Cliche mods

UrbanFreestyle

Morning all,

So i'm wondering if people could list off some things that have been done with PC's that would be deemed 'cliche' This can be anything from colour schemes, case mods, hardware oddities etc litterally anything.

I know this is all subjective and some people like them and others don't but i will start this off with one of the most contravercial....

RGB everything.... but when left on rainbow mode so all colours are showing.

*runs and hides*

red/black color

white/blue color

unicorn puke

240mm AIOs

Noctua air coolers

everything NZXT builds

Computers in old consoles

Sleeper PCs (i say while mine is my absolute fave computer lol)

Wooden DIY cases

EK watercooling loops

those are the ones that instantly come to mind, i dont HATE all of these but man are they overdone imo

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Black color scheme. Cold cathodes to LEDs to RGB, actually fans have been worst of this all the way. Side window from plexi to tempered glass. "Gaming" as marketing term.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

red/black color

those are the ones that instantly come to mind, i dont HATE all of these but man are they overdone imo

I won't show you my red/black build in a Lenovo OEM case then ?

18 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Black color scheme. Cold cathodes to LEDs to RGB, actually fans have been worst of this all the way. Side window from plexi to tempered glass. "Gaming" as marketing term.

I have to agree i hate it when people call something 'Gaming' I don't game, i do video and photo editing but use 'Gaming' kit.

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

red/black color

white/blue color

unicorn puke

240mm AIOs

Noctua air coolers

everything NZXT builds

Computers in old consoles

Wooden DIY cases

EK watercooling loops

ROG builds

all corsair builds

I like unicorn puke, don't judge me

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

ROG builds

all corsair builds

oh yah those too. but i think Unicorn puke and black/red colors catch literally everything those two compaines make

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

ROG builds

all corsair builds

I like unicorn puke, don't judge me

I'm still gonna judge....but i wont hate.

Just now, UrbanFreestyle said:

I have to agree i hate it when people call something 'Gaming' I don't game, i do video and photo editing but use 'Gaming' kit.

Its fine when it refers to styling. But when people talk about Gaming CPUs, Gaming RAM and Gaming motherboards where "Gaming" refers to RGB mainly, its just bad overall. Gaming used to be reference to quality with peripherals. You had basic, office and gaming grade of stuff.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

agreed, i used to use Quadros for my editing as i was turned off by the terms used for GTX cards etc. now i pay no attention, it's litterally what works best for me.

I have a dark secret too....

I like the colour of Noctua fans...

11 minutes ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

agreed, i used to use Quadros for my editing as i was turned off by the terms used for GTX cards etc. now i pay no attention, it's litterally what works best for me.

I have a dark secret too....

I like the colour of Noctua fans...

it isn't that bad... I ripped one out of a server to use for cedar mill

17 minutes ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

Sex Gaming sells.

20 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

white/blue color 

@seoz

Spoiler

image.png.83c0c1a5215926627b2ba241bbfc99f8.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

As of late, obnoxious colours in the cooling fluids used in water cooling. 

All that RGB insanity reminds me of the riceboy craze from years gone by. Taking junker civics and making them garish, but all that glitz never made them any faster or better.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

As of late, obnoxious colours in the cooling fluids used in water cooling. 

All that RGB insanity reminds me of the riceboy craze from years gone by. Taking junker civics and making them garish, but all that glitz never made them any faster or better.

Undercar NEONS!!! ?

I used to be heavy in the street racing scene and used to love challenging people in their 'souped up' civics. we spent very little on style and a lot on engine / performance mods.

My most recent street race car was a Rover Metro (knightsbridge) with a Lotus Sport 160 engine and 50 shot of Nitrous. R65 gearbox, LSD and bigger brakes, only issue was keeping traction.

1 minute ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

Undercar NEONS!!! ?

I used to be heavy in the street racing scene and used to love challenging people in their 'souped up' civics. we spent very little on style and a lot on engine / performance mods.

My most recent street race car was a Rover Metro (knightsbridge) with a Lotus Sport 160 engine and 50 shot of Nitrous. R65 gearbox, LSD and bigger brakes, only issue was keeping traction.

I never did the sreet scene, mainly because I drove Italian sports cars, so the ricers knew they'd lose. Only time I was ever challenged was my my (original) Abarth 128 at a stoplight vs some nissan 300/350/370 (unsure which) 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I'm sold to Noctua's black everything..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

5 hours ago, campy said:

-Bad hardware parings. 9700k + RTX 2060 is one I saw here recently.

-ATX for a single gpu build, with a mentality that SLI/crossfire is a waste of money

-Overkill wattage power supplies 

-120mm AIO water coolers 

-Corsair everything, anything else is bad or a lesser option

-The hyper 212 evo

-Every time a new generation of GPUs come out, the uninformed try to guesstimate their performance equivalents and end up thinking "GTX 1060 = 980ti" or "RTX 2070 = Titan xp" and so on

then it's usually 1-2 tiers lower than that 

-giving a shit about thermals within safe non-throttling range 

-thermal paste temperature differences 

-dedicated wifi cards

What's wrong with a dedicated wifi card?

Or for that matter, the hyper 212? I am under the impression it's a solid cooler.

Not overly sure if these are mods the poster just doesnt like or ones they feel are used too often (cliche) 

I think the 212 is a good solid cooler but mine wasnt fitted due to it being SOOOO much taller than i thought and it didnt fit in my case.

10 hours ago, campy said:

-Bad hardware parings. 9700k + RTX 2060 is one I saw here recently.

9700k/RX480 here

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Building a pc and posting about it online

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:27 PM, The_Stig said:

9700k/RX480 here

I'd rather see a great cpu/bad gpu instead of the reverse.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo