What is my bottleneck...

In Fortnite (it's crossplatform and looks great on my ultrawide monitor--don't judge), on Ultra settings, I'm only getting 60-80 FPS. My CPU is at 50%, my GPU (1080 Ti) is at 80%, and my RAM is at 60%. What is wrong here? Is it the game or is there something wrong here?

Just now, tmakin said:

What is wrong here? Is it the game or is there something wrong here? 

Are you thermal throttling?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Temps on both?
Resolution of your monitor?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

CPU and GPU temps?

Is your CPU water cooled? If so is it overclocked? If so is the CPUs VRM properly cooled?

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

3 minutes ago, ATFink said:

CPU and GPU temps?

Is your CPU water cooled? If so is it overclocked? If so is the CPUs VRM properly cooled?

GPU: 70C

CPU: 37C

CPU is water-cooled and I believe VRM has a heat sink built onto the MB.

CPU is not overclocked because it's not overclockable, and my GPU is at 1923 Mhz. It was factory overclocked at 1650, and I'm not sure why it's over...shouldn't affect anything that much though. Monitor is 3440x1440 (though I have a second 1920x1080 monitor, but disconnecting has no obvious affect on performance).

gonna be a gpu limit then , if the cpu isn't being used then it's a gpu limit

Just now, emosun said:

I'm pretty new at overclocking, though I kinda want to...any advice?

Just now, tmakin said:

I'm pretty new at overclocking, though I kinda want to...any advice?

my advice would be to disable the useless settings like AA to increase the fps. "ultra" settings are just taxing to a system with no real visual improvement relative to the amount of power it uses.

28 minutes ago, tmakin said:

GPU: 70C

CPU: 37C

CPU is not overclocked because it's not overclockable, and my GPU is at 1923 Mhz. It was factory overclocked at 1650, and I'm not sure why it's over...shouldn't affect anything that much though. Monitor is 3440x1440 (though I have a second 1920x1080 monitor, but disconnecting has no obvious affect on performance).

framerate is not displayed, but this video shows similar behavior on a nearly identical setup. Unless this video is recorded by you it seems to be a trend, not anything wrong with your system:

VRMs usually have a heat sink, but that does not necessarily indicate proper cooling. Either way, since you're not overclocking it shouldn't be an issue. What motherboard do you have?

1 hour ago, tmakin said:

In Fortnite (it's crossplatform and looks great on my ultrawide monitor--don't judge), on Ultra settings, I'm only getting 60-80 FPS. My CPU is at 50%, my GPU (1080 Ti) is at 80%, and my RAM is at 60%. What is wrong here? Is it the game or is there something wrong here?

Applications dont necessarily use 100%. The bottleneck is likely the threadedness of the game itself. Its going to be as slow as the slowest part. Its only at 50% because half of the CPU is unable to be utilized by the game itself.

So you could say its the CPU, but the CPU isnt being fully utilized.

What youd want for a shitty game like Forknife is a lower core count with higher clocks.

11 minutes ago, ATFink said:

framerate is not displayed, but this video shows similar behavior on a nearly identical setup. Unless this video is recorded by you it seems to be a trend, not anything wrong with your system:

VRMs usually have a heat sink, but that does not necessarily indicate proper cooling. Either way, since you're not overclocking it shouldn't be an issue. What motherboard do you have?

I have an MSI Z270 GAMING M3

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-M3

Yeah--I guess it's just the game...ehh I don't really mind lower FPS. Oh and that's the exact monitor I have (though I have the newer version). What really intrigued me was that V-Sync made no difference in FPS...does G-SYNC turn it on automatically? If so, that explains it.

47 minutes ago, emosun said:

Not true. I gamed on a Pentium G3258 + GTX 970 combo for a week or so waiting for my real cpu to come in, and I would be hugely cpu bottlenecked many times without hitting anywhere near 100% cpu load as shown by the RTSS overlay. Or maybe the RTSS was measuring wrong. But it showing 50% cpu load doesn't mean you're not being bottlenecked, because it did it for me on that cpu.

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Not true. I gamed on a Pentium G3258 + GTX 970 combo for a week or so waiting for my real cpu to come in, and I would be hugely cpu bottlenecked many times without hitting anywhere near 100% cpu load as shown by the RTSS overlay. Or maybe the RTSS was measuring wrong. But it showing 50% cpu load doesn't mean you're not being bottlenecked, because it did it for me on that cpu.

then watch the actual usage then

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

then watch the actual usage then

I was watching the usage as reported by RTSS via MSI Afterburner. As soon as I swapped that Pentium G3258 to a Xeon E3-1231v3 my gpu usage went to a pinned 99% in all my games with vsync turned off (for some reason RTSS would never show 100% usage).

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

for some reason RTSS would never show 100% usage

then dont use it then

34 minutes ago, tmakin said:

I have an MSI Z270 GAMING M3

The VRM is probably fine since it won't see anything with more than 4 cores, but the VRMs heat sinks just look like big chunks of metal (no fins... fins = good). Just make sure there is at least a little airflow over the heat sinks for long term use (doesn't have to be much).

34 minutes ago, tmakin said:

What really intrigued me was that V-Sync made no difference in FPS...does G-SYNC turn it on automatically? If so, that explains it.

V-Sync framecaps at 60 fps. G-Sync and Freesync do not cap framerate. It's weird there is no difference unless you get ~60fps cap naturally (without v-sync). Do you get over 60 fps with v-sync?

11 hours ago, ATFink said:

The VRM is probably fine since it won't see anything with more than 4 cores, but the VRMs heat sinks just look like big chunks of metal (no fins... fins = good). Just make sure there is at least a little airflow over the heat sinks for long term use (doesn't have to be much).

V-Sync framecaps at 60 fps. G-Sync and Freesync do not cap framerate. It's weird there is no difference unless you get ~60fps cap naturally (without v-sync). Do you get over 60 fps with v-sync?

Yes--I was fairly sure V-Sync just limited you to the Hz of your monitor. I.e. it limits me to 90, because I overclocked from 60-90.

It's to satisfy a curiosity, but can you run the game with GPU-z in the Sensors tab and see what "PerfCap Reason" is most of the time? It's probably going to be "Util", but I want to make sure.

Though likely it may just be the game is getting too big for its own good.