ISP Copyright Infringement Email Notice.

BLCT

Did I fuck up? I used PIA, and downloaded a game. Leading to an email from my ISP (Bell Canada). Not sure what to do next (pretty terrified), It really scares me that they exactly know what files were downloaded. Reading the email quotes "Please note that receipt of a content owner's notice may not mean there has been any legal action against you.". According to the email, the public IP that was stated was my non VPN IP, and not the IP on the VPN. Also, I streamed this game on Twitch.tv with a facecam. Am I SOL?

In the case that there is legal action against me, anyone know how long will it take to receive notification?  

-Also I used Utorrnet.

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

2 minutes ago, BLCT said:

Did I fuck up? I used PIA, and downloaded a game. Leading to an email from my ISP (Bell Canada). Not sure what to do next (pretty terrified), It really scares me that they exactly know what files were downloaded. Reading the email quotes "Please note that receipt of a content owner's notice may not mean there has been any legal action against you.". According to the email, the public IP that was stated was my non VPN IP, and not the IP on the VPN. Also, I streamed this game on Twitch.tv with a facecam. Am I SOL?

In the case that there is legal action against me, anyone know how long will it take to receive notification?  

-Also I used Utorrnet.

I'm not 100% sure about the IP and why it happened. But, you can basically ignore the email. They are just a bunch of hot air (especially in the US). Your ISP couldn't care less what you do but the Copyright Holder does. You probably will have no action taken, especially a first offense. 

As to the IP issue, maybe the VPN disconnected midway through the Download? Maybe there is a setting in uTorrent. I'm not sure, but this isn't the forum to discuss piracy. 

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

5 minutes ago, BLCT said:

-Also I used Utorrnet.

Ignore it, deny everything.

The burden of proof is on them, not you. If you take any action, that's admitting to them they might have a case.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

You deserve it for not using qbittorrent

Jokes aside, you can probably ignore it and get something better than PIA (like ExpressVPN for being good and ProtonVPN for using military fucking grade encryption but not many locations but its still cheap)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ignore it, deny everything.

The burden of proof is on them, not you. If you take any action, that's admitting to them they might have a case.

Will do, Thanks.

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

If you are in Canada, just treat those emails like spam and delete them. 

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Don't freak out about it. It happens when torrenting, alot of companies will monitor torrent peers and send that to their is automatically. The same gets sent to my seed box every so often. 

Also

Deny, deny, deny

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

9 hours ago, BLCT said:

-Also I used Utorrnet.

First of all, check your VPN settings, because they should not have gotten your ISP's IP address. Sounds to me like you have something not setup right. Secondly most Copy right holders dont give two fucks about people like you AKA the downloaders, they much rather go after the people making the content available on the internet. Basically this is just them tapping you on the shoulder saying dont do it again. Most would just disregard these types of letters. 

The only time I would be scared of one of these letters is if A) Its from an Attorney B) Its from the courts. All the ISP does is forward these letters to their customers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.