Are extension cables bad or good?

ZidaneTribal

Hi,

I'm planning to use extension cable for my 8pin cpu, 24pin, and 8pin vga for aesthetic purpose. Are they bad? reduce performance? or can damage our power supply?

My current power supply is corsair RMX 550w.

TIA

They do not do anything bad.

It's literally just a cable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

They introduce a little bit of resistance, depending on how long your cable is, it might affect the performance.

For reference, shielded 22 AWG twisted pair cables have capacitance in the range of 100-240 pF/m. So the maximum bus length of an I2C link is about 1 meter at 100 Kbaud, or 10 meters at 10 Kbaud. Unshielded cable typically has much less capacitance, but should only be used within an otherwise shielded enclosure.

source

Edit: for your application, don't worry about it.

it's a cable, the longer run technically speaking introduces more resistance which results in more voltage drop, so in theory you might not overclock as far as you could before, but you would need like bleeding edge, couple of Megahertz faster and you aren't stable level OC to ever notice, provided they are quality cables and not complete trash and of a thinner gauge or uses Aluminum in place of Copper strands or some other shit like that, in otherwords don't just buy the cheapest shit set you can find, get the nice CableMod Pro ones.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

1 hour ago, CodeNova said:

They introduce a little bit of resistance, depending on how long your cable is, it might affect the performance.

source

my 8pin cpu extension 20cm, 24pin power 25cm, 8pin gpu extension 25cm

46 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

it's a cable, the longer run technically speaking introduces more resistance which results in more voltage drop, so in theory you might not overclock as far as you could before, but you would need like bleeding edge, couple of Megahertz faster and you aren't stable level OC to ever notice, provided they are quality cables and not complete trash and of a thinner gauge or uses Aluminum in place of Copper strands or some other shit like that, in otherwords don't just buy the cheapest shit set you can find, get the nice CableMod Pro ones.

He told me that he used good quality product. Here is one of the examples

SAVE_20190307_164339.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ZidaneTribal said:

my 8pin cpu extension 20cm, 24pin power 25cm, 8pin gpu extension 25cm

He told me that he used good quality product. Here is one of the examples

It looks fine, rule of thumb, the thicker the wire, the better.

12 minutes ago, CodeNova said:

It looks fine, rule of thumb, the thicker the wire, the better.

fiuh.. Im relieved then.

Glad my extension cables are good.

IMG_20190226_191553.jpg

IMG_20190210_194346.jpg

11 hours ago, CodeNova said:

source

Yeah, a few micro ohms, which will literally not make any significant change to the voltage.

Also even if it did change the voltage slightly it would not matter because all components like the motherboard and GPU have their own power regulation circuitry.

If the voltage is 0.01v too low it will simply draw a bit more current.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020