Is there a way to determine if a OS partition is MBR or GPT?

BobBuilder

I have a bunch of image files of MBR and GPT Windows 7 OS partitions, is there a way to determine if the OS is MBR or GPT by looking at the files? Like I know there is a way to determine Windows version by looking at ntoskrnl version number.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. also if anyone knows a way to convert MBR to GPT and vice-versa, it would help a bunch

Look at windows disk management.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Look at windows disk management.

I have image files, not drives, so no, that would not work

If you're in windows, open Disk Management and it will tell you. Right click the disk (not the volume), go to properties, then the Volume tab. It will tell you the disk partition type.

image.png.1bc03a35cfb878853130e8a670b566c2.png
image.png.359e2838f37f3edd696a4ea31b8e6e01.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

If you're in windows, open Disk Management and it will tell you. Right click the disk (not the volume), go to properties, then the Volume tab. It will tell you the disk partition type.

image.png.1bc03a35cfb878853130e8a670b566c2.png
image.png.359e2838f37f3edd696a4ea31b8e6e01.png

Thanks but I have image files of the drives, not actual drives.

1 minute ago, Aloau said:

I have image files, not drives, so no, that would not work

You asked how to see if a drive was GPT or MBR.

Don't pretend like I didn't see you edit the title and post.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Aloau said:

Thanks but I have image files of the drives, not actual drives.

I'm fairly certain the partition type doesn't leave residue on the files themselves.

Edit:

Maybe if you had a disk dump you might see something? In the raw file itself there will be no difference.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You asked how to see if a drive was GPT or MBR.

Don't pretend like I didn't see you edit the title and post.

I did edit the title, but the post was NOT edited, I saw how you guys could just read the title and mistake the question, so I edited the title. the original POST was not edited though.

Also, I appreciate your help, but I'm not PRETENDING to hide the fact I edited the title, if you had read through my post, you would have saw what I actually meant. Thanks for trying to help though.

2 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

Don't you make the system image MBR or GPT when you are creating a boot drive?

Hmm, is that possible with images in the .GHO format?

Wait do you just have pictures of the drives themselves?

No. There is absolutely no way to tell if it is partitioned as GPT or MBR just from that alone unless the disk is larger than 2TB. If it is it will be GPT, since MBR only (usually) supports 2.2TB

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

Wait do you just have pictures of the drives themselves?

No. There is absolutely no way to tell if it is partitioned as GPT or MBR just from that alone unless the disk is larger than 2TB. If it is it will be GPT, since MBR only (usually) supports 2.2TB

No I have disk images, not like actual jpeg images, like I have a copy of the contents of the OS partition of the drive that I could clone to another drive and it boots.

The problem is that when I restore a MBR image to a GPT formatted drive or vice-versa, it doesn't boot

9 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

I'm fairly certain the partition type doesn't leave residue on the files themselves.

Edit:

Maybe if you had a disk dump you might see something? In the raw file itself there will be no difference.

Sorry what is a disk dump? is a ghost image file counted as a disk dump?

4 minutes ago, Aloau said:

Sorry what is a disk dump? is a ghost image file counted as a disk dump?

Oh that kind of disk image. I've got no idea. You could check if someone knows the answer over on Symantec's forums, since the files would have been created with Symantec's Ghost software.

https://www.symantec.com/connect/product/ghost-solution-suite?child_product_context=3378001

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop: