First Build Noob Help Me Plz

Ok. All I own as of right now is a msi b350 motherboard. Will buying a cheap psu and cheap ram fry my motherboard. i am scared that i will waste my remaining funds.

A cheap PSU can do all kinds of things, yes. Welcome to the forum.

So you're looking to build a PC and you have a motherboard. What are you gonna do with the PC, what is your budget, and what country do you live in?

1. Budget & Location

You may have listed a heap of parts that all add up to your preferred budget but it is easier if you just list the total amount you'd like to spend and the currency as well as if you'd consider going above that budget for more performance. We need the location as well because $US are different to $AUD and $CAD ect.

2. Aim

What is the system going to be used for? Web browsing, 3D work? Different systems need different levels of performance - a computer based for web browsing and office use won't handle heavy graphic design and video editing and a proper video editing system isn't good for gaming. If your aim is for gaming, please list what sort of gaming. In the same way that different usage types need different systems, you'll need a lot more power to run Far Cry 3 or Crysis 2 than you would Minecraft.

3. Monitors

How many monitors do you plan on running? Do you plan on moving to more monitors in the future? What resolution are they at too?

4. Peripherals

Do you also need to purchase peripherals such as keyboards and mice as well as monitors ect. Also please tell us if you'll need an OS such as Windows.

5. Why are you upgrading?

We ask this because you may see upgrading as the only path to solve an issue but things such as driver updates, reconfiguration or cleaning can boost performance without spending a cent.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

OK quality ~500w units can be had for ~$35.

RAM is RAM.  Just buy from a reputable company and brand.

3 minutes ago, Akane4532 said:

Will buying a cheap psu and cheap ram fry my motherboard

cheap psu: assume to be save when NOT under load say 70% or above.

might be unstable or random shut down

cheap ram : any ram should be good

What I am planning to do with the pc build is do small editing jobs, play video games that need at least 4GB of ram, and do schoolwork. My budget right now since I already have a case and monitor, not including cpu is $100-$140

8 minutes ago, Akane4532 said:

Ok. All I own as of right now is a msi b350 motherboard. Will buying a cheap psu and cheap ram fry my motherboard. i am scared that i will waste my remaining funds.

Any PSU can fry your motherboard. It's just a matter of odds, and the $18 600W Logisys arson box on the bottom shelf of the clearance rack is much more likely to do that than the $30 Corsair CX450 at eye level in the aisle.

The only downside to cheap RAM is that it looks boring. And you might not have as great a warranty on it.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

$140 budget for CPU/PSU/RAM?

No, just psu and ram

So should I buy the $35 EVGA 400W power supply? is that good?

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

$140 budget for CPU/PSU/RAM?

My understanding is cheap psu and ram. They also said not including cpu 

1 minute ago, Akane4532 said:

What cpu and gpu are you running there are a lot of questions 

2 minutes ago, Akane4532 said:

That is, hands down, the worst power supply EVGA makes. It was born dead. Check this thread out for ideas:

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

5 minutes ago, Akane4532 said:

I would never recommend that, not even on a budget. It's pretty terrible.

If you can, look for a Corsair CX450 (with the grey label). They can be had for $40-$45 if I remember correctly.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That is, hands down, the worst power supply EVGA makes. It was born dead. Check this thread out for ideas:

got it.

If you are buying from a brick and mortar store (local), the Insignia PSUs at BestBuy seem to not be horrible.  I have a ~500w unit pushing an old i7-2600k and GTX 670 without any problems.  I believe a similar power load in modern parts would be a R5 2600 and RX 580 or GTX 1070.

If you are ordering, look for anything with standard 80+ or better (bronze, gold, etc) certification.  Something like this... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012.

For RAM look for something in the 2666mhz bracket.  Something like this... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232719&ignorebbr=1

If you can find a 3200 16gb kit in your price range, def go for that.

5 minutes ago, vnbsaber said:

What cpu and gpu are you running there are a lot of questions 

Ryzen 3 with Vega 8 graphics for now. (upgrade)

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I would never recommend that, not even on a budget. It's pretty terrible.

If you can, look for a Corsair CX450 (with the grey label). They can be had for $40-$45 if I remember correctly.

understood.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

If you are buying from a brick and mortar store (local), the Insignia PSUs at BestBuy seem to not be horrible.  I have a ~500w unit pushing an old i7-2600k and GTX 670 without any problems.  I believe a similar power load in modern parts would be a R5 2600 and RX 580 or GTX 1070.

If you are ordering, look for anything with standard 80+ or better (bronze, gold, etc) certification.  Something like this... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012.

For RAM look for something in the 2666mhz bracket.  Something like this... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232719&ignorebbr=1

Best Buy usually carries the EVGA 80+ white units for more or less the same price, though, and those are significantly better than Insignia units. Pretty sure the OEM on Insignia PSUs is (or at least was) Huntkey, and Huntkey is one of those Chinese firecracker factories.

2 minutes ago, Akane4532 said:

Ryzen 3 with Vega 8 graphics for now. (upgrade)

understood.

Please clarify.

What parts do you have on hand.

What parts do you need still.

What's the budget for the remaining parts.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, LienusLateTips said:

Please clarify.

That is already clear.  They need a PSU and RAM.

5 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Please clarify.

PSU Master didn't read the hole thread? /s

He just has the b350 mobo, and needs RAM and a good PSU. The PSU he was looking at was some garbage EVGA PSU.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Get the best and largest power supply you can afford, they can be recycled and upcycled numerous times. 

Also get the most best ram you can afford, especially if you plan on upgrading your chip or gpu in the future.

Its much better to buy once and cry once, then be cheap and buy, then cry then have to rebuy then cry yet again!

2 minutes ago, xxEMOxx said:

Get a 2018 cx500 OR Similar power supply, shoot right now newegg is running a gamers day sale so there are deals to be had. 

Also get the most best ram you can afford, especially if you plan on upgrading your chip or gpu in the future.

Its much better to buy once and cry once, then be cheap and buy, then cry then have to rebuy then cry yet again!

2018 CX doesn't exist, and a decent CX500 doesn't exist.

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

PSU Master didn't read the hole thread? /s

He just has the b350 mobo, and needs RAM and a good PSU. The PSU he was looking at was some garbage EVGA PSU.

Hehehe...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/p4cMnQ/patriot-viper-4-8gb-2-x-4gb-ddr4-3000-memory-pv48g300c6k

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Q7L7YJ/corsair-cx-2017-450w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020120-na

@Akane4532

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

7 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Please clarify.

Honestly...

1. A case (gradually buying PART BY PART SLOWLY) *have*

2. CPU, motherboard, RAM, PSU, hard drive, (bought hard drive today) pretty much everything but i needed help with psu and ram because this is my first time ever getting into anything with PCs.
3. About I'd say $150 but if I need more be sure to let me know.