Choosing a cooler, Phanteks enthoo evolve shift

Sebastian Whitehead

I am planning a new comptuer build and with the help of PC part picker i have come up with a short list of coolers that would, although i am open for other options so if you know of something better please let me know. I will be using a second gen ryzen cpu (looking to overclock) but i can figure out which of the cpu coolers would work best for the price.

- Corsair - H80i v2
- Noctua - NH-L9x65

- Cooler Master - MasterLiquid 120

Thanks for the help in advance

What's your budget?

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

4 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

What's your budget?

its flexable enough to accomidate any of the options

Well, I'll give you my opinion on coolers and my recommendations. Even though AIO water coolers have their advantages, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in my opinion, as they are expensive, don't really perform better than good air coolers and tend to be noisy and may fail or leak. If you value looks more than these factors, by all means, go for an AIO water cooler. However, if you do, do not go for 120mm or 140mm AIOs, as they don't perform that well. If you want to go for an AIO, I would look at 240mm or 280mm AIOs, at least. If you want to go with an air cooler, I would go for a Noctua NH-D15, as it performs as well as good AIO's, while being quieter. If you find the brown fans hideous (you wouldn't be the first one), you can either spend more money on some of these fans and swap them with the original ones. Or, as a much cheaper alternative that performs nearly the same at the cost of being a couple decibels louder and doesn't feature brown fans, you could go with a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

10 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Well, I'll give you my opinion on coolers and my recommendations. Even though AIO water coolers have their advantages, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in my opinion, as they are expensive, don't really perform better than good air coolers and tend to be noisy and may fail or leak. If you value looks more than these factors, by all means, go for an AIO water cooler. However, if you do, do not go for 120mm or 140mm AIOs, as they don't perform that well. If you want to go for an AIO, I would look at 240mm or 280mm AIOs, at least. If you want to go with an air cooler, I would go for a Noctua NH-D15, as it performs as well as good AIO's, while being quieter. If you find the brown fans hideous (you wouldn't be the first one), you can either spend more money on some of these fans and swap them with the original ones. Or, as a much cheaper alternative that performs nearly the same at the cost of being a couple decibels louder and doesn't feature brown fans, you could go with a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

how ever true that may be i am working with a very restictive space so my options are quite limited when it comes down to good air coolers

2 minutes ago, Sebastian Whitehead said:

how ever true that may be i am working with a very restictive space so my options are quite limited when it comes down to good air coolers

what case do you have?

it will be the phanteks enthoo evolve shift

3 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

what case do you have?

Just now, Sebastian Whitehead said:

it will be the phanteks enthoo evolve shift

Ohh, it was right in the title, I'm embarrassed that I've missed it. That case really doesn't allow for big air coolers, or water coolers, for that matter, and in that case (no pun intended), your best options are probably the ones you have listed. It's just a matter of deciding which one performs best for the price.

Just now, bruny06 said:

Ohh, it was right in the title, I'm embarrassed that I've missed it. That case really doesn't allow for big air coolers, or water coolers, for that matter, and in that case (no pun intended), your best options are probably the ones you have listed. It's just a matter of deciding which one performs best for the price.

there in lies my predicament

Just now, Sebastian Whitehead said:

there in lies my predicament

Sorry, I meant to tell you to watch reviews on each of the coolers, I really don't know exactly how each stacks up against each other. I can see the case can support a 140mm AIO, so, I would probably go with one of those. Maybe an NZXT Kraken?