First build hookup. nothing happening

hahadead7777
Go to solution Solved by Slottr,

You have to short the front panel power pins on the motherboard to turn it on, the power supply just provides the machine power, but doesnt actually turn it on via the button

I just got my pc parts in the mail excluding my case that's a few days away but I wanted to hook everything up to a monitor to at least see it boot. I currently have my graphics card, cpu, cpu fan, 1 memory stick, 1 sata hard drive, and the power box connected but turning on the power box does nothing. Am I not supposed to get fan spin in this situation without jump starting the motherboard? As in without a case. I have replugged all power sources

cpu fan is in cpu fan 1

graphics card is in pcie 2 since it's the first one that size. It's also connected to the power box

cpu is in it's grooves and latched in

memory stick is in first slot. it fought me but it's latched in

Sata drive is plugged into the power box and mother board 

The power box is connected to the mother board in 2 places

Big power box connector to mother board

Spoiler

51615257_2362114310479495_86116509001313

Power box to graphics card

Spoiler

51712157_2362114357146157_65108467605905

small power box connector to mother board

Spoiler

51383487_2362114217146171_44550358136793

Sate connector to mother board

Spoiler

51438038_2362114260479500_73002554316984

my parts are 

Mother board: ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Graphics card: PowerColor RED DRAGON Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DHDV2/OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support ATX Video Card

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W YD2600BBAFBOX Desktop Processor

RAM: G.SKILL Aegis 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3000C16S-8GISB

Power Supply: CORSAIR CX Series CX450 450W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

You have to short the front panel power pins on the motherboard to turn it on, the power supply just provides the machine power, but doesnt actually turn it on via the button

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I have tried using a jump start once from the bottom of this picture labled "CLRCMOs1" and it is the only thing that looks like a jump startable area

Spoiler

51933343_2362139663810293_42074732459028

Those arent the right pins. The ones you'll want are probably on the bottom right labeled under F_PANEL or something similar.

Then reference the manual to see which pins to short, or just use trial and error

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

10 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Those arent the right pins. The ones you'll want are probably on the bottom right labeled under F_PANEL or something similar.

Then reference the manual to see which pins to short, or just use trial and error

Wow thank you. turns out I was poking the right part at one point but only half of it so now I have fan spin :) now I just gotta setup output and see how that goes. again thanks

???you should do more research.

FIRST THAT tHiNg is called s power supply or psu not box.

also no that switch on the psu does not boot the pc it is just the main power switch. You need to short the two pins where the power button is connected to. Is should say “pwr_sw” or something on the motherboard.

also the cpu is in a socket not groove

17 minutes ago, hahadead7777 said:

I have tried using a jump start once from the bottom of this picture labled "CLRCMOs1" and it is the only thing that looks like a jump startable area

Reveal hidden contents

51933343_2362139663810293_42074732459028

Noooooo that clears the cmos data.

look for the bunch of pins where the buttons are connected to

10 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

Not everyone who's building a pc needs to know the lingo

I have plenty of friends of mine who have built pc's but don't know jack shit about anything techy- Never forced em to learn. If they can get from A to B fine, then let em be

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Not everyone who's building a pc needs to know the lingo

I have plenty of friends of mine who have built pc's but don't know jack shit about anything techy- Never forced em to learn. If they can get from A to B fine, then let em be

Sorry

but people who have never build a pc should at least know the reason the boot button is there and why don’t pcs boot immediately when plugged in. I thought everyone should at least have certain experiences on USING them

3 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

Sorry

but people who have never build a pc should at least know the reason the boot button is there and why don’t pcs boot immediately when plugged in. I thought everyone should at least have certain experiences on USING them

I thought you at least get fan spin from the power suppy itself. I'm still trying to learn the lingo but most of what I know is from what I've seen on the 3 computer channels I watch