Power Supply Bottleneck

JohnnySpitfire
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

you mean coil wine? That can be cause by many things, and can be normal

If your power in your house was overloaded, the breaker would flip, I don't think thats the case here.

And the psu is probably using well under the 10 amps max.

Hi all,

I noticed the problem when I heard a clicking noise coming from my graphics card, and I read that it is caused by capacitors charging and discharging quickly. Since I have my power supply power connected to a 10 amp multi board, and the input for my power supply is 10 amps. Would this be causing an issue?, as I have a 1.5 amp monitor connected to the same multi board.

Also my power supply is 650W.

Thanks in advance.

If your power in your house was overloaded, the breaker would flip, I don't think thats the case here.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thanks for the speedy reply, This information is a lot of help.

8 minutes ago, JohnnySpitfire said:

I noticed the problem when I heard a clicking noise coming from my graphics card

A clicking noise coming from a graphics card? Are you certain the noise was coming from the graphics card? Clicking noises would typically be a dying HDD. There's nothing really in a graphics card that clicks, except maybe a fan getting caught on something...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

A clicking noise coming from a graphics card? Are you certain the noise was coming from the graphics card? Clicking noises would typically be a dying HDD. There's nothing really in a graphics card that clicks, except maybe a fan getting caught on something...

Thanks for the response, I think that the clicking noise was a fan, as it is not a problem anymore, but I have found that the wining noise that was occurring is a common problem for my gpu (gigabyte g1 1070).

1 hour ago, JohnnySpitfire said:

Since I have my power supply power connected to a 10 amp multi board

Thats 10A of your grid's (AC) voltage - Probable 120V or 240V.

So the power it can provide is roughly 10A times 240 or 120V. So 2400W or 1200W

2 hours ago, JohnnySpitfire said:

input for my power supply is 10 amps.

Your power supply is most certainly not pulling 10A from the wall. It isn't constant.

It uses a "pull" design meaning it adjusts its power delivery based on what your computer components need. The more stress your computer is under, the more power it consumes.

You'll likely be pulling 100 to 350w from the wall.

2 hours ago, JohnnySpitfire said:

1.5 amp monitor connected to the same multi board.

Thats 1.5A from the 24V it's power supply delivers. That's .075A or 0.15A from the wall.

A fan was probably hitting a wire or something, causing the clicking noise.