Just installed new 8GB ram, still says 2.75GB usable, please help!

Dijon

So before it used to say 4GB installed (2.75 Usable) now I got new RAM (4x2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM) from CEX, installed, (all are same speed and type and brand) turned on PC and well says 8GB installed, (2.75GB usable). I then opened up task manager, yup 2.75GB is max as it could go. I tried the msconfig solution, did not work, I tried taking out the RAM, mixing with old ones, reseating the, nope nothing. I tried taking CPU out and putting it back again, still same. Went into BIOS, says I should have 7168mb RAM memory avaliable. Unfortunatly my BIOS does not have the option to remap memory location or any of that. I basically tried everything but here is a funny thing I found out. You know when you open up resource monitor? Well I opened it up, went to memory tab and get this, it said "349MB free", but the weird thing was it said "4354MB reserved for hardware" and it keeps saying this no matter what. Should'nt it say for "reserved hardware2 max 100MB? Now I dont know if this is the cause of the problem but it could be. If any one could answer me with a solution, I would be very grateful.
Down here are the specs:
MEDION MT7 490G Desktop
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
8GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz RAM, all sticks are the same (2.75GB usable)
300WATT FSP PSU
750 HDD Storage (500GB one drive, 250GB the other, No SSD)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
ASUS Nvidia GeForce GT 240 GPU
MS-7358 Motherboard

20190220_202406.jpg

20190220_210052.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dijon said:

4GB installed (2.75 Usable

is it allocating the ram to something? try resource monitor to see what is actually using it. 

but other than that, I have no clue what exactly could be on your computer taking the ram. 

Rig 1: i7-9700k OC'd to 5.0ghz all core | EVGA XC RTX 2080Ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | ASUS PRIME Z370-P | Asetek 550LC 120mm | ADATA 480GB SSD & Toshiba P300 3TB | Cooler Master Masterbox MB500 | Win 10 Home | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless Limited Edition, Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad | 2 MSI Optix Curved 27" FHD Monitors 

(before i sold the WD drive and MSI gpu - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11946219 171 gaming. felt good.)

Rig 2: i7-7700k Stock clocks | MSI Armor GTX 1070 | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8GB | MSI Z270 A-Pro | WD Green 240GB SSD & 2TB Seagate HDD | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition | Win 10 Home | 2 HP Omen FHD 144hz 24.5" Monitors 

Rig 3: i7-6700 | GT 730 & GT 645 OEM | Some random DDR4 2133mhz 2x8gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | WD Black 2TB HDD & Toshiba 1TB HDD | Win 10 Home | 3 27" Dell FHD Monitors 

Rig 4: i7-4770 | EVGA SSC 1050ti | Some random DDR3 ram 2x2gb and 2x4gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | Stock Cooler | 1TB WD Black HDD | Win 7 Home 

RIP 

Rig 5 (dead and dismantled and sold) : i7-7820X OC'd to 4.8ghz all core | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO | Asetek 240mm AIO | WD Green 240gb SSD | Other various components that I can't remember

Rig 6 (same fate as rig 5) i7-8700k stock clocks | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8gb | MSI Z370 A-Pro | Asetek 550LC 120mm | WD Green 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB HDD | Other various components that I can't Remember 

Well maybe your windows doesnt support 8gb of memory, in short. your windows version is the 32 bit version that can only use up to 4gigs of ram if im not wrong. u may need to use the 64 bit windows version. thanks

4 minutes ago, Gilgul said:

Well maybe your windows doesnt support 8gb of memory, in short. your windows version is the 32 bit version that can only use up to 4gigs of ram if im not wrong. u may need to use the 64 bit windows version. thanks

He's running 64-bit and shown in his first screenshot

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, rcmaehl said:

He's running 64-bit and shown in his first screenshot

well didnt see that, my bad. idk whats happening lol

For hardware reserved memory you'll want to follow these steps:

• Physically swap the RAM to different slots
  • Update your BIOS from the manufacturers website
  • Replace RAM sticks
  • Replace motherboard

There's unfortunately nothing you can do within Windows to resolve this.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

13 minutes ago, Dijon said:

So before it used to say 4GB installed (2.75 Usable) now I got new RAM (4x2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM) from CEX, installed, (all are same speed and type and brand) turned on PC and well says 8GB installed, (2.75GB usable). I then opened up task manager, yup 2.75GB is max as it could go. I tried the msconfig solution, did not work, I tried taking out the RAM, mixing with old ones, reseating the, nope nothing. I tried taking CPU out and putting it back again, still same. Went into BIOS, says I should have 7168mb RAM memory avaliable. Unfortunatly my BIOS does not have the option to remap memory location or any of that. I basically tried everything but here is a funny thing I found out. You know when you open up resource monitor? Well I opened it up, went to memory tab and get this, it said "349MB free", but the weird thing was it said "4354MB reserved for hardware" and it keeps saying this no matter what. Should'nt it say for "reserved hardware2 max 100MB? Now I dont know if this is the cause of the problem but it could be. If any one could answer me with a solution, I would be very grateful.
Down here are the specs:

Did you try tinkering with windows page file setting? In its infinite wisdom windows might use a large chunk for swapping on automatic page  file settings.

That said, a bit of google on that mobo reveals more people with that issue; may be a mobo restriction not mentioned by the manufacturer. Medion is a brand that might use such parts unfortunatly.

This reminds me of a thread somewhere on a mobo with 2 ram slots that supposedly supported 32gb (manual and box said so) however not a single brand of 16gb sticks where listed in the qualified vendor list for it - go figure...

I had the same issue and spent weeks trying to figure it out. I ended up having to reinstall windows to clear it. works fine now. 

Ah well I did change the RAM and mobo, problem still occured, MEDION does have a place to install BIOS, but you need the CD that cam with the product, and well its been 11 years and I did buy this PC used. I called some PC repair guys, they all said this was very weird, so I either sell this PC and save up for at leat 1 year to spend £150 on a used gaming one or idk what to do anymore

49 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

Did you try tinkering with windows page file setting? In its infinite wisdom windows might use a large chunk for swapping on automatic page  file settings.

That said, a bit of google on that mobo reveals more people with that issue; may be a mobo restriction not mentioned by the manufacturer. Medion is a brand that might use such parts unfortunatly.

This reminds me of a thread somewhere on a mobo with 2 ram slots that supposedly supported 32gb (manual and box said so) however not a single brand of 16gb sticks where listed in the qualified vendor list for it - go figure...

51 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

• Replace RAM sticks
  • Replace motherboard

1 hour ago, Dijon said:

So before it used to say 4GB installed (2.75 Usable) now I got new RAM (4x2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM) from CEX, installed

Reboot, go into BIOS look for "Memory Remapping" or something like that.

And what Chipset does the system have by the way? Some only support 3GiB or so.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Sorry Im noob with this stuff but chipset? I have no clue what that is. CPU>> Intel Core 2 Duo E6750.

And alsomy BIOS does not have memory remap or anything like that unfotuantly.

3 hours ago, Bartholomew said:

Windows page setting? I think I did that but could you guide me through it please?

This was common in the core2 era. The bios will only be supporting this low amount, there may or may not be a bios update that lets you have more.

the k my thing we can do is identify the motherboard. For this download cpu-z and goto the mainboard tab.

then google whatever comes up and hope you can find a newer bios with a release note that says ‘now supports more than 3gb ram’

26 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

This was common in the core2 era. The bios will only be supporting this low amount, there may or may not be a bios update that lets you have more.

the k my thing we can do is identify the motherboard. For this download cpu-z and goto the mainboard tab.

then google whatever comes up and hope you can find a newer bios with a release note that says ‘now supports more than 3gb ram’

Ah well I have CPU-Z, thanks for the tip I will try this now

46 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

Could not find anything, here is the chipset though: Intel P35/G33/G31

BIOS Version 6.00 PG

Does the chipset mean anything to you guys?

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

9 minutes ago, Dijon said:

Could not find anything, here is the chipset though: Intel P35/G33/G31

BIOS Version 6.00 PG

Does the chipset mean anything to you guys?

https://ark.intel.com/products/31916/Intel-82P35-Memory-Controller

P35 should support 8GB

9 hours ago, Dijon said:

Sorry Im noob with this stuff but chipset? I have no clue what that is. CPU>> Intel Core 2 Duo E6750.

And alsomy BIOS does not have memory remap or anything like that unfotuantly.

If it doesn't have that, that's the reason.

Look for a BIOS Update.

Then look again or make a picture of the BIOS Setup -> memory part.

Maybe its even hidden somewhere else...

Its a rather basic OEM Board it seems, so that might be the Problem.

7 hours ago, Dijon said:

Idk if I am stupid or not but does this need CD or UDB to put the Updated BIOS on? Or is this a CD that should of came with the product?

Yes, you either need a CD/DVD burned or it put on a USB Thumb Drive. You can do that for example with RUFUS.

Have you checked the allocation to see if it's your GPU stealing that RAM? Could be just that simple. I don't remember where exactly in windows 7 settings that is. 

It might even be a bios setting for video card memory allocation. It's been so long since I had a core2 processor setup... 

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

13 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

• Replace RAM sticks
  • Replace motherboard

I would agree but Windows does detect it. It just doesn't want to use it almost. It has to be software.

15 hours ago, Dijon said:

20190220_210052.jpg

After plugging each of the values from Resource Monitor and it appears that Windows has "Hardware Reserved" it. I'm not sure what that means. A quick search popped this up it seems to be a setting that should not be on. You might want to try this. Let me know how it works out.HardwareReservedRAMCapture.PNG.6dc4cf5fb3b4bc10c93ca309aa6d1cf9.PNG