Help me make up my mind :)

As background, I'm a college student. So needless to say, i definitely need a relatively cheap, thin, nice looking, compact (12-13"), and light laptop. I'm currently using this 2014 i7 Lenovo K240 which i inherit from my sister because she basically never touched it somehow. 

I wanted to upgrade because i think it's about time and the damn thing been chugging along + coughing smokes. I've had this thing slammed on the ground, accidentally squished in backpack, carried around like a toy, shaken around to somehow fix my wifi adapter inside, and a general abuse from a loving college kid. After all that, the thing just keeps working.

After some research, i found that HP Envy X360 Ryzen 7 is the best pick of the bunch. It's compact, solid build quality, nice looking, a 2 in 1 which is a bonus, and its decently powerful for occasional The Sims 4 session.

With that being said, i wanted to know how's the experience on that HP laptop for anyone that's been using them. And with the release of Galaxy S10, i wanted to know whether should i choose to upgrade my S6 or my laptop above? 

Personally I would upgrade the phone if that laptop is still working.

I do understand how useful a new good functioning laptop would be for your college life though.. its a difficult pick ?

If you think economical, the laptop makes more sense, very useful even after 2 years, the Samsung Galaxy S10 will probably have another brother in 2 years for around the same price :)

Location? Budget? Usage? Any preference on weight, battery life and display size?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Location? Budget? Usage? Any preference on weight, battery life and display size?

I'm in SEA, so price might hike up after decently heavy tax. 

Laptop budget? I'd like to keep it under $1000

Usage? Honestly, mainly hours and hours of document reading and simultaneous multimedia playback, and the occasional The Sims 4 I've been raging on lately 

For weight, I'd like to keep it under 1,5 KG/ 3lbs

I have no battery preference because its fairly easy to find wall plug in my campus, but I'd be nice to have decent hours for those wire free freedom.

For compactness, I'd like to keep it under 14 Inch. I think 12-13 is the sweet spot for me.

12 minutes ago, Ansuex said:

Personally I would upgrade the phone if that laptop is still working.

I do understand how useful a new good functioning laptop would be for your college life though.. its a difficult pick ?

If you think economical, the laptop makes more sense, very useful even after 2 years, the Samsung Galaxy S10 will probably have another brother in 2 years for around the same price :)

Exactly what I'm thinking! It's really hard to decide. 

I guess my habit of neglecting smartphone upgrade finally bites me in the ass. It sure be nice to have new phone after a long 4 years, but kinda worried with the constant abuse my laptop could take.

21 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

As background, I'm a college student. 

Stay away from HP(personal opinion for the brand). Go with a Dell just for the warranty(incomparable), i think they have inspiron models with Ryzen cpus and vega graphics. If you can find a vostro(xps would be optimal but pricey) model better go with that(better build quality and cooling). In any case don't forget to buy sth with a SSD. Lenovo would be my second choice. Newest thinkpads are solid options.

9 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

I'm in SEA

Which country? Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Which country? Any links of online stores?

Indonesia to be precise, sure. 

https://www.lazada.co.id

For their legitimacy and have a nice selection

https://m.jd.id

Their legitimacy is one of the best, but kinda shitty in selection

www.tokopedia.com 

Is kinda sketchy, but been pretty good as long as my using period

12 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

Stay away from HP(personal opinion for the brand). Go with a Dell just for the warranty(incomparable), i think they have inspiron models with Ryzen cpus and vega graphics. If you can find a vostro(xps would be optimal but pricey) model better go with that(better build quality and cooling). In any case don't forget to buy sth with a SSD. Lenovo would be my second choice. Newest thinkpads are solid options.

Well, btw, people complain about that the Lenovo Yoga with Ryzen 5/7 throttles and stuff so maybe not get that.... (While I haven't found the same complaints about HP envy x360 with Ryzen 5/7, at least not as bad)

Btw, there is no brand were there exist no one that tells you to stay away from it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

7 hours ago, Mihle said:

Well, btw, people complain about that the Lenovo Yoga with Ryzen 5/7 throttles and stuff so maybe not get that.... (While I haven't found the same complaints about HP envy x360 with Ryzen 5/7, at least not as bad)

Btw, there is no brand were there exist no one that tells you to stay away from it.

That't totally true. I am just a little bit biased against HP because of the so many RMAs(mostly for the mainstream series, not omens or elitebooks) and i am also biased against Dell. Their inspiron are shit quality for me(that's the only series i don't like there) and their laptops are generally more expensive than same specs laptops from other brands BUT and this is a big but their next business day warranty is just outstanding.

19 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

That't totally true. I am just a little bit biased against HP because of the so many RMAs(mostly for the mainstream series, not omens or elitebooks) and i am also biased against Dell. Their inspiron are shit quality for me(that's the only series i don't like there) and their laptops are generally more expensive than same specs laptops from other brands BUT and this is a big but their next business day warranty is just outstanding.

Just a note, I personally don't have experience or an opinion about either Dell, HP or Lenovo.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Just a note, I personally don't have experience or an opinion about either Dell, HP or Lenovo.

What i forgot to mention from your previous comment is that Lenovo Yoga series indeed proved to be bad at temps mostly and turned to be bad generally and that's why even here where prices are inflated, Yogas get discounts from time to time. Best Lenovo ever did and made a name for themselves was the Thinkpads. Made originally by IBM, quality at its best. I really don't know about the newer thinkpad and if it meets the standards of the old days but i only read good reviews. 

*Lenovo Yoga 720 13

*Asus Zenbook UX331UAL

*Acer Spin 5 SP513-52N

*Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air (import)

Lenovo Thinkpad L380 with FHD IPS

Acer Swift 3 SF314-54G

Not so great battery life:

*Dell Inspiron 7373

Lenovo Ideapad 320s 13

*high sRGB IPS+non-upgradable RAM

Desktop specs:

Spoiler