Idea's for a new programmer.

nillas12

Hello beauties.

I'm new at this whole programming deal, and I really don't know quite what to make.

Any ideas?

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Anything. :)

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

what language are you using

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

make sth the functions like a virtual keyboard so you can text-spam your friends.
make sth that send a lot of emails to one address.
make a website with a secure login system.
make a calculator.

the sky is the limit.....sadly

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

Using C#. And thanks for all the fast answers :)

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

make program that makes pointless random programs

Make something with a pretty, functional UI—Why? The biggest flaw I see among programmers is generally the lack of understanding of UI and UX.

So if you could focus on making something like a remote-access application for for example YouTube, that'd be a great place to start. It's very simple, yet allows you to focus on building something "useful" and possibly neat looking. Additionally, making something look nice with the style rules for 2014 should be real simple as it's currently very "in" with flat designs.

Good luck with your dive into programming, it's a wonderful world.

Cheers,

Linus

Create a simple bash scrips which creates another bash script which will be run and create another bash script :D joking ;) here's my real answer, create a autotyper and clicker this is where i started. This may seem really simple but it really depends on what knowledge you have since I'd consider myself a intermediate programmer I'd say that I would be able to create it under 100 lines whereas you may be new to programming and learn how to do it in a simpler but less efficient way (which is not wrong because it still does the job). Maybe after that make it more user friendly and add more user control such as choosing the frequency, loop timer etc.... just go wild!

Make a web browser ;) That's one of the first things i did. (in VB.NET) 

The actual bowser stuff should be there already, just design the UI and program the fields and buttons, add favourites and that sort of stuff 

the best part was in college when the web browsers were blocked, mine would still work :P And when they blocked that i just renamed the exe and it still worked :P

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I was going to make a pie chart maker, that would be fairly simple, 1% = 3.6 degrees of pie.

Or maybe get an Arduino kit and start fiddling with that.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Or maybe get an Arduino kit and start fiddling with that.

Would suggest it aswell but since he's new to programming in general I'm not sure how well he'd cope with a arduino

Would suggest it aswell but since he's new to programming in general I'm not sure how well he'd cope with a arduino

Bought a Arduino starter kit for my dad last year – he has never in his life written, or even seen code, and he managed to understand and create simple things with it within just a day. So I don't think that'd really be much of a problem.  ^_^

Cheers,

Linus

1. Create a program that given a path and a date, finds all the files that have not been read or modified after the date. Show the list as a directory tree, include file size and last access date.

2. Provide a function that shows the % of untouched files in each directory in the tree.

3. Provide a function that lists empty directories.

I'm sure you can think of additional functionality.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Are you looking for something practical to make (web browser etc) or just some program that will help you learn more skills?

On the whole learning side, you could make a program that will output the day of the week and show the calender month for any date you input. It's a cool little beginners program. Search for zeller's congruence. You will need it.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Games are very fun to program, and they are great for learning new techniques and mainly just getting used to a programming language.

Since you're new to programming it might not have proper graphics, but working out how to create, for example, a text adventure game, and making your own method for how to handle things such as progressing through a level or interacting with the environment.

Hello beauties.

I'm new at this whole programming deal, and I really don't know quite what to make.

Any ideas?

If you are new to programming, you should seriously start with easy things. 

It gets complicated faster than you could ever imagine  :)

For C# could (e.g.) make a simple backup script - after you've done that make a complicated one!

Only replacing files if totally necessary etc.

Have fun!  :D

MB: MSI Z77A-GD55 | CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz | RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @1333MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 

Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster B2230H @60Hz | Audio: Creative Aurvana Live! | PSU: SuperFlower 80+ Gold 550 Watt 

OS: ArchLinux + KDE / Windows 8 Pro 64bit | Smartphone: Nexus 4 16GB - CM11

Using C#. And thanks for all the fast answers :)

Using VS?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=23714

Make a game, gives you loads of options for algorithms, mechanics, features, teaches you how to handle user input, forces peformance/coding difficulty maintenance.

+ you can learn 2D and 3D Graphics,Sounds and what have you on top of that as a side project