3 old server racks

HeadShotz

My parents own an office and I found there 3 old servers that not in use for over 14 years...

the first server is Dell PowerEdge 1850 with Xeon 2.80 GHz 1 core and 1GB ram ddr2

second is IBM xSeries 336 with dual Xeon 3.20 GHz 1 core and 2gb ram

the third I don't know the specs yet but should be the same (i have to crack the pw because they don't remember it :/ ) 

Any use for them? if I put them for sale someone will buy them? or maybe for parts

I will not use them for NAS because they have 7 old desktops with i3 2100 and I prefer to use one of them lol (they quieter lol)

They are very old, you may have some luck selling them, or you can play around with them yourself, but you'll most likely just scrap them in the end.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Server gear is practically worthless after max 10 years. You can buy dual 6-core Xeon servers for $100 nowadays. Those single core Xeons are literally worth $0.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, myselfolli said:

They are very old, you may have some luck selling them, or you can play around with them yourself, but you'll most likely just scrap them in the end.

lol they wasn't in use from 2005-2006 lol

so you think none will buy them?

also if i will sell them together or maybe for parts?

1 minute ago, HeadShotz said:

I honestly think the only value may lie in the cases, the rest is probably too outdated

So is the rest probably

2 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

I honestly think the only value may lie in the cases, the rest is probably too outdated

and can I build a NAS from an old i3 2100 system? 

Just now, HeadShotz said:

and can I build a NAS from an old i3 2100 system? 

For a small in-house NAS without any other functions (think PLEX etc.) it will probably work. But I'd consider getting a cheap system off of craigslist/ebay for ~100$ (you don't need a GPU, which can save you a lot of money) and going with that

So is the rest probably

Another possibility to check for some CPU from that time, which will fit in that socket, but maybe runs faster, if you need a faster NAS. Of course, parts are possibly not new and used, but cheap alternative instead of a complete upgrade. :3

35 minutes ago, HeadShotz said:

I've been given several servers newer than those.

Yeah, part them out, you'll get more cash that way (and that's still not much, but better than none)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Not old enough for collectors to want them (pre 2000 stuff) and not new enough to be worth anything. Could just keep them another 10 years, might be worth more then.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Just now, Madgemade said:

Not old enough for collectors to want them (pre 2000 stuff) and not new enough to be worth anything. Could just keep them another 10 years, might be worth more then.

the problem is I don't have where to put them cuz my parents want to move office and wanted to throw them away

also with all the old desktops ^^

7 hours ago, HeadShotz said:

Dell PowerEdge 1850 with Xeon 2.80 GHz 1 core and 1GB ram ddr2

second is IBM xSeries 336 with dual Xeon 3.20 GHz 1 core and 2gb ram

You're really better off just E-wasting those. They're nothing but power hogs/space heaters at this point. If you really want to get into playing around with servers, any Dell R(X)10 (R210 II, R310, R410, R510, R610, R710) or HP ProLiant G6/7(?) are fairly cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 12:57 AM, Neilas said:

You're really better off just E-wasting those. They're nothing but power hogs/space heaters at this point. If you really want to get into playing around with servers, any Dell R(X)10 (R210 II, R310, R410, R510, R610, R710) or HP ProLiant G6/7(?) are fairly cheap.

I don't need new server lol my parents have Dell PowerEdge T110 II with Xeon E3-1220 and it more than enough for them only the downside with it is the drives are very slow and replace them it kinda hard and costly to program all the server again

and the 3 old servers I listed my dad want to throw them to trash so I thought maybe if I can to sell them it will be better to do if someone will buy them

they just move from their office to new one so they want to resolve all that they don't need the servers and more 7 old computers