More comfortable with membrane

I've recently got my first mechanical keyboard (blackwidow chroma v2 w/green switches)  and I love doing anything but playing fps games with it. Is this normal? I was using an old microsoft membrane keyboard before. (wired keyboard 500)

Whenever I use the razer keyboard on csgo I play really bad, my movement feels slow.

With the mechanical I also have a lot more spelling mistakes and multiple keystrokes when I only want to press one key. I feel like the mechanical keys are too light for typing.

All advice is appreciated. 

I had this problem too. But after a numerous amount of hours of use, I wouldn't go back to membrane. The only thing I struggle with sometimes is my keyboard not having a numpad but thats it.

You may just need to get used to it, but mechanical clicky switches (such as the Razer Greens) are quite different and have a way more noticable point of activation and thus game/type a lot differently.

Clicky switches not know to be the best for gaming (although that is highly personal, everyone likes different things), but for typing clicky switches are actually hailed as the best option out there.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Felt the same way at first, but when you get used to the lighter feel then typing for a long time is so much more comfortable. Even more so once you get used to it enough that you don't need to bottom out the key on every key press.

There is of course always the option of just swapping between keyboards.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

you can always get a different switch, I type fine on cherry MX reds, and can type fine on MX Speed silvers, however, if you want something heavier, there are MX Blacks, and MX Greens (no relation to Razer Greens, these are heavier)

just use whatever you want to use and you're most comfortable with, nobody has to work and live with it other than you. So if you can game or type better on the membranes, go for it. Maybe also try another keyboard and/or switch type, not all mechanical keyboards are the same. Some have a slightly better spacing than others which may influence your ability to write correctly, I have the phenomenon at work, where I had to test 2 or 3 keyboards to find the one I like the most (ok that's the luxury of working, just borrow a keyboard from your coworkers :) )

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

thanks to everyone for the advice/tips. I'm now typing faster and better with the razer keyboard, still not as fast as I'd like but I'm getting there. I've heard cherry mx red are good for gaming. I'll probably get a cougar puri tkl which is the cheapest cherry mx red tkl keyboard i can get. 

I think you mean rubber domes, not membrane. Unless you're more comfortable with native 2 key rollover.

8 hours ago, b emoji said:

I think you mean rubber domes, not membrane. Unless you're more comfortable with native 2 key rollover.

obviously i'm not comfortable with 2 key roll over, I'm looking into getting a tkl rubber dome but i can't find any

2 hours ago, nachomartin said:

obviously i'm not comfortable with 2 key roll over, I'm looking into getting a tkl rubber dome but i can't find any

Take a look at the Topre Realforce 87u R2, especially the 55g version, imo those are the best rubber dome boards. The Novatouch is also pretty decent if you can find it.