What's the best way to receive money online after selling a pc?

Space_Station_X

I want to sell my PC and I will be selling through sites like gumtree or Facebook marketplace. The obvious way to get paid would be through PayPal, but I'm afraid to get scammed with the PayPal drawback after sending my PC. 

Are there any good ways of doing so without getting scammed? I can only think of a direct bank transfer

26 minutes ago, Space_Station_X said:

I want to sell my PC and I will be selling through sites like gumtree or Facebook marketplace. The obvious way to get paid would be through PayPal, but I'm afraid to get scammed with the PayPal drawback after sending my PC.

Face to face, cash in hand sales only for Gumtree and Facebook.

If you want to sell it to someone over the internet and ship it to them, list it on eBay instead.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

If you want to sell it to someone over the internet and ship it to them, list it on eBay instead.

spottys right, cash is best.

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

In a public and hard to escape place, a mall, underground stations, etc

Can't run stairs carrying a PC.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you want to sell it to someone over the internet and ship it to them, list it on eBay instead

Yeah, cash in hand sounds like the best option. I sold my previous PC on ebay and it got lost in shipping, long story short ebay doesn't like me so gumtree and Facebook are the only options. 

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Space_Station_X said:

I sold my previous PC on ebay and it got lost in shipping,

"Lost in shipping" aka buyer didn't want to pay for it.

That's why you make sure you get tracked shipping with insurance when shipping high value items like PCs.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

That's why you make sure you get tracked shipping with insurance when shipping high value items like PCs.

The buyer paid for it, I received the money, but it wasn't insured as the insurance for the package was like half the price of the PC itself :D Also it was only going 50 miles down south from where I lived, but didn't have a car or anyone to help me deliver it. 

A month later the package ended up in Norway lol, it took the courier 6 months to find it and 'deliver back to sender'. What actually happened was that they delivered it to the buyer instead of back to me, by that time the buyer received money from eBay and eBay was hunting me to pay them.

I didnt want to message the guy asking him if I can collect the pc because it was sooo long and he didn't receive his money for like 2 months from ebay so he couldve taken out the parts and said thats how it arrived. 

I sent the proof of delivery to eBay and told them that the buyer has both the money and the pc so I'm not going to pay for anything. They kept threatening me for another year and then I guess they just wrote it off as loss. 

Even though the package wasn't insured I feel like they should compensate for it going to another country and being lost for 6 months and at the end delivering it to the wrong address anyway.... but they just said, hey we deliver it :D

A lesson of doing business online always ship using tracking and full insurance - especially if the cost is over $100. If insurance makes it too expensive? Then you shouldn't sell it online.

I'd suggest Facebook Marketplace with a very clearly indicated "Local pickup only. Cash only".

Also use whatever similar local equivalents you have to Craigslist and Kijiji.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you are shipping and don't want to risk false claims, then cash on delivery is probably the best bet. The buyer will just have to make sure someone is home when the arrives.

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

I really can’t overstate tracked shipping. I still offer basic shipping when I sell on TradeMe, but buying tracking saves a big nightmare if it gets lost.