Razer Blackwidow 2013 ultimate review

Andrew0472

Hey guys i decided that i would try my first review on the forums so i have decided to review the blackwidow which i feel is quite either loved or completely hated. To start off i understand that people think that there are better options out there but for the price i got it for and lack of availability, i chose this keyboard over others. Sorry for the low quality photo, i used my note 3 and sent it to my facebook so i could link it (yes im stupid hahaha).1486141_607654632634005_896415382_o.jpg?

I wont go into the features of the keyboard as im sure that everyone knows so i will jump right into it. I was using a steelseries 6g with cherry mx blacks but i found them to be pretty crappy for typing due to the actuation force and lack of tactile noise where i would bottom out the keys every time. This is what led me to choosing a keyboard with cherry mx blues as they are known to handle typing well. The razer blackwidow's cherry mx blues feel very light compared to the cherry mx blacks which to some heavy users could be distasteful but for me it works great. After looking on the internet at reviews, the general opinion was that the keyboard is very loud and i have to disagree. Yes the blue switches make a distinct tactile noise but i don't think it is much louder than the bottom out sound of the cherry blacks. If you were using this keyboard in a populated open space than people might get frustrated but if you are just in your room or study, its nothing to worry about. 

The BWU 2013 packaging claims there are 5 different levels of brightness which is true in the razer software however there are really about 15 different increments between these levels of dim etc (i hope that makes sense to you guys). This keyboard can get absurdly bright. I do prefer the keys on the BWU as they are laser engraved and are clear so they will not wear off especially with the backlighting compared to my 6g which the wasd wore down in about 3 weeks. The keyboard is finished in a rubber like plastic which does not pickup fingerprints and overall looks quite neat however im yet to see how dirty it can become. I do enjoy the little stands on the back of the keyboard which lift the keyboard up to a nice height for typing. One major consensus with this product is the lacking quality of the keyboard however i feel as though this is more razer hate than user opinion. The keyboard weighs quite alot, nothing excessive but just enough for peace of mind. The only aspect of the keyboard which could come across as a lack of quality is the keys at first but that is because of the mx blues being a very light and tactile switch. I'm genuinely unsure of how people claim this product is not well made besides an occurrence of something going wrong with a key or something which could happen to any keyboard over time. 

There are a few things about this keyboard which i think could be better. The green backlighting is nice and i like it however for a keyboard what is usually quite expensive, it would have been nice to see more customization with the colours of the lights and or a feature where you can choose certain parts of the keyboard to light up and not others. The other thing which bothers me a little is the huge braided cable, and i don't mean long, the cable is so thick i just don't understand however this is just my opinion and maybe some people will like that. 

Overall i really like this keyboard and i think it cops quite alot of unnecessary and undeserved negativity. There are some great options around for a similar price, such as the corsair k70 however i do think that this keyboard has its place in the market. I think that there is still some improvement to be made but that is like anything. I am not going to give any sort of rating as keyboards and their switch type is a subjective and will vary depending on preference but i think that if you are looking into this keyboard just be careful of some of the hate regarding it as it is not all true :)

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I had one for a week. Returned it and got a k70 with mx blues. The k70 is MUCH better in build quality and feels like it uses better quality switches.

I had one for a week. Returned it and got a k70 with mx blues. The k70 is MUCH better in build quality and feels like it uses better quality switches.

i ended up getting this for a bout 70-80 dollars cheaper than the k70 so im happy with it. And the k70 will obviously seem better in quality than the bw because it has the aluminium or stainless steel, im not sure which material it uses

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I've been using the BlackWidow Ultimate for quite some time and I can say I have been pleased from the start. I honestly think alot of people hate on it because its Razer and they are just following some kind of bandwagon I have yet to find. :P If I had a problem id say that it is the way the keys are enclosed within the keyboard allowing for dust and what not to build up over time and having a not so easy way to access it without taking out all of your keys. :P Other than that its a great keyboard. Thanks for the review!

I have used both and really haven't noticed a difference between the two "build quality wise". In my opinion Razer does a fantastic job making strong products. I do really like the k70 I just wouldn't go as far as saying it is "MUCH" better.

i ended up getting this for a bout 70-80 dollars cheaper than the k70 so im happy with it. And the k70 will obviously seem better in quality than the bw because it has the aluminium or stainless steel, im not sure which material it uses

That is a good price. For me the k70 was $30 cheaper so better and cheaper. It uses a aluminium body. I still fell the k70 uses better quality mx switches.

That is a good price. For me the k70 was $30 cheaper so better and cheaper. It uses a aluminium body. I still fell the k70 uses better quality mx switches.

Better quality mx switches? They both use cherry don't they? I'm not sure if there is much of a quality difference between key switches made by the same manufacturer. :P

Better quality mx switches? They both use cherry don't they? I'm not sure if there is much of a quality difference between key switches made by the same manufacturer. :P

Same switch but they seem better quality. Better binned switches seem to go to corsair than razer.

If the k70 was cheaper and available where i bought it from i would have considered it but yah

If the k70 was cheaper and available where i bought it from i would have considered it but yah

Yeah. The balckwidow was $150 and the k70 was $120.

Yeah. The balckwidow was $150 and the k70 was $120.

O_O the k70 for me was 175 plus 15 shipping whereas i used vouchers for the blackwidow and got it for 110

O_O the k70 for me was 175 plus 15 shipping whereas i used vouchers for the blackwidow and got it for 110

It was on sale at newegg.

I bought the regular blackwidow 2013. (the ultimate without backlight) and it feels great!  I can't say its the best or the worst since its my first mechanical keyboard and I haven't tried any others.  But it feels good for what I want.  Besides, Corsair keyboards only sell red switches here and I wanted a blue switch, I might try a red but blues feel absolutely amazing. 

I bought the regular blackwidow 2013. (the ultimate without backlight) and it feels great!  I can't say its the best or the worst since its my first mechanical keyboard and I haven't tried any others.  But it feels good for what I want.  Besides, Corsair keyboards only sell red switches here and I wanted a blue switch, I might try a red but blues feel absolutely amazing. 

yeh the backlighting really isn't needed but because i was already saving a bit i thought i may as well just get the back lighting one

yeh the backlighting really isn't needed but because i was already saving a bit i thought i may as well just get the back lighting one

I was on a really tight budget and the blackwidow was one of the cheapest keyboards I could find, probably because of allot of the others were imported from America and Australia and stuff.  I bought the blackwidow 2013 for $50 less than the Cooler Master Quickfire TK 

I was on a really tight budget and the blackwidow was one of the cheapest keyboards I could find, probably because of allot of the others were imported from America and Australia and stuff.  I bought the blackwidow 2013 for $50 less than the Cooler Master Quickfire TK 

Thats heaps good! I honestly don't understand where all the hate comes from. Im not a fanboy in the slightest but this keyboard is perfectly fine. At the end of the day its a keyboard what sits in one spot of my desk

Thats heaps good! I honestly don't understand where all the hate comes from. Im not a fanboy in the slightest but this keyboard is perfectly fine. At the end of the day its a keyboard what sits in one spot of my desk

The hate comes from people who have never used a membrane keyboard for years, I was using a membrane keyboard for 7 years, until last month.  So I think that if the haters had their keyboard swapped out for a $10 membrane one... they would love Razer. 

The hate comes from people who have never used a membrane keyboard for years, I was using a membrane keyboard for 7 years, until last month.  So I think that if the haters had their keyboard swapped out for a $10 membrane one... they would love Razer. 

i had an old squeaky microsoft keyboard for about 6 years until a few months ago and yeh the difference was incredible 

I've got one question...how much should I keep waiting for retailers to bring a k70 here?

It's been half a year already...maybe the fuss with the Cherry RGB will bring something.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.