Make A Video Series On How To Setup A Server Rack/Room

johnisrocking

Can Linus or someone at Linus Media Group make a video series on how to make a Server Rack/Room? Like what type of hardware or maybe even software you use or would recommend. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Servers, Networking, and Databases. Basically, just a lot of IT stuff and I know that if you were the one teaching it I would learn a lot and I also just really like your Server Room setup! So can someone make this happen, please?!?

maxresdefault.jpg

Check out the YouTube channel Level1Techs.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

So, I checked out Level1Techs on YouTube, but I didn't really find anything useful on there.

I am not trying to be mean but you have to keep in mind that most of the things LTT does are not industrial standard nor enterprise equipment.

I've seen a fair number of server rooms and datacenters and I've yet to see a self build server etc.

So the rough basics are:

• Separate locked room
  • climate controlled from the front of the racks, the backs are usually a hot channel
  • Lot's of HP ProLiant or Dell PowerEdge servers which are normally ESXi or Hyper-V Hypervisors, often clustered
  • Connected via iSCSI or SAS to storage systems like HP MSA, 3PAR or Dell EqualLogic, PowerVault
  • Usually there are Windows Servers running the Domain Controller Services, DNS, DHCP for clients
  • Linux Servers running CentOS, RedHat
  • Network equipment is usually HP, Cisco, Aruba for switches
  • Cisco, Meraki, Dell SonicWall, FortiNet, Juniper for Firewalls or routers
  • Most databases either run on MS SQL, Oracle, SAP HANA or some mySQL flavor

It greatly depends on your budget or needs.

Ok, I really appreciate that useful information. Could someone tell me where I could maybe learn about all of those types of things that Acedia mentioned about, preferably through online tutorials? Thanks for the help!

16 hours ago, johnisrocking said:

Ok, I really appreciate that useful information. Could someone tell me where I could maybe learn about all of those types of things that Acedia mentioned about, preferably through online tutorials? Thanks for the help!

If you want something to listen to I can recomment the Sysadmin today Podcast but it might be a bit too much for somebody without experience.

If you really want to get in it with zero budget, if you have Windows 10 Pro, Edu or Ent you can set up the Hyper-V feature on your current machine and try yourself at setting up a vm.

If you have an older spare system you can check out ESXi for free as a hypervisior.

You can check out if you qualify for https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/students/

Ok, I appreciate the help once again. If you can think of any other programs that cost money or not that would help, let me know.