where is my bottleneck?

Hello.

I have a 6700k cpu and a 980ti gpu. I was wondering if they are relatively compatible (i know one is always limiting the other in some way, but generally speaking). Alternatively, if i switch to a 1070ti gpu with the same 6700k cpu, what would be the case then? more compatible with the cpu? stronger\weaker? Is there a bottleneck in these cases?

Anyone knows?

(btw i have a dell 24" screen. pretty regular. would a better screen increase performance?

Many thanks in advance!!

Overall, it's a strong combo. A good i7 and a high end graphics card will work out, you could go with a 2080ti even and be fine.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

i assume you're playing 1080p?

there is your problem

what do you mean?

3 minutes ago, billy35 said:

what do you mean?

because of the size of that monitor i assumed it would be 1080p. a lot of games are cpu bound (csgo for example) on that setup, but that doesn't mean you should change it. lower your settings a bit, overclock the cpu a bit more or go up to a higher resolution which should give you a nicer experience

btw, now that i think about it, are you running 8 gigs?

4 hours ago, billy35 said:

Hello.

I have a 6700k cpu and a 980ti gpu. I was wondering if they are relatively compatible (i know one is always limiting the other in some way, but generally speaking). Alternatively, if i switch to a 1070ti gpu with the same 6700k cpu, what would be the case then? more compatible with the cpu? stronger\weaker? Is there a bottleneck in these cases?

Anyone knows?

(btw i have a dell 24" screen. pretty regular. would a better screen increase performance?

Many thanks in advance!!

I use 6700k with gtx 1070 and theres no problem, no bottleneck, gpu being used at 100% in every games

It's a bit OC'd tho...

you should be good with the 1070ti nothing to worry about 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

I would stick with what you got until you're ready to invest in a full system upgrade. The performance increase going from a 980 Ti to a 1070 Ti isn't really worth the expenditure, and as others have hinted, at 1080p you're going to be CPU bound in most titles. 

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

12 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

because of the size of that monitor i assumed it would be 1080p. a lot of games are cpu bound (csgo for example) on that setup, but that doesn't mean you should change it. lower your settings a bit, overclock the cpu a bit more or go up to a higher resolution which should give you a nicer experience

16GB RAM DDR4 at 1066 Mhz

12 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

So lowering settings or going to a higher resolution is making it less cpu dependent?

3 minutes ago, billy35 said:

16GB RAM DDR4 at 1066 Mhz

ah, 2133 mhz it is

I'm thinking you could go higher on res (1440p) and upgrade your gpu

2 minutes ago, billy35 said:

So lowering settings or going to a higher resolution is making it less cpu dependent?

lowering settings that affect the cpu, yes. highering the resolution doesn't make less load on the cpu, just more load on the gpu

Get a 144hz 1440p monitor and get a better graphics card, your GPU is way behind your CPU

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

GPU: MSI Armour GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC

Motherboard: Asus-Prime 7370-A ATX LGA1151

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Case: Kolink Observatory RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

1 hour ago, MagnusMunch said:

Get a 144hz 1440p monitor and get a better graphics card, your GPU is way behind your CPU

1. why, what a new monitor like that do? 

2. what graphic card did you had in mind?

Depends on your budget, but for 144hz at 1440 at least a 1070ti, as for the monitor, the omen 27 inch is brilliant, it also is G-Sync capable, which will make your game look smoother and less prone to tearing, bear in mind that G-Sync only works with NVIDEA GPUs. If you dont care about 1440p you can just get a 1080p 144hz monitor, you can find them anywhere, but i'd recommend a G-Sync monitor for previous reasons. if you don't get a 1440p monitor then you could go for a 1070, no need for the TI model when gaming at 1080p really.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

GPU: MSI Armour GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC

Motherboard: Asus-Prime 7370-A ATX LGA1151

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Case: Kolink Observatory RGB ATX Mid Tower Case