What Makes Windows 10 "System Idle Process" take 90% of CPU Usage?

Hello LTT forum,

I was using my PC as normally, then for some reason I shut down an leave it. Then, I came back and turn it up.

After Windows is started up before I even run any programs or apps, the temps went to 54C where usually it's only 36-38C when I just started the PC (Idle).

I checked Task Manager, and found that "System Idle Process" is taking 80-100% of CPU usage. How can that happen? What is "System Idle Process" and what does it actually do?

I can't just simply end that task, so how I can get rid of that?

Thanks

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

It's probably just windows being windows. Restart your PC and check again, if it still happens I'd run malwarebytes and the likes...

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

12 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

never seen that before. as said before try a virus scan. 

447144131_SystemIdleProcess.png.2df002321d3e339f5d1034118a7bcf60.png

I did any scans I can even via command prompt, and multiple restarts only to see it run 54C with this System Idle Process at 99%

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

I don't know why your CPU is hot from wake up done after a long wild . Something is not going to sleep. Check drivers. Make sure everything, including Ethernet and chipset is fully updated. Keep in mind that Windows 10 supports connected standby feature, meaning that your system doesn't go full sleep in order to keep an internet connection up (think wireless), and keep getting notifications from programs that goes online. So when you wake up, you are instantly connected, and you have the latest notifications. This is similar but not exactly to smartphones when you tap the power button to "close it off". The device goes to sleep, but still gets notifications, and you wake it up, you don't need to wait for the phone to establish connection to WiFi or your provider. That said, I am don't think your CPU should be that warm, it doesn't go full power when it is in this state.

As for "System Idle Process" That is not a process (also notice that this item doesn't have a PID - Process ID). It is showing you how much the CPU is not being in used and is idle. Yes, it is the reverse than you what one expects. So you want it to be 99% at idle.

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't know why your CPU is hot from wake up done after a long wild

Everytime I restart the PC it run straight to 54C and it stays at that point. Even I run some programs and games to give the CPU real load and close them all, it went to 54C as the lowes temps with "System Idle Process" still occupying 90% of CPU usage, while usual idle temps was 38C even after a stress test. I thought that 54C is from 99% of that System Idle Process, no?

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't know why your CPU is hot from wake up done after a long wild . Something is not going to sleep. Check drivers. Make sure everything, including Ethernet and chipset is fully updated. Keep in mind that Windows 10 supports connected standby feature, meaning that your system doesn't go full sleep in order to keep an internet connection up (think wireless), and keep getting notifications from programs that goes online. So when you wake up, you are instantly connected, and you have the latest notifications. This is similar but not exactly to smartphones when you tap the power button to "close it off". The device goes to sleep, but still gets notifications, and you wake it up, you don't need to wait for the phone to establish connection to WiFi or your provider. That said, I am don't think your CPU should be that warm, it doesn't go full power when it is in this state.

As for "System Idle Process" That is not a process (also notice that this item doesn't have a PID - Process ID). It is showing you how much the CPU is not being in used and is idle. Yes, it is the reverse than you what one expects. So you want it to be 99% at idle.

Ayy I‘ve found somebody that knows way more than me about tech :D

For the OP: maybe try to change the thermalpaste and check your cooler if you find something odd there

9 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

For the OP: maybe try to change the thermalpaste and check your cooler if you find something odd there

I want to see 1st if I manage to kill this System Idle Process the temps is still there or decrease accordingly. If not, I'll check the cooler, but I applied the thermal paste by spread method nice and even..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

Just now, _Hustler_One_ said:

I want to see 1st if I manage to kill this System Idle Process the temps is still there or decrease accordingly. If not, I'll check the cooler, but I applied the thermal paste by spread method nice and even..

How long ago did you use the paste?

As @GoodBytes alteady stated, the process shows how much of your cpu is NOT used.

13 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

How long ago did you use the paste?

As @GoodBytes alteady stated, the process shows how much of your cpu is NOT used.

Last time I removing the cooler was in October last year.

22 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

Check drivers. Make sure everything, including Ethernet and chipset is fully updated.

I have Windows Update and MSI Live Update that always keep on track for any driver updates automatically. Scanned for updates it says the system is up to date. Tried to shut down the PC and unplug the power, turn it back on, still same, the System Idle Process is at 80-99% and temps straight to 54C and stays there while I do nothing with my PC.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

53 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Everytime I restart the PC it run straight to 54C and it stays at that point. Even I run some programs and games to give the CPU real load and close them all, it went to 54C as the lowes temps with "System Idle Process" still occupying 90% of CPU usage, while usual idle temps was 38C even after a stress test. I thought that 54C is from 99% of that System Idle Process, no?

System Idle Process, is not a process. And you want it to be at 99% when your PC idle.

The higher it is, the more idle your CPU is.

If Process A consumes 30% of your CPU, "System Idle Process" would be 70%

If Process A consumes 10% of your CPU, "System Idle Process" would be 90%

To me it looks like everything is fine with this additional information.

Maybe new thermal paste?

1 hour ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

What is "System Idle Process" and what does it actually do?

Okay i feel bad for you and everyone answer. Your CPU never stop doing clock cycles. Let's say the lowest it run at 1 ghz (1 billion cycles per seconds) If all your processes running takes 500,000,000 cycles to execute per seconds you CPU is doing nothing 50% of the time. This state is considered that the CPU is Idle. That process will show 50% in the CPU usage as the CPU is actually idling 50% of the time. All the other process total % should total to 50% too.

90% mean you processor is pretty much doing nothing at all.

I just did some research and found out that my System is actually by 95% in the so called "Lehrlaufprozess", which actually means that the CPU does nothing except waiting as @Franck already stated

Thank for the explanation.. I will check my cooler then..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

9 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Thank for the explanation.. I will check my cooler then..

maybe a dead fan or a loose connector

@GoodBytes @Franck I removed the cooler, reapplied thermal paste, clean everything from dust, restore the windows which wipe all the apps and programs, keep personal settings. Still, 100% CPU usage with 54C idle CPU temps..

Should I clean reinstall the windows?

20190131_110444.thumb.jpg.61dbd9b874024054ee2a8328d89a8a40.jpg
20190131_110431.thumb.jpg.bea16b18bd4acdb07b87964e6edafccf.jpg

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

8 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:
@GoodBytes @Franck I removed the cooler, reapplied thermal paste, clean everything from dust, restore the windows which wipe all the apps and programs, keep personal settings. Still, 100% CPU usage with 54C idle CPU temps..

Should I clean reinstall the windows?

Check the details tab. the process tab is completely useless. Find out there what is using the CPU that much. But a 8700k running a 4.7 ghz and only have 54C you should be incredibly happy. that's seems incredibly low.

20 minutes ago, Franck said:

Check the details tab. the process tab is completely useless. Find out there what is using the CPU that much. But a 8700k running a 4.7 ghz and only have 54C you should be incredibly happy. that's seems incredibly low.

It was 38C.

I fixed it by reinstalled the Windows, now it went back to 38C when idle without that 100% CPU usage anymore..

System Idle Process Fixed.png

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

"Fixed" by reinstalling? :) It's not a fix, it's workaround. You'll see the same behaviour very soon, when your system starts to update itself or other components. You should have more patience - probably after some time problem will be gone when system stops doing what he was doing.