How much liquid metal is used for a delid?

Hello!

How many delids can I do with 1g of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut? 

1151/1150 socket 

No idea. Depends on how you do it.

At least 5 from how much I’ve used it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

A very small amount, generally the size of a pin head, per de-lid.

i7-7700k | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB 3100MHz | Prime Z270-AR

Sure, any heat resistant silicone works. I have a tube of that but tend to use my red, blue or grey silicone as they are already open. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Good. Thanks! 

Any Tips & Tricks for the first delid? 

Plenty of videos that would explain it better then I could. Same ones I used. Gamer nexus and singularity computers are who I prefer for info. 

You should be able to do alot.

LM application only uses a tiny amount, as others mention, approximatly a pin heads worth.

As for the relid. Ether dont bother using anythign, just place it on and use the retention bracket to hold it on, or use a very small amount of pritty much any silicon sealant, just enough to hold it in place. a dot in each corner for example. You dont want to reseal it like it came out of the factury as ur likely goign to have to reapply some LM to the die in the future anyway.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 2/10/2019 at 9:29 AM, Mr.David said:

Good. Thanks! 

Any Tips & Tricks for the first delid? 

Don't reseal it, it's pointless as the retaining bracket holds it in place. My motherboard came with a little plastic frame to place the cpu in the socket so i used the to line up the IHS. You will want to put LM on the IHS and the CPU die, I've had instances where I would only do the CPU and it'd have bad temps so now I just do both. 

1 hour ago, Benjeh said:

Don't reseal it, it's pointless as the retaining bracket holds it in place. My motherboard came with a little plastic frame to place the cpu in the socket so i used the to line up the IHS. You will want to put LM on the IHS and the CPU die, I've had instances where I would only do the CPU and it'd have bad temps so now I just do both. 

Putting LM on top of the IHS depends heavily on what cooler you have. If it's made of Aluminium you'll eat away your cooler and, if it contains liquid, leak it all over your stuff. If it's copper you'll also get a bad reaction, though not to the same extent. Nickel-plated copper is really the only thing that's safe to use with LM

5 minutes ago, Mehmy said:

Putting LM on top of the IHS depends heavily on what cooler you have. If it's made of Aluminium you'll eat away your cooler and, if it contains liquid, leak it all over your stuff. If it's copper you'll also get a bad reaction, though not to the same extent. Nickel-plated copper is really the only thing that's safe to use with LM

Had LM on my copper waterblock for months now, no ill affect, the IHS on cpu's in copper plated with something else cant remember the exact material. I've had lm on copper for quite some time before, it will absorb into the metal but other than that unless you can show me some form of corrosion i've not had any negative effects.

18 hours ago, Benjeh said:

Had LM on my copper waterblock for months now, no ill affect, the IHS on cpu's in copper plated with something else cant remember the exact material. I've had lm on copper for quite some time before, it will absorb into the metal but other than that unless you can show me some form of corrosion i've not had any negative effects.

The alloy LM+copper forms is worse at heat transfer than straight copper/nickel plated copper. Also it just looks bad.

IHS's are nickel plated copper