What are your tech pet peeves for 2019?

Xanthe_2871
3 minutes ago, Spudbilly said:

Are you not interested in the vega 56/64 gpu's? Just curious. :)

Well the availability is awful and the prices are still all over the place this far into the product's life cycle. I'd get an asrock Vega 56 if it weren't for the fact of it's inconsistent availability.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

The Photos.app share extension in the Finder in macOS Mojave. Sometimes you can see all your media folders, sometimes you can't.....so you're just stuck with your camera roll and no albums or media types. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

this was a problem in 2018 as well but it continues. 

when people disregard my Late 2011 MacBook Pro 15" as old junk when it outperforms the 2018 macbook air in multi-core geekbench. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

not just 2019, just pet peeves in general

1. getting emails from family member about the internet being down. the response is always "turn the router off and turn i back on" why can't you remember this

hold up a sec there

My pet peeve by far is that quite a lot of professional in NZ don't know a thing about tech. It works two ways though because I can just talk a lot of baloney and all they do is nod. To ask questions and get real answers, make sure that person has a BSci and not a Bcom in NZ!

On 1/18/2019 at 1:29 PM, Xanthe_2871 said:

What are your tech related pet peeves for 2019? Features that don't work, websites/apps that annoy you, things people do with tech, etc.

Mine are in the spoiler if ya' wanna know, but I'm curious about yours!

Reveal hidden contents
  • People who get mad when you call them unannounced. I don't mean cold calls, I mean calling a friends to chat and them being angry you didn't text them first to ask if it's a good time.
  • People, especially young people, who refer to the # symbol as "hashtag" in non-internet contexts, e.i: "The gate code is hashtag 7828" or "When you call Walgreen's press hashtag to get a manager right away."
  • Products that say they work with Google Home, and do, but not as intended. I just bought a security camera which claims it works with Google Assistant and the "Google Home Family" but my Google Home Hub won't show video from it. :dry: 
  • Vertical video, in almost any context.
  • YouTube videos that are NOT a compilation but still format a vertical video as horizontal with big side bars. If it's vertical anyways, I might as well be able to see it full-screen on my phone.

I just thought of one, people who talk like they know a lot about computers, when in reality all they know is that they have a processor in their computer. I've had someone go up to me and try to be cool and show off his 'alienware gaming computer laptop', since I think he overheard me talk to my friend about computer stuff. He said that he had a 'Nvidia GTX' in his computer and that he had '1 TB of HDD'. It was pretty irritating tbh, especially since he was super arrogant about it. 

1 hour ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I should add, @_d0nut that I have a Ryzen 7 1700 with 8GB of RAM and RX 470. Boyfriend's rig is a Ryzen 7 1700X with 8GB of Ram and RX 580

My upgrade goals would be more ram like 16GB or so, and a GTX 1070 class card which right now AMD doesn't really offer but maybe an RTX 2060 since that is about GTX 1070 performance

the 2060 is more like a 1070ti or 1080 than a 1070 tbh. AMD does offer the Vega 64 which is around 1070-1080 level performance. the Vega 56 matches the 1070 in some games but it falls short in others. 

• The wild west that is DisplayPort cables that don't carry an official certification (VESA certified cables are impossible to find here) 
  • Windows 10
  • My router constantly needing a second reboot after the breaker trips from lightning. 
  • Batteries

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

the 2060 is more like a 1070ti or 1080 than a 1070 tbh. AMD does offer the Vega 64 which is around 1070-1080 level performance. the Vega 56 matches the 1070 in some games but it falls short in others. 

Well yeah, that's about why I want the RTX 2060 or something in it's performance grade.

Like I said, Vega's availability is awful and price is all over the place that I couldn't reliably save over the next couple months and know if I can get what I want for $500 or so.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

hold up a sec there

3g/mobile data

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

3g/mobile data

Why not a text or a call?

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Why not a text or a call?

Because that would be smart..... They are not

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

Because that would be smart..... They are not

Everyone is good at something in their own little way. Some people just haven't found their talent yet, but it's there somewhere. Maybe you young people like to communicate with email fasterl

1 hour ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Well yeah, that's about why I want the RTX 2060 or something in it's performance grade.

Like I said, Vega's availability is awful and price is all over the place that I couldn't reliably save over the next couple months and know if I can get what I want for $500 or so.

FUCK RTX and Vega. Unless you spend your entire life playing brand new video games that come out tomorrow, or developing game graphics in Autodesk Maya, or running an AI program to simulate oil well drilling, there is literally NO POINT!

By the way, my Quadro K4000 has been pumping out accurate, colorful pixels since the day it came out, and I run AutoCad and Revit at the same time! So unless you're desperate to use your GPU purely as an extra CPU and you're willing to tolerate the problems of Windows 10 or take the time to assemble components in Linux, DirectX-12 can kiss my A$$

$500 for an AMD GPU? Unless you're aiming for massive frame rates, a Quadro K6000 does about the same thing with better management and features for production workflows. But who am I to judge in the realm of gamers and consumer end-users? And for that matter, why not grab a pair of GV100's with NVlink connectors and call it a day?

27 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

... Maybe you young people like to communicate with email faster!

AS IF...

The day I get responses to messages I sent years ago will be the day I build a working nuclear reactor entirely from plywood!

And don't even get me started on phones... If I have to go through one more BS department of "sales and technical support," to a person that doesn't have the slightest idea what they're talking about, I'm gonna march right in and shove the phones down their throat, then demand a collect call to HR to inform them that the current ROI of their workforce is negative $1 multiplied by the number of living people in the world.

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

Fortnite references in real life (phrases, kids dancing, unrelated marking BS)

A Dutch fireworks safety ad was based on Fortnite. I like the game, but this was a bit cringy...

Not really a pet peeve maybe, but my biggest issue: pretty much always having to choose top of the line i7s and giant NVMe SSDs when wanting 16GB of RAM in a laptop.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

• People who bitch about Linus being a shill/using clickbait titles & thumbnails. 
  • Recent Viber update making Viber run slower on my LG Nexus 5X.
  • My new X370 mobo having support for fewer USB ports than my old FX mobo. I have to charge my kindle and wireless headphones (micro USB port) on my wall charger, rather than on my computer, because the one USB port I can spare is used up by the USB C cable I use to copy files on my phone.
  • The fact that I now have the full Ryzen system I've been planning to get & saving for for a long time, and that this means I won't be buying any upgrades for the next couple of years, makes me illogically sad. I keep looking at all the shiny new 2019 tech stuff, knowing I will never buy it because I don't need it, and I kinda wish there was a reason for me to build a new system. 1st world problems I guess.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

8 hours ago, Phas3L0ck said:

AS IF...

The day I get responses to messages I sent years ago will be the day I build a working nuclear reactor entirely from plywood!

And don't even get me started on phones... If I have to go through one more BS department of "sales and technical support," to a person that doesn't have the slightest idea what they're talking about, I'm gonna march right in and shove the phones down their throat, then demand a collect call to HR to inform them that the current ROI of their workforce is negative $1 multiplied by the number of living people in the world.

Here in NZ at least some positions just go to business majors so I’m not suprised some of them are incompetent. IT positions should be for IT professionals. Blame the people who hired them I think.

Social media is a bigger aspect, but I usually reply to emails, fb messenger, texts pretty soon or ASAP, they are instant messaging after all.

- People who pre-order a game then complain when the game is released and its rubbish.

- Fortnite... in general.

- The effect mining has on the GPU market (Granted this is getting better)

- The price of ram!

- People who are so focused on their phones that you can't have a decent conversation with them.

- RGB mouse pads (Don't get me wrong I am one of 'those' people that like RGB... but why mouse pads?)

- Charger cables for devices, these seem to get shorter every year, next year I will have to sit on the floor next to my plug point to charge and use my phone at the same time.