would like to learn

Evil croatian

so i little a bout myself.. 

im an apprentice plumber who spends all my free time with my computer playing games, but im starting to get bored of playing games and would love to learn something new.

me being from the trades i love learning things work and ive always had this interest.

some guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Community College is a cheap way to get your feet in the water. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 minutes ago, Evil croatian said:

so i little a bout myself.. 

im an apprentice plumber who spends all my free time with my computer playing games, but im starting to get bored of playing games and would love to learn something new.

me being from the trades i love learning things work and ive always had this interest.

some guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

I recommend learning Python. It's a pretty easy language to get started with as you don't have to understand compilers, you don't have to manually manage memory, you don't have to compile your code and can just run it, and there's a shitton of examples and guides on it. It's a good beginner-language, but it's still powerful enough to do complex, real stuff later in the future when you've mastered it, too.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I'm currently learning Java in high school and it's quite easy and fun; certainly powerful! Talk to your community college about it!

6 minutes ago, RainingBrainzHDSchoolAcont said:

I'm currently learning Java in high school and it's quite easy and fun; certainly powerful! Talk to your community college about it!

Lucky, I'm starting Intro to Java at my Community College this semester. We didn't have programing like that at my HS. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Unity :D
step UNO

AMD FX8320 | GTX660 | 4x4GB DDR3 | LG ZR2740W

Logitech Wireless Pro  | Logitech G413 | Nuforce uDAC5  | AKG K612

Are you interested in underwater basket weaving? If yes, attend schools, if not, just learn by picking a hobby, hopefully one with lots of online tutorials.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Another vote for Python. It's quite a nice language to learn, and has some great online tutorials to do so. You can even find free courses at coursera or other websites. 
I started programming for hobby, because I found out that the majority of jobs were unbelievably repetitive and boring. 

if you never even code, i would suggest going to codeacademy and learn some python as it is IMO the simplest programming language.

if you have some experience, i would suggest solving some puzzles on codewars. the programming puzzles there have a variety of levels from the basic to some that are real hard

The answer to this I think is a bit more complex.  Python and c# are some good general languages, but it all depends on what you want to create.  To some respect, I would recommend even learning auto-hotkey or auto-it as a very introductory thing, learning a bit of scripting.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 1/19/2019 at 11:28 PM, Evil croatian said:

Being that you're from a repair trade (me as well), will actually give you a leg up over other beginners, because you already know how to go about diagnosing and repairing problems, as well as reading technical documentation. Both of which are very necessary and huge parts of any programming task.

You'll see many conflicting suggestions, some good and some bad.

In my experience though, there are two general things that matter more than any other consideration when learning programming:

1. Don't set out to make something useful, including a game.
  2. Do focus on only one language, at one difficulty level, until you've nearly mastered that.

You'll hear people telling you about which language to pick, there are some rules I think beginners should follow about that:

• Do pick any language that catches your interest, provided that it's very popular. A few google searches will help.
  • Don't pick HTML/CSS/XML. Those are not programming languages, even though they are often lumped in with them.
  • Don't be afraid of things people call scary, like Vim or Assembly.
  • But probably don't pick Assembly.

As far as a specific recommendation goes, Python is a very good one. I, and many others, started with C, C++, or C#, but that's kind of like walking to school uphill both ways.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Codecademy for free if any courses are free anymore. 

I'm another vote for Python.  It's a nice, human-readable, general purpose scripting language that turns up all over the place.  There's a lot of great beginner tutorials for it out there.  

awesome thank you guys so much for responding to my thread, so far from people telling me in irl and on this forum i will probably be starting with python.

again thanks for everyone that responded with input. 

On 1/26/2019 at 2:02 PM, straight_stewie said:

Being that you're from a repair trade (me as well), will actually give you a leg up over other beginners, because you already know how to go about diagnosing and repairing problems, as well as reading technical documentation. Both of which are very necessary and huge parts of any programming task.

You'll see many conflicting suggestions, some good and some bad.

In my experience though, there are two general things that matter more than any other consideration when learning programming:

1. Don't set out to make something useful, including a game.
  2. Do focus on only one language, at one difficulty level, until you've nearly mastered that.

You'll hear people telling you about which language to pick, there are some rules I think beginners should follow about that:

• Do pick any language that catches your interest, provided that it's very popular. A few google searches will help.
  • Don't pick HTML/CSS/XML. Those are not programming languages, even though they are often lumped in with them.
  • Don't be afraid of things people call scary, like Vim or Assembly.
  • But probably don't pick Assembly.

As far as a specific recommendation goes, Python is a very good one. I, and many others, started with C, C++, or C#, but that's kind of like walking to school uphill both ways.

awesome thanks for the imput, i will be starting with python. and i wasn't planing on making anything useful like you stated. just wanted to see were this interest will take me. im still pretty young so a career change could happen after i complete my plumbing apprenticeship and have more freedom.