Virtual Training Room

Hello experts. 

We would like to build up a training/test server where a virtual hosting software would be running. Most probably something KVM based like Proxmox or Openstack.

We are planing to run there up to 20-30 virtual machines at a time with various performance requirements ranging from single core up to 6-cores setups. 

So, we have a budget of 3000€ and this is my first rig (All links are from website https://www.alza.sk/EN/ as we probably will need to order from them due to contractual reasons):

MB: GIGABYTE X399 AORUS PRO

RAM: HyperX 128 GB KIT 3000 MHz DDR4

CPU: Procesor AMD RYZEN Threadripper 2950X

CPU Cooler: Enermax LiqTech TR4 II 360 RGB

Storage:

2xSSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro SSD 512 GB

1xHDD: Seagate Exos 7E8 4 TB

PSU: EVGA 750 GQ Power Supply

Case: Fractal Design Define S Window

What do you say?

Thanks

swap liquid cooler for a Noctua TR4 Aircooler (NH-U14, specifically). its more reliable, though slightly worse. its a better choice. 

will you be running Linux or windows? i would also see if 2970wx fits the budget with some changes.

swap SSDs for Crucial units (mx 500) or Samsung 2,5 inch units. you can also probably save some money by buying multiple 2 stick kits of memmory.

I will be running windows and linux guests. The server will be headless, but for the installation I will probably need external GPU, but that shouldnt be a problem, or? 
Regarding cooling, what does it mean that liquid cooler will be less realiable? could it leak? Will this Cooler be sufficient for the 2970WX if we get a budget for it? 

Regarding the storage, there will be probably high IO load on those drives, that is why we would like to avoid SATA disks for some specific VMs. Which Crucial disks do you recommend then? the MX 500 seems to be way slower according specs

8 minutes ago, K0S3K said:

Regarding cooling, what does it mean that liquid cooler will be less realiable? could it leak?

it could leak yes, it also has more points of failure. they are usually fine, but aircoolers are the way to go if you arent overclocking. 

Regarding the storage, there will be probably high IO load on those drives, that is why we would like to avoid SATA disks for some specific VMs. Which Crucial disks do you recommend then? the MX 500 seems to be way slower according specs

if that is the case, just use m.2 either Samsung or Adata drives. either will be good. (remember to read the motherboard Manual to identify which slots are directly connected to CPU)

Will this Cooler be sufficient for the 2970WX if we get a budget for it? 

that cooler is sufficient. its more or less the best Aircooler on the market. 

I will be running windows and linux guests. The server will be headless, but for the installation I will probably need external GPU, but that shouldnt be a problem, or? 

you will need to have a GPU running on PCIe. any low end unit will do as they are only operating as displayoutputs. Nvidia-cards might not like running in VMs, unshure if  AMD has the same issue. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Nvidia-cards might not like running in VMs, unshure if  AMD has the same issue. 

@LukeSavenije you wouldnt know anyone who would know what would be best for runnign VMs?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

I personally had no problems with either intel, amd and nvidia personally... I would think of @NelizMastr

well it would be either AMD or Nvidia. would be a bummer if he bought a consumer card and it conflicted with VMs. 

thanks btw.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

well it would be either AMD or Nvidia. would be a bummer if he bought a consumer card and it conflicted with VMs. 

thanks btw.

not sure how and if it would conflict. I only run one vm at a time

Thanks so far guys.

Also I am curious about "dust management" as this machine will be probably locked in server room, where we wont have access anytime we want. Is the case good enough? Arent there any better with better filtering and airflow?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

not sure how and if it would conflict. I only run one vm at a time

I believe Nvidia Drivers dont like running directly in VMs. Unshure if AMD has the same issue and how it affects stuff when not running directly in VMs

OP, id wait for @NelizMastr if he comes to answer before deciding on GPU. He probably has some insight

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I believe Nvidia Drivers dont like running directly in VMs. Unshure if AMD has the same issue and how it affects stuff when not running directly in VMs

hm... never had problems, but that might be me

you're welcome btw

Guys, The GPU wont be needed for VM-s as we will run only IT Management software which doesnt have any GUI other than WEB UI. The GPU will be needed only for installation. So my original question was, if it was OK to remove GPU after I install the Virtual ENV (Proxmox, OpenStack, or other). 

4 minutes ago, K0S3K said:

Thanks so far guys.

Also I am curious about "dust management" as this machine will be probably locked in server room, where we wont have access anytime we want. Is the case good enough? Arent there any better with better filtering and airflow?

define s would be fine, but any case with some big filters will do. be quiet has some nice ones too

Just now, K0S3K said:

Guys, The GPU wont be needed for VM-s as we will run only IT Management software which doesnt have any GUI other than WEB UI. The GPU will be needed only for installation. So my original question was, if it was OK to remove GPU after I install the Virtual ENV (Proxmox, OpenStack, or other). 

you still have to render graphics for it... a low power one should be enough

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

OP, id wait for @NelizMastr if he comes to answer before deciding on GPU. He probably has some insight

The only issue is with passthrough. You can't do that with Nvidia cards. It's fine otherwise to use like a GT210/710 as a basic display adapter. Not all boards like POSTing without any graphics card installed.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

21 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The only issue is with passthrough. You can't do that with Nvidia cards. It's fine otherwise to use like a GT210/710 as a basic display adapter. Not all boards like POSTing without any graphics card installed.

Hello NelizMastr, that is exactly what i needed to know, but could spell out directly :) So I will give it some 710 so it can boot properly. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have additional question regarding NVMe 

Does the mentioned motherboard support NVMe SSD boot out of the box? I don't have any experience with these drives as boot devices yet. How should I proceed if there are any steps required. The OS will be Debian based.