Fast AF Networking Not Need Just Because

Go to solution Solved by Bmoney,
On 2/4/2019 at 5:38 AM, Mikensan said:

ZFS is not designed for speed by any stretch of the imagination. They have workarounds to help with speed, but their focus is data integrity. I would reflash your HBA, throw in a BBU and some RAM, and use it for RAID if you want speed.

Well right off the bat your HBA is probably plugged into a x4 slot (or will be if you buy an infiniband) which means you're capped out around 8Gbt/s. So no configuration of disks (even with an SSD on the SATA 2 port on your motherboard) is going to break 10Gbit/s.

Your next solution as already mentioned would be RAM disks. You may want to do some performance tests, as I "feel" like you might not hit 40gbit/s with DDR2 / your CPU.

Final note is SMB - it is horrible. It will definitely put some strain on your CPU which is already choking. It's certainly a very supported protocol, but it is not easy on your CPU. 

*not trying to be a debbie downer, just hoping you don't buy these infiniband cards only to see 0 gain.

Thanks I thought the CPU and Board might be the problem. Strong for a 1080p plex server but not high speed file transfers or 4k video. End goal to switch to a 1st gen TR now that the prices are falling massively. (50% of retail). Which 32 cores at 4,0GHz will handle no problem. Mean time found some compatible ram on ebay for now going to go from 28g to 64g for $16 no real risk. 

Side note no kernel panics on 1g but only on 10 gig for now which does sound like a ram issue. 

Server 

Hp xw8600

2x x5430 Xeon

28GB ddr2 ECC ram

Dual port 10Gbe network card

LSI 16e 6gpbs SAS/Sata card (HBA)

Nvidia 710GT (Basically headless server)

Boot Drive WD 250GB SSD

Storage Drives 7x 4TB Drive WD/HGST in raidz2 (estimated transfer speed 380MB/s)

(Looking to add 13x more drives in a full rack mount case which will make estimated write of 1.0GB/s)

I want to explore Infiniband 40Gbps but know the limits are in my storage drives. I like getting second hand equipment so all new SSD array is not an option. Yes Yes I know why do you need to go that fast? Because it is fun. How do you break the HDD bottlenecks. 

You break the HDD bottleneck, By second hand SSD’s

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Buy some more DDR2 memory sticks

Set up a  RAM DISK, use that for testing.

Use unraid with a ssd for write caching maybe? ...

You'll probably get 32 gbps (up to 4GB/s0 throughput through that infiniband but your CPU - CHIPSET link is only 4GB/s or less, so you'll be limited by chipset and other things anyway.

Wow insightful. Was thinking more along the line of zfs caching on a few SSDs. 

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Buy some more DDR2 memory sticks

Set up a  RAM DISK, use that for testing.

Not looking for short testing phase looking for a permanent solution for my SAMBA server.

Your raidz2 is pretty slow. I'm getting 700/500 on my 6x4Tb WD Red drives. 

Honestly though, anything other than nvme on both ends and 40gbit is useless. Or at least 3 SSDs in Raid0, on both ends again. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 hour ago, Bmoney said:

Not looking for short testing phase looking for a permanent solution for my SAMBA server.

your system will automatically use ram as a disk cache, so adding more will speed it up

What filesystem are you using?

How are you using the data? 

For zfs, the ssd will only help with random io.

ZFS is not designed for speed by any stretch of the imagination. They have workarounds to help with speed, but their focus is data integrity. I would reflash your HBA, throw in a BBU and some RAM, and use it for RAID if you want speed.

Well right off the bat your HBA is probably plugged into a x4 slot (or will be if you buy an infiniband) which means you're capped out around 8Gbt/s. So no configuration of disks (even with an SSD on the SATA 2 port on your motherboard) is going to break 10Gbit/s.

Your next solution as already mentioned would be RAM disks. You may want to do some performance tests, as I "feel" like you might not hit 40gbit/s with DDR2 / your CPU.

Final note is SMB - it is horrible. It will definitely put some strain on your CPU which is already choking. It's certainly a very supported protocol, but it is not easy on your CPU. 

*not trying to be a debbie downer, just hoping you don't buy these infiniband cards only to see 0 gain.

On 2/4/2019 at 5:38 AM, Mikensan said:

Thanks I thought the CPU and Board might be the problem. Strong for a 1080p plex server but not high speed file transfers or 4k video. End goal to switch to a 1st gen TR now that the prices are falling massively. (50% of retail). Which 32 cores at 4,0GHz will handle no problem. Mean time found some compatible ram on ebay for now going to go from 28g to 64g for $16 no real risk. 

Side note no kernel panics on 1g but only on 10 gig for now which does sound like a ram issue.