Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

Is there any reason why anyone would do this using common sense on a 64bit os?

Hi guys,

Just sticked an Asus P106 in my Intel 4th gen PC but I'm running Win 7 x64, would the modified files work or do I have to make my own? Anyone else running W7 x64  and willing to help? Thanks a lot.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:14 PM, Itsme_dankydank said:

Hi, so basically I'm in China and I bought P106 and I have amd Ryzen 2200g with B350et2 MB. Without inserting graphic card I get an output, but whenever I install graphic card there is no display. Do I have to change something in bios or any other thing before inserting graphic card? The seller is guiding in Chinese so I can't understand, thanks in advance.

You might need to make sure the iGPU is force-enabled. On your Biostar board, you'd go into the BIOS, go to Chipset, then North Bridge. You'll see an option called GFX Configuration - In here, you can set the Primary Video Device to IGD Video and make sure Integrated Graphics is enabled (you may also want to enable Surround View - The description isn't terribly helpful).

2 hours ago, Adr1an_ said:

Hi guys,

Just sticked an Asus P106 in my Intel 4th gen PC but I'm running Win 7 x64, would the modified files work or do I have to make my own? Anyone else running W7 x64  and willing to help? Thanks a lot.

The modified files should work, but it might be best to make your own in that case, since the driver package does differ between Win7 and Win10 and while they should be cross-compatible, they may not be.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

1 minute ago, GabenJr said:

You might need to make sure the iGPU is force-enabled. On your Biostar board, you'd go into the BIOS, go to Chipset, then North Bridge. You'll see an option called GFX Configuration - In here, you can set the Primary Video Device to IGD Video and make sure Integrated Graphics is enabled (you may also want to enable Surround View - The description isn't terribly helpful).

The modified files should work, but it might be best to make your own in that case, since the driver package does differ between Win7 and Win10 and while they should be cross-compatible, they may not be.

Would I be able to get multiple displays if I use a splitter on the on board output?

1 hour ago, GabenJr said:

They don't work. However what does work flawlessly is the 417.22 win 7 driver with the registry edit. The problem with Win7 however is to enable the performance card in the absence of Nvidia control panel. The workaround described here  by nkp123 on the previous page doesn't work for me, as soon as I select the virtual monitor as Default I only get monitor standby. I will install Win 10 on a SSD and report back.

The kwy for using Win 7 would be to trick nVidia control panel to somehow consider that there's a monitor attached to the card.

OK, I've tried both approaches in Win 10 (the one in first post and the registry edit). It appears to work but I cannot make 3D mark run on the P106. The interface WILL run on the high performance card but as soon as the demo starts it will revert on the Intel graphics.  Is there any way to select the P106 as both power saving and high performance option?

On 3/28/2019 at 4:46 AM, Arnold4666 said:

Is there any reason why anyone would do this using common sense on a 64bit os?

Um, yes? There tons of reasons... gaming on a budget being one of them?

11 hours ago, Adr1an_ said:

OK, I've tried both approaches in Win 10 (the one in first post and the registry edit). It appears to work but I cannot make 3D mark run on the P106. The interface WILL run on the high performance card but as soon as the demo starts it will revert on the Intel graphics.  Is there any way to select the P106 as both power saving and high performance option?

I'll download the 3Dmark demo now, I'll see if I can get it to work. I've never used 3Dmark before, but all the other benchmarks I've used have worked with the P106 just fine.

image.png.a0499d0f64aed4e5493818a895fcd88e.pngHere is my 3DMark Time Spy results. Keep in mind that these results reflect the bottleneck that occurs because of Ryzen's use of only 8x PCIE lanes. Despite that, it's definitely making use of the P106, even though 3DMark technically has no clue what a P106 is (as it says in the validation warning, "Graphics card not recognized").

Edit: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/34992041? here is online version of my result.

Edit 2: My drivers were modified as per the LTT video, and I didn't have to change anything in order to make this benchmark run.

In Win 10 I believe my problem lies with the motherboard (was testing on a HP 4th gen system using a riser (just 1x).

In Win 7 everything that can go borderless  works perfectly. Fullscreen apps like 3D Mark  would only display a black screen but the test is actually working and produces a result.

sky diver.jpg

superposition.jpg

Anyone knows how to make the GPU the "default GPU"  or how to trick Nvidia control panel to open? 

I can play games on it but I have to enable Vsync or else games will run on what seems half the refresh rate of the current fps.  Other games like Sekiro run fine but in the menu, if I move my mouse the fps drops a lot and as soon as I stop moving the cursor it goes back to 60.

I have an MSI b85-g43 gaming, and I5 46670K. (Windows 10 pro)

Someone commented on linus' second video that you don't actually need an 4th gen+ cpu he has been using this  for years as he has a GTX 1060 with a broken display output. He used a GT 720 as the display output.
So, I have tried to use a gtx 760 as the display output (installed 417.22 and did the registry tweak) and I went to graphics setting in win 10 but  GTX 760 was displayed as the power saving and high-performance card. I opened the Nvidia control panel and selected p106 as the cuda card but games still use the GTX as the cuda card nonetheless. 

nvcplui_NxLNFXvFuh.jpg

I have an Ivy, tried what npk123 suggested, but i dont even get to see another grey monitor popping up. Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help!

In Win 7 you click right on the desktop then select "screen resolution". On the window that opens click the "detect" button. 

Read well the part about installing an app that allows you to hotkey moving from the real display to the virtual display.

2 hours ago, Adr1an_ said:

In Win 7 you click right on the desktop then select "screen resolution". On the window that opens click the "detect" button. 

Read well the part about installing an app that allows you to hotkey moving from the real display to the virtual display.

Windows does that by default doesnt it? Win+Shift+Left moves the active window to the left screen. I fixed my problem, even though i still dont have a clue how. I think windows didnt recognize my p106 as graphics card, after going for a clean install it works. It wouldnt give me any new screen outputs even after pressing detect before, which it now does. 

However, i can only set my virtual monitor to 1680x1050. Ideas?

5 hours ago, Adr1an_ said:

can this be done in Windows 10 too? 

2 hours ago, Mirror Reaper said:

can this be done in Windows 10 too? 

I wasn't able to, they made an update which removes the option unless you have double monitor already. When you do try it it gives BSOD

14 minutes ago, diogofcr said:

I wasn't able to, they made an update which removes the option unless you have double monitor already. When you do try it it gives BSOD

Not even through third-party? 

6 hours ago, janmaier27 said:

Windows does that by default doesnt it? Win+Shift+Left moves the active window to the left screen. I fixed my problem, even though i still dont have a clue how. I think windows didnt recognize my p106 as graphics card, after going for a clean install it works. It wouldnt give me any new screen outputs even after pressing detect before, which it now does. 

However, i can only set my virtual monitor to 1680x1050. Ideas?

Got it fixed now, works pretty good. Its kind of odd having no primary screen, but with "Fullscreenizer" and "Double Monitor" for the taskbar+forcing windowed games to borderless window its good.

Ill use this as my second gaming rig now with my OCed 3770k@4.5GHz, getting good performance almost in every game by now. Wish i had an Haswell+ though, but comparible performance to my 3770k is expensive and i dont want my 3770k capable of 5.0GHz sold either...

1 hour ago, Mirror Reaper said:

Not even through third-party? 

What do you mean by third-party?

20 hours ago, diogofcr said:

What do you mean by third-party?

A software

On 2/3/2019 at 7:59 PM, GabenJr said:

We didn’t recommend using the Chinese driver in our mining GPU video, but now, we’ll show you how to make Nvidia’s drivers work for yourself – And how to go deeper.

Buy a P106 (mining "GTX 1060") on Taobao: https://lmg.gg/8KV9W

Buy a real GTX 1060:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/rveAUH
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KV6B

Download link for GeForce driver 416.34: https://lmg.gg/8KV93

Download link for HxD: https://lmg.gg/8KV9m

Download link for DifferentSLIAuto: https://lmg.gg/8KV9P

Download link for 7-Zip: https://lmg.gg/8KV9p

TechPowerUp Forum Thread: https://lmg.gg/8KV91

How to mod the P106 driver

• Make sure Secure Boot is disabled and Windows is in testsigning mode
    • Check your motherboard manual for information on how to disable Secure Boot
    • Testsigning can be enabled by opening up a Command Prompt or PowerShell as administrator, then typing:
    • bcdedit /set {current} testsigning on
    • bcdedit /set {current} nointegritychecks on
    • This can be done for a single boot by going to Start -> Power -> Restart and holding shift while clicking Restart, then choosing Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Startup Settings - Once you get to the menu, choose to disable driver signature enforcement.
    • After restarting, you’ll know it worked if some text is displayed in the lower right corner of your desktop
  • Download and extract the GeForce driver using 7-Zip
  • In the extracted folder, go to the Display.Driver folder and open nv_dispi.infusing Notepad++
  • Search for lines containing 1B87 (P104-100), 1BC7, (P104-101) 1C07(P106-100), and 1C09 (P106-090)
    • Change each line's Section number to match the 1C06 (GTX 1060) line - On 416.34, that means from Section110 to Section108
    • On the third set of lines, the Section numbers will be different; Again change it to match the 1C06 (GTX 1060) line - On 416.34, that's Section109 to Section107
  • Save the file
  • Install the driver as normal – Windows will complain that it’s unsigned; Click allow.
  • Right-click the desktop, go to Display Settings, then Graphics Settings
    • From here, you can force any game to use the P106 to render while your integrated GPU is used for display output.

How to perform the SLI mod

• Make sure Secure Boot is disabled and Windows is in testsigning mode
    • Check your motherboard manual for information on how to disable Secure Boot
    • Testsigning can be enabled by opening up a Command Prompt or PowerShell as administrator, then typing:
    • bcdedit /set {current} testsigning on
    • bcdedit /set {current} nointegritychecks on
    • This can be done for a single boot by going to Start -> Power -> Restart and holding shift while clicking Restart
    • After restarting, you’ll know it worked if some text is displayed in the lower right corner of your desktop
  • Install both graphics cards you wish to attempt SLI with
    • The first three characters of the PCI device ID MUST match to enable SLI
    • To find out what the device ID is, right-click the start button and click Device Manager
    • In the Display adaptors list double-click the card you want to check.
    • Under the Details tab, click the drop-down and then click Hardware IDs.
    • It will look like this: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1F07&SUBSYS_86701043&REV_A1
    • VEN_10DE means Nvidia, while DEV_1F07 is the device ID – In this example, an RTX 2070. So in order to run SLI, the other card’s device ID will have to also start with DEV_1F0
  • Download and install the GeForce driver as usual
  • Download and extract the DifferentSLIAuto package
  • Go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and sort by date
  • Go into the newest folder beginning with nv_dispi.inf
  • Copy the nvlddmkm.sys file to the DifferentSLIAuto folder
  • Open the install.cmd file in the DifferentSLIAuto folder in Notepad++
  • Replace the three mentions of nv_dispi.inf in install.cmd with the folder name we got the nvlddmkm.sys file
  • Open the nvlddmkm.sys we copied in a hex editor (HxD)
  • In HxD, go to Search, then Find, then click the Hex Values tab
    • Search for 79050fba6b240e
    • Position the cursor at the start of these values
    • Replace with C7432400000000 (no need to delete first, just type over it)
    • Save the file
  • Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
    • Click Start, then Power, then hold shift while clicking Reboot
    • In the menu that comes up, click Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Startup Settings (on some PCs, this may be behind a “show more options” arrow) - Once the PC reboots, press 5 on the screen that appears.
  • Run install.cmd in the DifferentSLIAuto folder as administrator
  • Reboot into normal mode
  • Enable SLI (hopefully)

Hi i have done everything but it still doesn't come up in graphics settings i am using a i5 2500K please help

5 minutes ago, ZanderKnight said:

Hi i have done everything but it still doesn't come up in graphics settings i am using a i5 2500K please help

Will only work on Win7 with a workaround you can find on page 8 or 9

14 hours ago, Mirror Reaper said:

A software

I know. But I don't think there is any software to create a display on windows in this way. I installed windows 7 on a different drive and use it when I want to game

12 hours ago, ZanderKnight said:

Hello. Welcome to the unlucky group of the people that have old gen CPU's (3rd and below). The "hack" that Linus showed in the video only works with 4th gen above and no one figured out yet how to do it on older gen.

However, there is a way to do it on Windows 7

"To force vga output in Windows 7 you need to go to the "Screen resolution" menu, click on "Detect" button - another gray screen(s) should pop up in the menu. Click on one of them, and in the drop down menu select something like "Try to connect VGA display on P106-100"."

After that select "Extend Displays" and apply

Then if you set your "virtual monitor" as a Default (Dont do this unless you have a program to switch windows between monitors with keys!! I use Ultramon programs will start there and use the P106-100 GPU and you can use your hotkey to switch to your main monitor and it will be good

I got 7600 score on PassMark with this method. It is not perfect but until someone figures out how to enable the "High Power Option" for Ivy Bridge on Windows 10 it works.

You will have to run games in windowed or borderless window and then use a hotkey (in Ultramon) to switch to your main display.

After like waiting for more than two months I finally received the card. I've never seen a card this dirty, the paste was as dry as it gets and the card itself smelled like burnt trash.

Still trying to set it up on a R5 2400g build, driver installer doesn't want to work, incompatible windows version (on win10 latest build) and "no suitable device installed" meaning the installer doesn't detect the card itself?

Also, Initial payment was 88.51 USD (card and shipping within China) and 33.41 USD shipping internationally to EU. Ordered via Taobao FOCUS. Basically 120 USD and two months of waiting for a card that might work properly, all in all I'd say it would be better to spend that much and bit more for a new rx570/580.