Is StoreMI Worth It? Need Solution to Merge HDD+SSD..

ch3w2oy

I just bought a 2tb Seagate 7200rpm HDD. I also have a 500gb 970 EVO and a 512gb SSD..

Originally I got the 2tb for backups and hardly used data. But since I got it I've been filling up my SSD (NVMe is for windows and programs) with games, music, videos, etc.. 

I don't like having to use multiple drives for my storage and am wondering if StoreMI is worth it? Are there other options?

Will games be ok? What if a game I want to play isn't "cached" on the SSD? 

Should I just reprioritize where I save everything and just move things around myself? That's what I really don't want to worry about. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

kinda pointless tbh

if you want to "cache" a game into your SSD you just install it there.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

kinda pointless tbh

if you want to "cache" a game into your SSD you just install it there.

So I've heard. I just don't like going back forth trying to keep things organized. Maybe I'll get a larger SSD after it fills up. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

4 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

So I've heard. I just don't like going back forth trying to keep things organized. Maybe I'll get a larger SSD after it fills up. 

there's a way to merge drives using disk management but you wouldn't know which thing is into the SSD and which into the HDD so I wouldn't recommend it for this case though is OK for combining multiple hard drives

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

16 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

I got it I've been filling up my SSD (NVMe is for windows and programs) with games, music, videos, etc.. 

Move the files to the hdd, only keep programs on the ssd.  So move all music,videos and pictures away. If you use the windows built in folders, act like so:

Right click on the folder and go to properties, for example videos folder:

image.png.ea9901c6abe4c1fe5d66b42d84133ea0.png

Then go to location, and change the letter to the other drive letter:

image.png.73de4a30ea3eea18efa1e43d617a5843.png

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

6 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Move the files to the hdd, only keep programs on the ssd.  So move all music,videos and pictures away. If you use the windows built in folders, act like so:

Right click on the folder and go to properties, for example videos folder:

image.png.ea9901c6abe4c1fe5d66b42d84133ea0.png

Then go to location, and change the letter to the other drive letter:

image.png.73de4a30ea3eea18efa1e43d617a5843.png

That's actually how I have my SSD setup. My NVMe is OS and programs while my SSD is filles, documents, pics, videos, games, etc.. I was going to use HDD just for backing everything up regularly. 

I guess I'll just use the SSD for games and HDD for all documents and videos/pictures.

Thanks! 

17 hours ago, ChewToy! said:

That's actually how I have my SSD setup. My NVMe is OS and programs while my SSD is filles, documents, pics, videos, games, etc.. I was going to use HDD just for backing everything up regularly. 

I guess I'll just use the SSD for games and HDD for all documents and videos/pictures.

Thanks! 

Just be aware.. This setup of moving the Default Documents / Videos / Pictures / Music / Downloads folders from the C Drive is the exact scenario that had caused the last Windows Major Fall Update to Delete peoples files. It just up and deleted the folders that were not on the C drive and recreated empty folders on the C partition.

I have always left Windows defaults they way they were and created my own folders on my other drives and manually located my files to those folders. I would also add them to the Libraries for each group.