Crosshair VII Hero m.2 slot cover

Hello,i plan on buying a new pc with VII hero motherboard with r7 2700x. I have read online,that on this mobo the second m.2 slot is the one to go with,since the first one makes the gpu run at 8x pcie. So now i'm wondering can the top m.2 slot cover be moved to the bottom? Thanks

22 minutes ago, Nikolacar4 said:

I have read online,that on this mobo the second m.2 slot is the one to go with,since the first one makes the gpu run at 8x pcie

And you think this is a problem because...?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

And you think this is a problem because...?

Because the m.2 is really ugly,so i want it under the cover so that the build looks nice..

1 minute ago, Nikolacar4 said:

Because the m.2 is really ugly,so i want it under the cover so that the build looks nice..

What does that have to do with a GPU running at 8x PCIe speeds?

I'll save you the time. you will not see an appreciable performance decrease in GPU using an 8x slot. Remember, SLI uses two 8x slots.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

27 minutes ago, Nikolacar4 said:

Hello,i plan on buying a new pc with VII hero motherboard with r7 2700x. I have read online,that on this mobo the second m.2 slot is the one to go with,since the first one makes the gpu run at 8x pcie. So now i'm wondering can the top m.2 slot cover be moved to the bottom? Thanks

I used that motherboard and I used the top m2 slot. You'll be just fine. You won't see a performance difference between x8 and x16. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

What does that have to do with a GPU running at 8x PCIe speeds?

I'll save you the time. you will not see an appreciable performance decrease in GPU using an 8x slot. Remember, SLI uses two 8x slots.

I have read that i uses cpu lanes when you put it in the top slot... So it decreases the gpu to 8x i think... But i want to have the full performance of everything,so i still need to know if the cover can be moved...

11 minutes ago, Nikolacar4 said:

I have read that i uses cpu lanes when you put it in the top slot... So it decreases the gpu to 8x i think... But i want to have the full performance of everything,so i still need to know if the cover can be moved...

and you'll get it either way. I don't understand why you are hung up about the GPU not being used in 8x. there is no performance difference. What do i have to do to prove this to you? Run a benchmark with my Open loop cooled 1080ti in 8x and 16x? I have no idea where you read that running a modern GPU in 8x has a negative effect. It just not true.

Nevermind that by running a NVMe (which is what i assume you are using since you're hung up on PCIe Lanes) through the chipset may limit your read speed through the DMI 3.0 link.

System specs: