Is the rx480 enough

Midniteb0ne
Go to solution Solved by Wolther,
1 hour ago, Midniteb0ne said:

He has an r5 1400 which is imo terrible, so I'm upgrading it to an r7 1700 which is just 169$ rn. I'll overclock the CPU so the difference should be negligible. And no I won't be recording or streaming at least not right now but I am going to get into Game Development and machine learning. But before I can do that I'll need to learn calculus and linear algebra and I'll need to get good at phyton so by the time I'll actually do something I'll probably have upgraded my GPU.

Which one would be better the R5 2600 or the R7 1700 assuming that I overclock both of them to 3.8-4.0 GHz?

R5 2600 is ideal since it gives a higher single threaded performance when compared to the R7 1700. For your sake and not just word of mouth I would look into some (recent) benchmarks comparing the two overclocked CPUs. Keep in mind the 2600 should be able to get a higher overclock than the 1700.  In the end it is up to you, if you feel like you want to get serious with more intensive workloads find out the power needed to deliver those. I am not well educated on the resources those task perform but since you're getting into it I feel it maybe something important to know. For gaming six cores is more than plenty, even if you wanted to have your desktop flooded with open programs. tl;dr for gaming the six cores on the 2600 is all you need, even allows for a lot of multitasking alongside gaming. Trade off is 2 less cores for a higher single thread increase. For your future tasks I would research if you need 8 cores. If you do then might as well get the 1700 with a sacrifice to your gaming fps. 

I am going to be upgrading my PC, currently I have a i5 6500, and a GTX 960 4gb. My brother is upgrading his PC so he will give my his B350 mobo and RX480 8GB GPU. I will buy an R7 1700. Will the R7 1700 and the RX480 be enough for 144hz gaming.

BTW the monitor I have is AOpen 24HC1Q(144Hz, 1080p, VA panel, Freesync, 4ms input lag)

depends, on esports titles it should, but i wouldn't go to a 1700 then if you don't have it already

You will need to adjust settings in games to allow the rx 480 push out alot of frames. In esport games it shouldn't be an issue. 

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

depends, on esports titles it should, but i wouldn't go to a 1700 then if you don't have it already

Why wouldn't you recommend the 1700. I mostly play eSports, I'm going to get into AAA games but I'm willing to play at medium to low settings

Be more descriptive. "Games" is too vague. Why the r7 1700, you going be recording/streaming your gameplay too? 

Just now, Midniteb0ne said:

Why wouldn't you recommend the 1700. I mostly play eSports, I'm going to get into AAA games but I'm willing to play at medium to low settings

beacuse per core performence is still more important, especially in csgo for example

then it's a better choice to take the 2600 over the 1700

19 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Also seeing as how he's giving you his mb, what's he doing with his cpu? 

He has an r5 1400 which is imo terrible, so I'm upgrading it to an r7 1700 which is just 169$ rn. I'll overclock the CPU so the difference should be negligible. And no I won't be recording or streaming at least not right now but I am going to get into Game Development and machine learning. But before I can do that I'll need to learn calculus and linear algebra and I'll need to get good at phyton so by the time I'll actually do something I'll probably have upgraded my GPU.

Which one would be better the R5 2600 or the R7 1700 assuming that I overclock both of them to 3.8-4.0 GHz?

44 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

beacuse per core performence is still more important, especially in csgo for example

then it's a better choice to take the 2600 over the 1700

I don't play csgo, I've never liked it but I do play overwatch, Fortnite, portal 2, Undertale , hollow knight , doki doki etc. But I want to play some AAA games too

Just now, Midniteb0ne said:

I don't play csgo, I've never liked it but I do play overwatch, Fortnite, portal 2, Undertale , hollow knight , doki doki etc. But I want to play some AAA games too

you can still do that

just don't expect to reach 144 fps on a 480

1 hour ago, Midniteb0ne said:

R5 2600 is ideal since it gives a higher single threaded performance when compared to the R7 1700. For your sake and not just word of mouth I would look into some (recent) benchmarks comparing the two overclocked CPUs. Keep in mind the 2600 should be able to get a higher overclock than the 1700.  In the end it is up to you, if you feel like you want to get serious with more intensive workloads find out the power needed to deliver those. I am not well educated on the resources those task perform but since you're getting into it I feel it maybe something important to know. For gaming six cores is more than plenty, even if you wanted to have your desktop flooded with open programs. tl;dr for gaming the six cores on the 2600 is all you need, even allows for a lot of multitasking alongside gaming. Trade off is 2 less cores for a higher single thread increase. For your future tasks I would research if you need 8 cores. If you do then might as well get the 1700 with a sacrifice to your gaming fps. 

I had a ryzen 7 1800x with a rx580 8gb and it is a decent setup. You won’t be running 144 FPS on a ton of games unless you turn the settings way down. 

I went from the rx580 to the rtx2060 and saw about 50% improvement in FPS at 1080p

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

7 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I had a ryzen 7 1800x with a rx580 8gb and it is a decent setup. You won’t be running 144 FPS on a ton of games unless you turn the settings way down. 

I went from the rx580 to the rtx2060 and saw about 50% improvement in FPS at 1080p

Thanks.