How to best plan out a loop for a wall mounted pc.

Hello everyone. I am trying to build a water cooled, soft line, wall mounted pc. I am going to have 2 rads, a cpu and gpu block, and a sc600 pump and a generic reservoir. The image below is a sketchup model of how I am planning on laying it out. I am planning to have water go from reservoir -> pump -> radiator on the left -> gpu  -> radiator in between motherboard and gpu -> cpu -> reservoir. Is there a better way to plan this out?1657527419_pclayoutupdated.PNG.dead57ca72986143c50d012c3e6eb00d.PNG

Res—->pump—->cpu—->rad1—>GPU—->rad2–>res.

the water must go into a GPUs or cpu first. Or the first rad is pretty much useless.

also, why is the GPUs not on the motherboard? Are you using a pie extension or something?

17 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

the water must go into a GPUs or cpu first. Or the first rad is pretty much useless

Nah, it's about where the loop stabilizes (temperature wise), which doesn't change with loop order, only with dissipation capacity. 

OP: Literally doesn't matter what the loop order is for temps, the one rule is res feeds pump, otherwise run your loop whichever way is easy for you and looks good to you

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

4 hours ago, MojangYang said:

the water must go into a GPUs or cpu first. Or the first rad is pretty much useless.

Except when the water comes back around and then goes through the rad..

For OP: Go with what looks best to you

I think it's not forbidden to link "competitors" videos in this forum, excuse me if it was !

Jayz2Cents posted a full video about it, swapping components in the loop order. The temps difference is not noticeable.

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

Ok thank you all for your replies.

Why not make it symmetrical?

id only do the order based on the runs. Being short, clean and easy to do. 

Like having it raises off the wall and doing pass throughs. Then having lighting on the back defused. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

13 hours ago, MojangYang said:

also, why is the GPUs not on the motherboard? Are you using a pie extension or something?

THIS IS NOT HOW WATERCOOLING WORKS!!!!! Sorry but if you don't understand how something works don't comment on it, water temp will equalise throughout the system meaning it does not matter where you put a radiator so long as you have one.

Keep your pump and res at the lowest point. it will make it easier to deal with in the future in regards to draining and filling the loop.

Consider somthign like below.

Layout.thumb.png.b17f7bf45cf5bd5ce4c15885d020ef2c.png

Maybe consider having the GPU above the MB instead of below , would require a longer Riser but still.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

46 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Keep your pump and res at the lowest point. it will make it easier to deal with in the future in regards to draining and filling the loop.

Consider somthign like below.

Maybe consider having the GPU above the MB instead of below , would require a longer Riser but still.

If you put the res and pump higher then it will make it easier to bleed the loop of air. you want a drain port at the lowest part of the loop.

4 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

If you put the res and pump higher then it will make it easier to bleed the loop of air. you want a drain port at the lowest part of the loop.

Aye thats another thing to consider, res up high and pump down low would work.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

Aye thats another thing to consider, res up high and pump down low would work.

The pump doesn't need to be the lowest part of the loop, I don't understand where this idea has come from? Most res/pump combos aren't the lowest part of a loop.

42421705_10155760032671847_6726172107002085376_o.jpg.ccf94f49863dffcdc56bdb793a36016f.jpg

Res should always be at the top and pump on bottom. You’ll fill the whole loop before you even start the pump. If build right. No excuse on a wall mount. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

The pump doesn't need to be the lowest part of the loop, I don't understand where this idea has come from? Most res/pump combos aren't the lowest part of a loop.

Res pump combos dont have to worry about it , as the res is above the pump.

but seperatly, if u were to put the pump at the highest point it owuld a right bitch to prime.

So it doesnt have to be at the lowest point sure ..its just a good rule of thumb.

i supose more accuratly u would say, "pump below the res and after it in loop order".. but for th most part people just find it easier to say "pump at lowest point)

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Res should always be at the top and pump on bottom. You’ll fill the whole loop before you even start the pump. If build right. No excuse on a wall mount. 

This is the first time i've heard this, ever. In the years i've been watercooling not one person has said this to me. In most builds I see the pump isn't the lowest part and the res is never the highest due to roof mounted rads.

C

13 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

This is the first time i've heard this, ever. In the years i've been watercooling not one person has said this to me. In most builds I see the pump isn't the lowest part and the res is never the highest due to roof mounted rads.

Well a pc case and wall mount arent always the same. I’ve done it plenty of times. Comes down to the build. The principle doesn’t change. People get hung up on the pump staving instead of actual fluid dynamics. 

The res or pump can be anywhere, doesn’t mean I’m not gonna open something up at the very top and fill the entire loop from that spot. Waste time doing it any other way. 

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

C

Well a pc case and wall mount arent always the same. I’ve done it plenty of times. Comes down to the build. The principle doesn’t change. People get hung up on the pump staving instead of actual fluid dynamics. 

The res or pump can be anywhere, doesn’t mean I’m not gonna open something up at the very top and fill the entire loop from that spot. Waste time doing it any other way. 

So now you're saying it doesn't matter? The only things that matter when making a loop is make sure the drain is the lowest, the pump is fed fluid, and the fill port is the high up.

1 hour ago, Benjeh said:

So now you're saying it doesn't matter? The only things that matter when making a loop is make sure the drain is the lowest, the pump is fed fluid, and the fill port is the high up.

Well if you hardline it and don’t make a way to easily open a port at the top it matters. If you build it properly it doesn’t matter. I prefer to just open the res as the top of the loop and fill the loop through each component on its way to the pump at the bottom where my drains tend to be. 

It doesn’t matter unless your in space. 

9 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well if you hardline it and don’t make a way to easily open a port at the top it matters. If you build it properly it doesn’t matter. I prefer to just open the res as the top of the loop and fill the loop through each component on its way to the pump at the bottom where my drains tend to be. 

It doesn’t matter unless your in space. 

Have had soft and hard tubing, have had zero issues filling or draining a loop, it makes zero difference.

8 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

Have had soft and hard tubing, have had zero issues filling or draining a loop, it makes zero difference.

Building a lot of loops and having issues has nothing to do with what i said.

Just point out tips, taking the hose off the highest component, and filling the loop all at once is what I was saying. Having the res at top normally means a larger opening for those that don’t know what a funnel is. Using headline makes that a tad harder when you have all the component using pass throughs and no T fitting. 

Fill it faster being built a certain way or cycle the pump a bunch of times because you can only do as much as the res holds. End result is the same. Same with draining. Didn’t say there are problems doing it a certain way. 

Building a lot of loops and having issues has nothing to do with what i said.

Just point out tips, taking the hose off the highest component, and filling the loop all at once is what I was saying. Having the res at top normally means a larger opening for those that don’t know what a funnel is. Using headline makes that a tad harder when you have all the component using pass throughs and no T fitting. 

Fill it faster being built a certain way or cycle the pump a bunch of times because you can only do as much as the res holds. End result is the same. Same with draining. Didn’t say there are problems doing it a certain way. 

You have a way of overcomplicating things where as myself have trained to be a designer so solutions are my focus. If you don't have a fill bottle after planning a complex loop then you can easily cheat by filling the loop from a rad fill port, don't have one? Ok, GPU blank, screw a fitting in bit of soft tube and a funnel pressed into it. Work smarter not harder. Also this voids what you're saying because this is a wall build, the res will be easy to get to. take the lid off and fill, also because its a wall build, a longer res can be used that exceeds the capacity of the rads and blocks. My loop will take 1 full fill and then just top it up as the coolant gets low. Thats when i'm being lazy. Oh and to make my life even easier, When I was hardline before the fittings failed, I used rotary fittings.... I can unscrew the top of my res, lean it forward and fill. ??

45 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

You have a way of overcomplicating things where as myself have trained to be a designer so solutions are my focus. If you don't have a fill bottle after planning a complex loop then you can easily cheat by filling the loop from a rad fill port, don't have one? Ok, GPU blank, screw a fitting in bit of soft tube and a funnel pressed into it. Work smarter not harder. Also this voids what you're saying because this is a wall build, the res will be easy to get to. take the lid off and fill, also because its a wall build, a longer res can be used that exceeds the capacity of the rads and blocks. My loop will take 1 full fill and then just top it up as the coolant gets low. Thats when i'm being lazy. Oh and to make my life even easier, When I was hardline before the fittings failed, I used rotary fittings.... I can unscrew the top of my res, lean it forward and fill. ??

Yea everyone can do something the way they want. That’s why it’s custom. I’m not complicating things. Simply stating that the res doesn’t have to directly feed the pump. The ltt parrots tend to hang to that to closely. Like the definition of indirect is somehow lost in translation. Just difficult to convey opinions when people are stuck in their ways. Another drawback of the internet. 

Yea everyone can do something the way they want. That’s why it’s custom. I’m not complicating things. Simply stating that the res doesn’t have to directly feed the pump. The ltt parrots tend to hang to that to closely. Like the definition of indirect is somehow lost in translation. Just difficult to convey opinions when people are stuck in their ways. Another drawback of the internet. 

It makes life a lot easier if the res feeds the pump, then you use the pump to bleed the system, its the easiest way. I've seen a res-less system before. The rad fed the pump, it had fill ports on top so the way I would have filled that is with a res connected to the rad externally, filled it then let the air naturally bleed out, tilt the case a little then use the pump to do the rest. Emptying the res is easy, soft tube, suck, siphon out if you used hard tube, if not tilt.

Just now, Benjeh said:

It makes life a lot easier if the res feeds the pump, then you use the pump to bleed the system, its the easiest way. I've seen a res-less system before. The rad fed the pump, it had fill ports on top so the way I would have filled that is with a res connected to the rad externally, filled it then let the air naturally bleed out, tilt the case a little then use the pump to do the rest. Emptying the res is easy, soft tube, suck, siphon out if you used hard tube, if not tilt.

The res is still feeding the pump, indirectly. Result is the same, just less bleeding. Simpley giving options, anything to stay away from the cookie cutters.