Western Digital Storage Config

I'm doing a new PC build and wanted three NVMe drives. One drive would be for Linux, as I want that to be my main OS, one would be for Windows, and the third would be for my games. Would there be any issues if I used two WD Green or Blue drives for the operating systems and a WD Black for my games?

I'd also like to add two WD Red drives in RAID to keep all my photos, documents, and ripped media on. That way I can view it on either Linux and Windows without having to switch back and forth. That can come later though.

Generally I'd use the faster drives for the OS, and the slower drives for games.

But yea you can mix and match drives in. asystem.

For the raid drives, are these HDDs? If so don't use red drives are there smr and not for RAID use. Get the red plus or adove drives. 

Generally I'd avoid RAID on the desktop, and just use a single drive with backups. Gonna make it easier with dual booting too. 

Any reason to not just get a single large drive? Paritions will handle this just fine btw.

Keep in mind that you may run out of pcir lanes doing this and cause your gpu to go into x8 mode.

24 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Any reason to not just get a single large drive? Paritions will handle this just fine btw.

Keep in mind that you may run out of pcir lanes doing this and cause your gpu to go into x8 mode.

It's one of my many idiosyncrasies. The easiest way I can explain it is with the old saying "A place for everything, and everything in its place." In my mind, operating systems should be on their own dedicated drive. Anything less than just drives me up the wall for whatever reason.

On top of that, I reinstall my operating system at least once a year. I've always put my games on a secondary drive so I don't need to re-download them all.

How does one calculate the amount of PCIe lanes they need?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Generally I'd use the faster drives for the OS, and the slower drives for games.

Maybe my thinking is flawed then. I always thought you wanted the faster drive where your games are stored. But I guess since it's Steam that runs them, then that would be the drive that has the fastest speeds. Would this still be the case if I use a third-party mod manager like Vortex?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For the raid drives, are these HDDs? If so don't use red drives are there smr and not for RAID use. Get the red plus or adove drives. 

Generally I'd avoid RAID on the desktop, and just use a single drive with backups. Gonna make it easier with dual booting too. 

smr?

They would be HDD. I was only thinking about adding them to the desktop because my case has a drive cage that holds 2 HDDs. There is also space for 3 SSDs on the backside of the motherboard tray. I'm really just looking for ways to maximize my storage options inside the case down the line before I consider something like a NAS. Because why not?

In my mind, the ideal configuration would be three operating systems on three separate NVMe drives, with a SSD allocated to each, and the HDDs would hold all my pictures, documents, movies, music, and what have you to be viewed across all three operating system if possible. Then I would build out a NAS for backups and the like.

I know, it's kinda weird. But I've always been a weirdo.

Let me ask you this then. Would games benefit being on a NVMe drive significantly more than a SSD, and what would give me the best bang for my buck out of the option below?

1. Two WD Black NVMe drives.

2. One WD Black NVMe (OS) and one WD Black SATA SSD (games).

3. One WD Black NVMe (OS) and one WD Blue/Green NVMe (games).

4. One WD Black NVMe (OS) and one WD Blue/Green SATA SSD (games).

If it makes a difference, the games I like to play most are RPGs, turn-based strategy, and civilization games. Think modded Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim, DA:O, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Civ 5&6, Banished, etc. And whatever newer titles catch my eye in the future along those lines.

19 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

Maybe my thinking is flawed then. I always thought you wanted the faster drive where your games are stored. But I guess since it's Steam that runs them, then that would be the drive that has the fastest speeds. Would this still be the case if I use a third-party mod manager like Vortex?

I'd gernally want things like boot up, page file, and commonly used apps to be on the fastest drive. 

Generally a midrange ssd vs a high end one will have very little noticeable performance difference for most users though.

20 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

smr?

shingled manentic recording. Basically very slow random writes, espically under sustained workloads.

20 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

They would be HDD. I was only thinking about adding them to the desktop because my case has a drive cage that holds 2 HDDs. There is also space for 3 SSDs on the backside of the motherboard tray. I'm really just looking for ways to maximize my storage options inside the case down the line before I consider something like a NAS. Because why not?

How about getting one big drive now, and adding a second later one when more space is needed?

21 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

In my mind, the ideal configuration would be three operating systems on three separate NVMe drives, with a SSD allocated to each, and the HDDs would hold all my pictures, documents, movies, music, and what have you to be viewed across all three operating system if possible. Then I would build out a NAS for backups and the like.

Yea that also works. You can store games and other files on the boot drives, so you can get 4tb drives instead of 2 drives for each os.

21 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

Let me ask you this then. Would games benefit being on a NVMe drive more than a SSD, and what would give me the best bang for my buck out of the option below?

1. Two WD Black NVMe drives.

2. One WD Black NVMe (OS) and one WD Black SSD (games).

3. One WD Black NVMe (OS) and one WD Blue/Green NVMe (games).

4. One WD Black NVMe (OS) and one WD Blue/Green SSD (games).

Best bang for the buck is probably all blue/green drives. I don't see any uses here where a black drive would make a significant difference. 

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How about getting one big drive now, and adding a second later one when more space is needed?

Yeah, I'm not planning on buying everything now. Sorry if it came across that way. Right now I'll focus on just two drives. One NVMe for Windows and one SATA SSD for my games. I just won't keep my games on the same drive as my OS.

7 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

Yeah, I'm not planning on buying everything now. Sorry if it came across that way. Right now I'll focus on just two drives. One NVMe for Windows and one SATA SSD for my games. I just won't keep my games on the same drive as my OS.

I generally don't see a issue storing games on the same drive as the OS. Performance won't be a problem, and now its pretty easy to get cheap large drive like 4TB m.2 drives.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I generally don't see a issue storing games on the same drive as the OS. Performance won't be a problem, and now its pretty easy to get cheap large drive like 4TB m.2 drives.

I've had issues with modded games being on the same drive as my operating system in the past. I've always kept them on a separate drive because of it.

Also because I do yearly reinstalls of my operating systems. Having my games and stored data on a drive separate from the operating system means I don't need to download everything again. It's a lot easier to point Steam at a D: drive instead of waiting for 50+ games to download.

8 hours ago, Debatable6535 said:

It's one of my many idiosyncrasies. The easiest way I can explain it is with the old saying "A place for everything, and everything in its place." In my mind, operating systems should be on their own dedicated drive. Anything less than just drives me up the wall for whatever reason.

On top of that, I reinstall my operating system at least once a year. I've always put my games on a secondary drive so I don't need to re-download them all.

How does one calculate the amount of PCIe lanes they need?

Pretty simple. If you have a ryzen 7600x for example.you have 20 lanes. A normal nvme takes 4. So you hvae 8 left. A normal gpu asks for 16. x8 however is often enough.

You could also just sata ssd it. Its just an os doesnt matter a single bit if its an nvme or decent sata there like a mx500 samsung evo or wd blue

19 minutes ago, jaslion said:

you have 20 lanes. A normal nvme takes 4. So you hvae 8 left.

The math ain't mathing. Also i thought the 7600x has 24?

19 minutes ago, Ryker Robb said:

The math ain't mathing. Also i thought the 7600x has 24?

3*4 = 12

20-12 = 8

I confused a different cpu you have 24 lanes indeed. Technically 28 but 4 are reservated for  the chipset.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

3*4 = 12

most am5 motherboards have only one or at most two m.2 slots connected to the cpu, the rest will be connected to the chipset.

So it's actually 2*4 = 8

24-8 = 16

1 minute ago, Ryker Robb said:

most am5 motherboards have only one or at most two m.2 slots connected to the cpu, the rest will be connected to the chipset.

It depends some x670's do do 3x cpu and finding a board eith many m.2 slots and a pcie duplication chipset is rare and not cheap

19 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It depends some x670's do do 3x cpu

Which ones?