18pin to 16pin modular psu cable?

ScottyG

So i recently encountered a difficult task dealing with my seasonic x-650 psu. The P1 cable has been bent in 2 spots breaking the wires inside of the plastic sheath rendering the cable unusable. Since my psu is a x-650, instead of using a 18pin+10pin connector to plug into the psu, it uses a extremely more obsolete 16pin+10pin psu connector. I have been unable to find a 16pin+10pin cable but I have seen many of the 18+10pins. I was wondering if anyone knew of a solution to convert the 18pin connector to a 16pin connector either by rewiring on a new connector or by some dongle solution

Have you tried CableMod? (I have the Seasonic x650 Gold, myself). I can't tell from product descriptions or images if these cables are compatible, but they have compatibility lists linked on each product page.

https://cablemod.com/products/?filter_made-for=seasonic

EDIT: I can't seem to find any 16pin+10pin cables there. As @Spotty said, contact Seasonic's support. Weird as hell that you can't even find a custom kit for these PSU's.

Try contacting seasonic support and asking if they sell replacement cables for that unit.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

You can buy one on eBay for 55$ : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seasonic-SS-650KM3-Active-PFC-F3-650W-ATX-80Plus-Gold-Certified-Power-Supply/283345740208

You'd have a set of cables AND a spare power supply.

Almost as much as buying crimping tool and wire and connectors , or buying a new kit of cables.

Alternatively, couldn't you just use/buy a soldering iron and some wire and some heatshrink and patch the wires where they were bent and broken?

20 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

EDIT: I can't seem to find any 16pin+10pin cables there. As @Spotty said, contact Seasonic's support. Weird as hell that you can't even find a custom kit for these PSU's

The seasonic X series is quite old and has been end of life for a while. Probably why there's not many people doing custom cables for it.

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can buy one on eBay for 55$ : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seasonic-SS-650KM3-Active-PFC-F3-650W-ATX-80Plus-Gold-Certified-Power-Supply/283345740208

You'd have a set of cables AND a spare power supply.

Good thought, but that's the Seasonix x-650KM3 which is the updated version that uses the 18+10 motherboard connector. If OPs is 16+10 connector then I believe it is the original X series from ~10 years ago.. cables aren't compatible.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=169

Though replacing the PSU outright might still be a good idea given its age. If it's lasted the last 10 years you've got your money's worth out of it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Oh yeah, didn't consider that.

Here's a 24pin cable for 15$, just make sure it's the right version : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seasonic-Modular-Cable-18-10pin-to-24pin-mainboard-connector-cable-Black/323658396224

Anyway, another option would be to just buy some random cable that has the right length and extract the wires from the connectors and insert them in your original connectors. You'd need just an extraction tool for that (or use some thin tweezers)

So even if the cable above is not right, you could just extract the wires from the 18 pin connector and put them in the 16 pin connector - you'll find pinouts for your particular Seasonic model online easily ... and just match everything.

If yours is 16+10, and the cable above is 18+10, the extra 2 wires are most likely sense wires, and can be removed without any risk.

30 minutes ago, Spotty said:

the original X series from ~10 years ago

Hot damn our PSU's are that old? Maybe because I've never had a hiccup, I just never thought about it before (shout out to Seasonic for making a top tier PSU's. lol). Makes sense then that our PSU's don't have custom shite anymore. I guess it's time for OP to upgrade then (and me for that matter).

6 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Hot damn our PSU's are that old? Maybe because I've never had a hiccup, I just never thought about it before (shout out to Seasonic for making a top tier PSU's. lol). Makes sense then that our PSU's don't have custom shite anymore. I guess it's time for OP to upgrade then (and me for that matter).

Depends which version you have. They refreshed it about 5 years ago. Do you have the original X series or the X KM3? You might need to check the label on the unit for the model number.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Depends which version you have. They refreshed it about 5 years ago. Do you have the original X series or the X KM3? You might need to check the label on the unit for the model number.

Just checked, I don't see a KM3 anywhere on the label. I'll be building a new PC soon anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:04 PM, TempestCatto said:

Yea my psu is almost if not older than 12 years old and I’ve never had any issues with it. Needless to say I probably need to just buy a new psu and I’ll probably buy another seasonic. 

On 1/29/2019 at 7:04 PM, TempestCatto said: