MrFixitBlankFace
Go to solution Solved by MrFixitBlankFace,

INSTALLATION COMPLETE!!!!!!

Pictures:

20190309_101413.thumb.jpg.003e6e8030a85accb50dc1d4ca6d476a.jpg

20190309_101636.thumb.jpg.4927eeb16c52a874d58f2e0613163901.jpg

20190309_102504.thumb.jpg.358158308ac0ca086e94dfa105203a18.jpg

20190309_110316.thumb.jpg.b4b65ebd1b97ebcaa3a4a8fc6f0efe22.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys!!!  I wouldn't have done it without you.  Once the process looped but then I realized that I had to remove the USB while it was about to restart.  Right now, drivers and important software is getting updated.  A big help was also my relative, who actually gave me this computer to reinstall windows on.  He helped me get through the Change of Boot Order.  Now, the computer is mine to keep!!!!  Again, thanks for all the help.

Q1

Is this legit?  According to the screenshot, my Windows 10 USB Drive (created with windows media creation tool) is 10.5 GB free.  This means Windows Installation wizard only took 4.5 GB of space.  Can this mean that Windows was not fully installed on the USB.   Because the Media Creation Tool said I will need 8GB, but it only took up 4GB.

1323118861_Screenshot(3).png.68006ba900ee1723ede675e7a3beefe9.png

The Windows Drive is ESD-USB (E;).

Q2

While reinstalling windows, is there any way to abort mission if something goes wrong?  Is there any way to cancel without damaging my PC?

Q3

Which hard drive partitions should I delete when I come to the Hard Drive Deletion segment of installing windows.   Many YT videos say many different things.  Some say just cut everything, others say "split Hard Drive partitions", others keep some and delete a few.

Image result for reinstalling windows 10 partition deleting

This is not an actual screenshot but this is just to get an idea of what I am having a problem with.  

Won’t visit often..

7 hours ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Q1

Is this legit?  According to the screenshot, my Windows 10 USB Drive (created with windows media creation tool) is 10.5 GB free.  This means Windows Installation wizard only took 4.5 GB of space.  Can this mean that Windows was not fully installed on the USB.   Because the Media Creation Tool said I will need 8GB, but it only took up 4GB.

Q2

While reinstalling windows, is there any way to abort mission if something goes wrong?  Is there any way to cancel without damaging my PC?

Q3

Which hard drive partitions should I delete when I come to the Hard Drive Deletion segment of installing windows.   Many YT videos say many different things.  Some say just cut everything, others say "split Hard Drive partitions", others keep some and delete a few.

This is not an actual screenshot but this is just to get an idea of what I am having a problem with.  

Yes the windows install files are around 4.5gb I don't know why it asks for 8, it's stupid.

Yes you can cancel if something goes wrong, you'll probably need to format the drive to try again.

Just delete all the partitions on the drive your trying to install on. Just make sure you don't delete the partition from the install usb.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

You can abort up until the point that you start re allocating hard drive partitions. The split OS drive is up to you. I always just leave the OS drive as one partition since I store all my stuff on other drives anyway, It also makes it easier for when a drive starts failing or I need to reinstall windows. I can just delete all the partitions and and go instead of having to remember what partition I want to kill  

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

10 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Q1

Windows 10 can come on a DVD and since single layer DVDs offer the most compatibility, it makes sense to me that they'd want it to fit on a 4.7GB DVD.

Responding to a related answer:

5 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Yes the windows install files are around 4.5gb I don't know why it asks for 8, it's stupid.

Because you can't get a USB thumb drive between 4GB and 8GB

Q2

Reinstalling Windows reformats the drive you want it on, so it doesn't really matter if you can abort it or not. You just attempt the reinstall.

Q3

Identify which is the drive you want to install Windows on (to make this easy, unplug every other drive in the system). Then delete the entire drive. The Windows install process will recreate what's necessary. If you want an additional partition on the storage drive where Windows is installed, this will need some more work.

48 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

giphy.gif

Won’t visit often..

5 hours ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Yes you can cancel if something goes wrong, you'll probably need to format the drive to try again.

Just delete all the partitions on the drive your trying to install on. Just make sure you don't delete the partition from the install usb.

The media tool offers both 32 and 64 bit versions on the same key, so more space would be required in that case.

image.png.1db9b85ed4fdbbef2bbbb30a5ddd62c5.png

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Ok.  Thanks everyone for the tips.   Do I need to download drivers for the device before reinstalling?   If so, where do I store the drivers.   On the Windows USB?

ps.  I renamed the thread because this is where I'll post progress updates.

Won’t visit often..

Mr. President.  Lets call headquarters.

@Mira Yurizaki @Slayerking92 @Taswell @TheElectronicGeek1

Any help on my post about drivers up there?  Is it a necessity to download them?  The computer that I am planning reinstallation on is VERY low on storage

And it has not been updated in a long time.

Won’t visit often..

1 minute ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Mr. President.  Lets call headquarters.

Any help on my post about drivers up there?  Is it a necessity to download them?  The computer that I am planning reinstallation on is VERY low on storage

And it has not been updated in a long time.

The only ones you really need are the chipset, GPU, and audio. Though if Windows and the PC appears to be working just fine without them, then I'd say you don't really need to go get them.

Well, Paul just posted a video on making a key and installing windows.  check that out here (it should be at the windows timestamp):

He does go through most of the windows setup, and which drivers you should download and install first.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The only ones you really need are the chipset, GPU, and audio. Though if Windows and the PC appears to be working just fine without them, then I'd say you don't really need to go get them.

Well I already have Drivers installed, but I am asking if I need to download the latest versions.  

Won’t visit often..

14 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

No, unless it actually fixes a problem or explicitly states it's doing something you want

But when I erase all hard drive partitions, will I also erase important driver software?

Won’t visit often..

51 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

But when I erase all hard drive partitions, will I also erase important driver software?

Yes, but Windows comes with drivers either from the manufacturer themselves or ones that offer basic functionality. Also Windows Update may pull the drivers you need or update them.

14 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Yes, but Windows comes with drivers either from the manufacturer themselves or ones that offer basic functionality. Also Windows Update may pull the drivers you need or update them.

I'll take your word.

Won’t visit often..

On 3/6/2019 at 3:12 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:
On 3/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Ok.  Here's the question: How do i abort mission?

Cut the power or reset. Or spam CTRL + ALT + DEL (I think that still works)

Does it do damage to the PC??

Won’t visit often..

INSTALLATION COMPLETE!!!!!!

Pictures:

20190309_101413.thumb.jpg.003e6e8030a85accb50dc1d4ca6d476a.jpg

20190309_101636.thumb.jpg.4927eeb16c52a874d58f2e0613163901.jpg

20190309_102504.thumb.jpg.358158308ac0ca086e94dfa105203a18.jpg

20190309_110316.thumb.jpg.b4b65ebd1b97ebcaa3a4a8fc6f0efe22.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys!!!  I wouldn't have done it without you.  Once the process looped but then I realized that I had to remove the USB while it was about to restart.  Right now, drivers and important software is getting updated.  A big help was also my relative, who actually gave me this computer to reinstall windows on.  He helped me get through the Change of Boot Order.  Now, the computer is mine to keep!!!!  Again, thanks for all the help.

Won’t visit often..