used tesla/firepro or mining card for folding?

getting into folding, alzheimers recently took the life of my grandmother and wanna do something to help the cause looking at adding a a used firepro/tesla/quadro or a mining card to my system to fold full time power draw is no issue cost isn't a huge issue whatever has the most folding power

20 minutes ago, AMDMike said:

getting into folding, alzheimers recently took the life of my grandmother and wanna do something to help the cause looking at adding a a used firepro/tesla/quadro or a mining card to my system to fold full time power draw is no issue cost isn't a huge issue whatever has the most folding power

Most power? Something in the Titan V class would work well but that'd cost a lot. I know FAH has an FP64 benchmark so I'm assuming it can use FP64, you're gonna want a GPU with good FP64 perf then, 1/4 to 1/2 would be best, but I'm guessing most FAH is done with FP32. I don't fold so I wouldn't know, but likely whatever you see cheap will work best. Quadro's/Tesla's and Firepross aren't strictly needed.

Yours faithfully

From what I've read, F@H doesn't use FP64 anymore, they ran a trial and found it's extra accuracy didn't add much and costs performance.  That being the case, a used consumer card is probably the best option since pro features won't add anything.  I'm thinking a used 1080, RX580, RX590. Anything more powerful than these cards and the GPU load will be below 100% due to the work units being too small and a waste of the extra power the GPU has.

A 1080 will get you 700-900k points per day

A RX 580 will get you about 350K points per day

It's likely a used 1080 will be your best bet and bang for the buck. if you find some for a steal you could buy more than one and have them running separate work units. Just make sure you have a power supply with enough PCI-E connectors and wattage capability.

10 hours ago, AMDMike said:

Sorry to hear about your grandmother but glad to have you start folding again with us.

Here is a list of card performance that’s fairly accurate. I can’t speak to AMD but from your handle I suspect that would be your preference. In general the Quadros and FirePros available used at a reasonable cost don’t perform that well so as others have said I’d stick with the RX 590 or a Vega 56 which AMD is rumoured to be dropping the price on in response to the GTX 1660Ti.

On the Nvidia side if your preference is used I’d personally go with a used 1070Ti over a 1080 as they perform almost as well. Just remember for Nvidia your need to leave one core/Thread free for the GPU and have a PCIe3 x4 or x8 slot available from the CPU not the PCH or Northbridge for maximizing your yield. But remember to sanity check any used prices as the GTX 1060 Ti should perform at or above a 1070.

Theres a couple of threads here where people have gotten the P106 mining cards working for folding so if you can find one used at a reasonable cost those might be an option.

The other option is to think about replacing your primary GPU with a newer or similar card for Crossfire when gaming and a boost when folding.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m