What Amount of Money ACTUALLY creates a fun gaming experience

@James the Broke Gamer Please multi-quote and snip large quotes.

Thank you

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

24 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Very nice. Has a Kylo Ren 'Death Star' feel to it.

Not as nice as yours, but it gets the job done lol.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

13 hours ago, James the Broke Gamer said:

Thanks for the in-depth response, I am not a very big console fan, however, I do have an original, 360, and a ps3 and I do find that very fun. I am glad I can be on this forum because you obviously have a generous budget for gaming, and most of my friends and I don't :) so it's nice to have different perspectives. 

also, you like 4k gaming i see, so do you recommend 4k @60hz or a lower resolution with 144hz I really need to upgrade from 1080p 24inch 60hz one lol

I haven't experienced 144 Hz so I can't say about that, but 4K is also enjoyable outside of games. Probably also depends on what's going to be played with the screen.

I don't have particularly big budget, I do gradual upgrades whenever there's a good opportunity (need and spare money). For e.g. I was still rocking FX-8320 in mid 2017, pushing VR with it for months, until I had the means to give up and upgrade (and I had two GTX 460s in SLI until mid 2016, that was truly pushing it). The hard part is to get started with something good enough that you don't have to replace the entire PC each time you need a bump. I haven't built a whole new system after 2010, instead I have done partial upgrades over the years.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:44 PM, James the Broke Gamer said:

Guys, let's be honest, you want to play bo3 or something, do you need to spend over 1200 dollars on a liquid cooled gaming rig for 1080p gaming? no? you want 1440p? still overpaying? oh, 1440p 240hz? what 4k gaming at 60hz??? will that make u BETTER at the game???

does a high resolution, fancy PC, rgb peripherals actually make you happier?

guys tell me how YOU game...

and is it fun how it is

Fun is subjective. I used to be fine with a laptop that could only play last gen games at 720p low(and an xbox 360). Then I got a 970 and got 60fps ultra at 1080p for some time and thought it was crazy and was able to play next gen games, which looked phenomenal since i was stuck on last gen graphics. Now I have an rtx 2070 and think that no such mortal should lay eyes on such a beast(probs gonna go from 1080p to 1440p).

the only thing that actually affects your game skills in games is the refresh rate (and maybe the resolution in certain scenarios)which may or may not require really powerful hardware depending on the game.

If you got the money, you i'd say go for what you can or what you think is resonable. Heck it's possible to buy a cheap i5 or i3 work desktop from ebay and slap a gtx 1050 in it and call it a day.

and AIO coolers aren't too much of a premium over regular coolers,  that is if you're looking for just run of the mill 120mm loop. But for a custom water loop, you're looking at $500ish i think.

Damn....

On 1/31/2019 at 3:04 AM, BlockedTheShot said:

Fun is subjective. I used to be fine with a laptop that could only play last gen games at 720p low(and an xbox 360). Then I got a 970 and got 60fps ultra at 1080p for some time and thought it was crazy and was able to play next gen games, which looked phenomenal since i was stuck on last gen graphics. Now I have an rtx 2070 and think that no such mortal should lay eyes on such a beast(probs gonna go from 1080p to 1440p).

the only thing that actually affects your game skills in games is the refresh rate (and maybe the resolution in certain scenarios)which may or may not require really powerful hardware depending on the game.

If you got the money, you i'd say go for what you can or what you think is resonable. Heck it's possible to buy a cheap i5 or i3 work desktop from ebay and slap a gtx 1050 in it and call it a day.

and AIO coolers aren't too much of a premium over regular coolers,  that is if you're looking for just run of the mill 120mm loop. But for a custom water loop, you're looking at $500ish i think.

custom loops are expensive, and I heard water cooling doesnt dramaticly improve OC abilities. I used to play at 1080p on a 24inch monitor, but I sold my rig and am in the proccess of building a new one. I played a t 60hz but I really want to compare it since I have never played on anything higher

On 1/30/2019 at 2:08 PM, NunoLava1998 said:

I'm not saying having better rigs will make you win.

In FPS games, 240hz is better than 60hz for example as you have 4x more frames, so you can spot and kill the enemy much more easily. Actually provides an advantage

Now, having better rigs won't make you better, at all.

that is true, however, I have heard that 240hz is not that much of a difference between 120hz, but again, I need an apples to apples comparison

If you actually add up all the parts and perihperals and shit, I think I've spent about $4000 USD on my rig. 8700K, 1080 Ti, custom water loop, 1440p UW monitor. I love it. Even version 1 of my build was pretty high end. I most certainly don't need it, but I love playing games on high refresh rate 1440p panels, and I had the money, so I went all out. Some people don't care, or don't notice a difference. Some people have a limited budget. Others just willingly don't buy expensive parts because they don't need it. I enjoy it more, so that's what I did. I've been using high resolution, high refresh rate monitors for long enough now that I probably won't ever go back, it would look like I'm playing on a slideshow from 1990.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:25 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

If point is to get best possible gaming experience with least money possible, then you don't waste money on looks aspect. You go for performance. So no water cooling, no rgb, no fancy heatspreaders on RAM, no fancy $100 case when you get working one for half of that. The things which will cost most still are GPU, monitor, CPU and RAM. In that order. Mobo's don't differ that much if only objective is gaming performance. As you rarely need to OC for that anyway, only need 2 RAM slots and 1 PCIe x16 slot for GPU. Quick draft in PCPP comes up with $1500-1700 mark. Ready to game system. I think I can shave the price even lower with cheaper GPU and CPU.

Depends on what you call "best possible". You can have a killer esports rig for like $650.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

On 1/29/2019 at 4:44 PM, James the Broke Gamer said:

does a high resolution, fancy PC, rgb peripherals actually make you happier?

guys tell me how YOU game...

and is it fun how it is

Yes, because it is a goal achieved.

I don't water cool and I pay more than $1200 for a video card.

I started playing at 4k in 2015. Back then I had to drop the resolution to get 60fps most of the time. The games I played at 4k were usually much older games that needed high resolution texture packs to make them look presentable.

Today it is 4k ultra most of the time and it never gets old.

The end game for me will be 144hz 21:9 4k. I can't see past that.  

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Something with at least mid tier graphic card. Like RX 590, GTX 1060 or RTX 2060. Give or take a frame or two here and there. I can't imagine having even GTX 1050 or something of that sort. Had Ti version and it was too slow.

3 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Depends on what you call "best possible". You can have a killer esports rig for like $650.

Looking at thread, 144Hz was the thing to go for.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Heh heh buy a Xbox one X & a Xim Apex 

all the kbd/mouse gaming of a PC with the cheaper performance and support of a console 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

There's some talk about the benefits of RBG here. Some people here seem to feel it's useless and a waste of money. I disagree.

I have a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic (the first one). I got it ~8 years ago, back when it was pretty much the only mechanical kb on the market. I wanted to try mechanical, and the extra 5 macro keys were invaluable as I was an avid WoW player at the time. 

I also write for a living.

The advantage of having the adjustable blue RBG on the keyboard is absolutely gigantic. I'm able to type without ever having to look at the keyboard. I never miss keys unless I'm drunk. I don't have the research to back it up, but I firmly believe that I see the keyboard lights with my peripheral vision and that this enables me to hit the right keys without ever taking my eyes off the screen.

I know it's true because I also have a laptop and a wireless Logitech keyboard. I use them daily, I'm well used to them, and yet unless the room is very well lit, I regularly have to look at them to figure out where the keys are, and also make errors while typing. 

So, yeah, RBG is very much worth it in a keyboard at least. :)

EDIT: Also, having a better looking machine next to me automatically increases my enjoyment while I work and play. Because I built it, it also adds a sense of pride when guests compliment it and spend some times just staring at it in mild wonder. 

We can't always surround ourselves with beautiful things, but we can take steps to make at least the stuff we interact with daily be very good on the eye. ❤️ 

1111.jpg

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

10 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

<Snipping large quotes is a good thing>

wow! thanks for  the in depth resonse, I never would have thought about rgb keyboards that way, and its true, when I was on my pc, 20% of the time I was just staring at it mindlessly cuz it was the coolest thing I owned :) 

On 1/30/2019 at 2:41 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Depends on what. On what price etc. I wouldn't buy HDDs. Maybe not SSDs either. But I currently have case, PSU, GPU, 2xRAM plus 2nd monitor all bought used. I would be picky with mouse and kb if they wouldn't have warranty.

cool, when I built my pc it was at the peak of cryptoming, so I was kind of forced to use used parts, and everything worked great, although, one of my ram sticks died and caused a whole bunch of problems. I don't think I baught it that way but you never know

On 1/31/2019 at 9:25 AM, campy said:

<Snipping large quotes is a good thing>

So when you originally built/bought this, what games were you hoping to play with it, and, do you ever feel the need to upgrade because you really want to play a new particular game? I, personally, am waiting until the prices have gon down a little bit more to build my next PC (I sold my first one). I have noticed ram prices get lower by the week so I hope I am heading in the right direction. thx

@James the Broke Gamer

Please start using multi-quote (+ sign found at the bottom of a post) and snip large quotes.

I have merged several of your replies together for you.

Thank you

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

@James the Broke Gamer

Please start using multi-quote (+ sign found at the bottom of a post) and snip large quotes.

I have merged several of your replies together for you.

Thank you

Um I will look into that thanks