First Time PC Building Experiences

legend8887

I plan on building a PC for the first time ever (excited) because I have a a cheap-o Alienware. And I was just wondering what your experiences were when you built your first PC? Thoughts? Feelings? Explain.

To tell the truth it was not as hard as I was ready for!

You should have no problum but if you do you always have all of us :)

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

getting the box of parts was amazing then i just took my time step by step. It seems harder than it really is

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I plan on building a PC for the first time ever (excited) because I have a a cheap-o Alienware. And I was just wondering what your experiences were when you built your first PC? Thoughts? Feelings? Explain.

took me like 5 hours... (fully watercooled...) I was so sure that i was going to screw up but no. It works. Then i did an air cooled one for my mom and it took less then 30 minutes. 

Thoughts: "Darn these small pins and tight corners. **** it came off"

Feelings: Excitement, nervousness, some sort of comfort, and a hint of paranoia 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

i was scured but i felt like a was a badass when i had finished  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

putting on the cpu on and thinking holy crap I think I might have just bent a pin...

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

I don't know what it is,  but since I built my computer every time I open it and do some work I get super sweaty and nervous. This happened again yesterday when I was installing new fans :mellow: and once sweat fell from my face right onto the motherboard, I had a mini heart attack :)

CPU: i5 3570k CPU Cooler: Hyper 212+ Mobo: Asrock Pro 4 Z77 GPU: Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 PSU: Seasonic G 650w HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB SSD: Kingston v300 Sound Card: Asus xonar dg MonitorAcer K272HUL, HP 22bw 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G400 Mousepad: Steelseries Qck+ Case: Corsair Air 540 Fans: 4x Noctua NF-P12 (saving up for more)

biggest fear first time i build pc was putting on coolers...

i honestly thought I was going to break the IHS or the CPU as a whole :P

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

The only scary part was putting the CPU in the CPU socket since it's such a fragile component... 

To be honest, even after building a few PC's, I still get anxious when putting in the CPU... 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

My first "build" was moving parts from my PIII computer with a broken case to another cheap tan case with the help of my dad. That was in 2006 or 07. My dad had this fancy new Core 2 Duo system with a Geforce 7600GS and all that. He kept it until 2011. (I got the 7600GS)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Mistakes: Got my motherboard screwed in and then realized I forgot the I/O shield

Thoughts: Damnit, the Prodigy M is a bitch to build in

Feelings: FINALLY. I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 8 MONTHS

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I spent three months studying on forums and watching how-to videos by linus, newegg and logan on how to build one, so I was pretty confident. Everything went great! It was so awesome finally getting all of the parts together and booting it up!

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Well I ordered all my parts off Amazon, a week later I got them all in the mail, so, I went over to my Grandparents house to do it, because they have a big working environment. First my hands were shaking sooooooooo bad I mean I didnt even finish connecting all the front panel connectors from my hands shaking so much, but anyways back to the story. I was putting the motherboard in the case and I used the fan screws for my motherboard screws, after like 20 minutes of trying to get them to fit then I gave up on it, tried different screws and they worked, I was worried that I kinda killed the motherboard. So a little bit later I put on my heatsink (Corsair 60i) and I spent a good 20 minutes trying to mount it, because its hard as **** trying to mount it on a AM3+ socket. Then after everything was connected the PSU everything, I went to boot it, nothing booted up, had some help from the forums here, and it turns out nzxt gave me a dead PSU, so after a week of my laziness I returned it, and ordered a corsair PSU, installed it and everything booted up fine.

"where the hell do all of these little wires (case wiring to motherboard) go?!?!" back in the day before it was all on one connector. lol

It is all fun except for 2 things: Cable management, and plugging in the 24 pin power. Cable management depends on how much stuff you have and the case you use, but that power is so annoying the first time. The power doesn't like to go in so it bends the board quite a bit, but thankfully pcb is pretty sturdy.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k @4.3 GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A RAM: Corsair XMS3 Series 8GB @1600MHz GPU: EVGA 660 ti SC Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache PSU: Corsair CX500

It`s quite easy to be honest, there are some points where you think: Well, i fucked up, for example while installing an Intel CPU. It only took me about 1.5hours to build my first system and haven`t had any problems getting it running

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Only think I stuffed up on my PC was plugging the monitor into the Mobo when I installed a new GPU, really, its quite easy, just looks hard

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I was 12 and really excited as it was my first PC, the cpu was probably the most nerve wrecking part but hey i had my dad guiding me.

This was 1998 btw and the specs were: CPU: AMD K6 II 350Mhz GPU: Nvidia Riva TNT Sound Card: Aureal Vortex, everything else i cannot remember exactly, ram was some sort of SD-RAM though, had a 60Gb HDD as well. Believe it was Fujitsu, not to sure.

First post woo, been watching Linus for many years but finally decided to join the forums.

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT | Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | XFX Radeon R9 290 DD 4GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |

My first real build was when I got my motherboard, CPU, and RAM as a Xmas present from my dad back in 2012.

I had to keep the case, PSU, etc. Since the HDDs in my old system were IDE I had to use a near-death 1TB that my dad had recently replaced until my 500GB arrived. I bought Windows 8 for 15 bucks and installed it. The problem after that was that the WiFi adapter on my old computer had broke which meant I had to use a cheap Chinese "wireless N" adapter that does 0.5MBPS. (Not MBS)

I eventually used two old ethernet adapters with a female-female adapter running through the basement to my room. Later I bought a 50 foot ethernet cable which was long enough that I could move my desk back to the other side of my room.

Now, the only part in my computer that is the same is the PSU. Only because it's a decent 500w that works just fine. (I still use the same screen because it's a pretty good screen. And I can't afford a new one.)

Right now the next upgrade I want to do is a mechanical keyboard to replace the Apple keyboard I'm using now, or replacing the CPU and motherboard.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245