How to tell if a RX 570 was used for mining

ashu1106

Im getting a really good deal on sapphire rx 570 nitro+ . It's from June 2017. The owner is saying that the card was just used for gaming. But I still want to check how much healthy the card is and was it used for mining or not. I there some way?

There's really not. Ex-mining cards are fine to purchase. I've had several come through here without any issues, and my own GTX 1070 and GTX 1060 6GB were set up as mining cards, run continuously for several straight months. Both are back in use as gaming GPUs today, and I'd never know if I hadn't mined on them myself. Absolute worst realistic case, you might have to blow out some dust and replace the thermal paste.

What's more important is what the card physically looks like and was where the system was set up. Ask the guy where the computer was placed. If he says that it was on a desk, you're probably ok as long as it checks out visually. If he says that it was sitting on the carpet sucking up cat hair and dog piss, you have issues. If you look at the card and it's absolutely packed with dust, it's fair to ask for a reduction in price because of how much cleaning you're going to have to do, or to walk away entirely. Whether or not a card was mined on has far less to do with its future prognosis than the overall environment it was used in and how much care was taken to keep it in good working order.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

It doesn't matter, if the card works fine buy ti.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Look all over card for scorch marks, see if both fans spin, and if it boots into windows.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

Look all over card for scorch marks, see if both fans spin, and if it boots into windows.

Lol I don't think a burned GPU with broken fans is what the result of mining is, but a graphics card with these issues is definitely one to avoid

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Lol I don't think a burned GPU with broken fans is what the result of mining is, but a graphics card with these issues is definitely one to avoid

I mean, if they are mining, they are probably running at max fan speed with like 0 inches of space between them for 24/7, a fan fails, and a mosfet gets too hot and burns lol

I've seen a "just out of box" GPU and the back was scorched.

32 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

"Scorch marks"? Did you not RMA your EVGA 1070 in time?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.