Taiwanese horror game, Devotion, removed from Steam China due "insulting" Chinese President Xi and censored throughout China

BananaInSandals

Simplify the topic

呢嘛叭唭=你媽 87= your mother is idiot   小熊維尼習近平=Xi Jinping

The developer got punish because they said China president mother is stupid.

And it relate to freedom of speech because of that people got mad about it ?

PS, I thought the "Tech New" topic only about technology. How about add political topic in the forums?

There's a reason why my parents (Both Chinese) moved to the US. I find it amusing when the Chinese government overreacts to stuff.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 2/24/2019 at 5:09 PM, TheCMan said:

I'm SOOO glade I live in USA and not some place where the Government could ruin me as easily. Not that USA government can't hurt people here but it's harder for them to do so.

gotta defend the first amendment at all costs

On 2/25/2019 at 11:16 AM, Gegger said:

There's a reason why my parents (Both Chinese) moved to the US. I find it amusing when the Chinese government overreacts to stuff.

The government haven't respond yet. All of these nonsense is coming from players/gamers. BTW I'm sure your parents moved to the states for good reasons, hating the government is probably not one of them.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:05 PM, BananaInSandals said:

Not gonna lie but those devs are definitely dumb not to remove this crap before publishing.

They may not be interested in the Chinese audience, or at least not enough to compromise on their vision. Besides, this is definitely some free publicity everywhere else.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Alright people, time to clarify. However, before you jump to any conclusion, I would kindly ask you to have an open mind, and keep in mind that China and the US have different culture and political background. I don't really want to discuss politics tho, that is none of my business. 

1. Why are Chinese people so easily offended, especially when it comes to Taiwan?

Because they are  raised to believe that Taiwan is a part of China. Chinese government have been adding stuff to textbooks, making literally every student believe this idea. Taiwan government is doing the same thing. They have been actively removing anything related to China in their textbook, and they changed the cover of their official passport for the same reason. As far as I know, every country are doing the same thing. Propaganda is like 101 of running a government.

2. Is it really illegal to talk shit (to government/president) in China?

Yes. China is still a communism country, which is really different from the United States. So I don't expect you to understand this, but just keep an open mind. People are still allowed to complain, file a compliant, etc. It's just not allowed to talk shit based on nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

They may not be interested in the Chinese audience.

I mean, unless they hate money....

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

They may not be interested in the Chinese audience, or at least not enough to compromise on their vision

Except they immediately apologized and went as far as pulling the whole game down from Steam. You can no longer find the game on Steam atm. Also, there are rumours that the publisher, which is a Shanghai based company, was "invited for tea" by the Beijing authority.

52 minutes ago, zhubaohi said:

The government haven't respond yet.

Not exactly true. Weibo, Bilibili, and others, has been censoring Devotion's name. Those platforms are basically half government controlled, or at the very least closely following the censor guidelines from the party. 

4 minutes ago, zhubaohi said:

I mean, unless they hate money....

Indie studios are more than happy with a few hundred thousand sales, they don't need the Chinese market to make a profit.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, BananaInSandals said:

Except they immediately apologized and went as far as pulling the whole game down from Steam. You can no longer find the game on Steam atm. Also, there are rumours that the publisher, which is a Shanghai based company, was "invited for tea" by the Beijing authority.

Well, that's different then... but from the original post it seemed like it was only pulled from Steam in China.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

the original post it seemed like it was only pulled from Steam in China

It was only pulled from Steam China when I posted this post, which was like 4 days ago. :P The dev has since then pulled the game globally.