silent 60mm x 38mm fans?

potato_man

I want to replace my server's delta 60mm x 38mm fans (which make quite a lot of noise). Does anyone have any suggestions for a silent 60mm x 38mm fan? Thanks.

Smaller the fan, bigger the noise, sadly. Anyway, Noctua has 60mmx25mm fans. I don't think you will find anything "quiet" which would be at server fan spec of thickness. And using desktop fans will bring in possible issues that they don't have enough cfm.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Smaller the fan, bigger the noise, sadly.

That's due to correlation of smaller fans with higher rpm which in turn is the cause for more noise. Smaller fans alone should actually be quieter. 

@potato_man What fans are you currently using and where are they being used?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

you could undervolt your current fans to 8V so they'll run at lower RPM

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

im using a server that does not allow undervolting, and i do not want to mod the motherboard for i will probably screw something up

Here's a bunch of them 60x60  25mm and 38mm : https://www.digikey.com/short/ptvr33

Filter further to select only 38mm and 12v, then sort by dB level, or by maximum rpm ... some are more noisy than others like for example ball bearing fans will be noisier than some sleeve or hydro bearing fans etc etc

Most are with wires only, but you can cut a connector from a cheapo fan and solder the wires to it, or buy the proper connector (if the connector on your server fans is not standard)

Keep in mind that the server relies on particular amount of airflow to stay cool, and normally the server should adjust the fan speeds automatically ... if you replace with too weak fans, the server may overheat.