| WD green 3TB| 

Natural light if possible. Depth of field is pretty but certainly not necessary. As well as low angled shots of your peripherals. Pretty but not necessary. Highlight important parts of build, with close angled shot. I appreciate pictures of monitors turned off or low brightness (no bright white screens). Flashed shots in dimly lit room is pretty tacky and doesnt best display the beauty of the build.

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

Amateur videographer/photographer here to get some learnin' on.

- Never use flash

- Set your ISO as low as possible, like around 100

- Never shoot while holding the camera in your hands, make good use of the timed capture feature.

- Use a tripod, or improvise by using something soft but solid, like a pile of folded clothes.

- Don't target your subject directly with lighting, but try to get the light to deflect off of one surface and onto the subject.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Amateur videographer/photographer here to get some learnin' on.

- Never use flash

- Set your ISO as low as possible, like around 100

- Never shoot while holding the camera in your hands, make good use of the timed capture feature.

- Use a tripod, or improvise by using something soft but solid, like a pile of folded clothes.

- Don't target your subject directly with lighting, but try to get the light to deflect off of one surface and onto the subject.

You don't need deflected light, you need soft light (which deflection happens to help with).

In my build, I had a can light with my daylight balanced bulb directly pointed at my computer, but because of the design of the bulb and can, it was softer.

overview.jpg

gpu.png

build-overview.jpg

heatsink.jpg

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Taking good pictures of a computer is the same as taking good pictures of anything. Get a good understanding of the basics. All these "never" do this and "never" do that makes me chuckle.

You don't need deflected light, you need soft light (which deflection happens to help with).

In my build, I had a can light with my daylight balanced bulb directly pointed at my computer, but because of the design of the bulb and can, it was softer.

overview.jpg

gpu.png

build-overview.jpg

heatsink.jpg

Man those pictures are nice, especially the last one. What's your camera and lens? =D

Man those pictures are nice, especially the last one. What's your camera and lens? =D

Nikon D7100, and those photo use a mix of Nikon 18-55 and the Nikon 50mm 1.8G.

Some of my photos also use the Nikon 70-300 VR, but those are only in my actual build log.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Dont agree with any that are saying not to take photos with flash. I took these with two Elinchrom D-lite 4's and they could easily be replicated with Speedlites or possibly even with on camera flash. 

11878000125_d1fe04839f_z.jpg
650D - ENVY by Mat Teague, on Flickr

If you decided not to use flash then you have the option of doing a longer exposure. You can set the camera up on a tripod and put the shutter speed down into seconds. This will allow you to gain the needed light to get the correct exposure.