Taking Intro to Java

DrMacintosh
Go to solution Solved by nicebyte,

How limited are we talking? In my opinion, there's a big difference between "no experience whatsoever" and something like "wrote some lua script for WoW one time", for example. It's always intimidating to start from zero.

That being said, the course looks like it aims to get students over the basic hurdles of getting a dev environment set up and writing and running simple programs. Most of these things will be straightforward and won't require a lot of thinking; the course will just slowly ease you into the programmer mindset. Of course, a lot depends on the instructor as well, but I think you'll be fine even if you've never programmed before.

Hello, I'm going to Community College as a CS Major and my first real programming class is Intro to Java. This is the syllabus:

Student Learning Outcomes: ILOs 1. iSLO 4. Information competency skills - Determine the scope of information needs; locate and retrieve relevant information; organize, analyze, and evaluate information; and understand the ethical and legal issues surrounding information and information technology. 2. iSLO 5. Quantitative skills - Convert information into relevant symbolic and mathematical forms (e.g. equations, graphs, diagrams, tables), provide accurate explanations of information presented in mathematical forms, and successfully perform calculations and symbolic operations. Course Outcomes 1. Given a set of requirements for a small business or scientific problem, prepare the software development specification. 2. Design the software components and draw flow-charts for the complex code sections. 3. Design, implement, test, and debug a program that uses each of the following fundamental programming constructs: basic computation, simple I/O, standard conditional and iterative structures, and the definition of functions. 4. Apply the techniques of structured (functional) decomposition to break a program into smaller pieces. 5. Describe and utilize the mechanics of parameter passing. 6. Design a simple user interface to satisfy the user interactions. 7. Code all the necessary expressions, branches, loops, functions, classes. 8. Add the appropriate error handling routines.  

How difficult would this be for someone with limited coding experience? Math and problem solving skills are not a problem for me. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

You you're going into CS then you really don't have an option do you?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

You you're going into CS then you really don't have an option do you?

My Major isn't set in stone. I'm just looking to get a rough estimate on my workload. Its an Intro class, so it can't be too deep, but then again, I've never taken a Java class before. Lol! 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Watch this tutorial series or you will struggle quite a bit. College intro Java is just a coding boot camp. There is no skills on there which can't be self taught by watching a YouTube programming series. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

My Major isn't set in stone. I'm just looking to get a rough estimate on my workload. Its an Intro class, so it can't be too deep, but then again, I've never taken a Java class before. Lol! 

Java is really easy if you've done C or C++ before.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If java on codecademy is still free, binge through it. Knowing the api/syntax and how that language works will make the class much easier.

The logic is the difficult part. Syntax is the confusing hurdle & it really really pays to know the basics & some tricks. Without the syntax knowledge, the logic will be much harder. 

I have a really intelligent friend majoring in physics. He couldn’t stand java because we had a bad teacher & java can be a bit confusing without a good foundation. He’s taking python which is arguably easier in terms of syntax & now loves it. 

How limited are we talking? In my opinion, there's a big difference between "no experience whatsoever" and something like "wrote some lua script for WoW one time", for example. It's always intimidating to start from zero.

That being said, the course looks like it aims to get students over the basic hurdles of getting a dev environment set up and writing and running simple programs. Most of these things will be straightforward and won't require a lot of thinking; the course will just slowly ease you into the programmer mindset. Of course, a lot depends on the instructor as well, but I think you'll be fine even if you've never programmed before.

Just now, nicebyte said:

That is was I figured. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when class starts xD 

• 1 month later...

You should check out Harvard's CS50 videos on Youtube. There's a fresh 2018 playlist now up: