High cpu usage, how to check for things running in background

Unsure how to check this properly i have high idle cpu usage and even though my windows is on an ssd its also booting slowly recently, anyone able to give me steps to check or a program to scan with etc.

3 minutes ago, pepperz said:

Unsure how to check this properly i have high idle cpu usage and even though my windows is on an ssd its also booting slowly recently, anyone able to give me steps to check or a program to scan with etc.

what are your system specs

5 minutes ago, pepperz said:

For an overview use the Taskmanager, for deeper searching use the Resource Monitor (Tab Performance, at the bottom). Check CPU, Memory and Disk usage if there is any strange behavior/high usage

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

13 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

what are your system specs

4670k, 16gb ddr3, asus z27,1080ti,

Ive noticed it a lot more over the last 3-6months that things are just loading slowly etc.

1 minute ago, pepperz said:

4670k, 16gb ddr3, asus z27,1080ti,

Ive noticed it a lot more over the last 3-6months that things are just loading slowly etc.

well the 4670k is only 4 cores and 6 years old now, maybe its the problem. or maybe you should do a fresh install of windows

Just now, Earnist_ said:

well the 4670k is only 4 cores and 6 years old

Even a nehalem i5 can do just windows and booting quickly, I wouldn't advise a platform upgrade just yet.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Earnist_ said:

well the 4670k is only 4 cores and 6 years old now, maybe its the problem. or maybe you should do a fresh install of windows

tried the fresh install literally 3 or 4 days ago, helped maybe slight 2-3%?? at the most so negligible. 

Just now, fasauceome said:

Even a nehalem i5 can do just windows and booting quickly, I wouldn't advise a platform upgrade just yet.

i do plan on upgrading to the 7nm ryzen once its out but wanna try ease my suffering whilst i can

Just now, pepperz said:

i do plan on upgrading to the 7nm ryzen once its out but wanna try ease my suffering whilst i can

thats what i will be doing when it comes out because it will be so good

Just now, pepperz said:

When I had some slow boots, it was actually a BIOS issue. You may want to try updating.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

When I had some slow boots, it was actually a BIOS issue. You may want to try updating.

hmmmm, id have to rewatch a vid on how to do that cause i suck with software. i thought it may be my cpu just starting to degrade as once the backdoor into cpu exploit came out (cant remember the name it was given) like a yr or so ago i finally oc'd to 4.4 on stock volts and only on air but idk.

Just now, pepperz said:

hmmmm, id have to rewatch a vid on how to do that cause i suck with software. i thought it may be my cpu just starting to degrade as once the backdoor into cpu exploit came out (cant remember the name it was given) like a yr or so ago i finally oc'd to 4.4 on stock volts and only on air but idk.

4.4 at stock voltage is fine, 4.4 at auto voltage is inferior, but if you monitored temps then nothing is wrong. BIOS update is pretty easy to do, you'll figure it out with Google pretty quick.

Primary PC:

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

4.4 at stock voltage is fine, 4.4 at auto voltage is inferior, but if you monitored temps then nothing is wrong. BIOS update is pretty easy to do, you'll figure it out with Google pretty quick.

yeh from what i found at the time iirc 4.4 was very easy for the cpu to do so i just jumped to it and its never crashed so.4

Have you tried running disk cleanup as administrator and deleting old windows update files? I know you said you just did a clean install, but even after a clean install windows still has a gigs of update files. (Note depending on how many files there are, it could take up to half an hour even on an SSD) Also you should trim your drive after you finish running the disk cleanup, this is done through the  disk defrag and optimization tool in windows.