What are your tech pet peeves for 2019?

Xanthe_2871

What are your tech related pet peeves for 2019? Features that don't work, websites/apps that annoy you, things people do with tech, etc.

Mine are in the spoiler if ya' wanna know, but I'm curious about yours!

Spoiler
  • People who get mad when you call them unannounced. I don't mean cold calls, I mean calling a friends to chat and them being angry you didn't text them first to ask if it's a good time.
  • People, especially young people, who refer to the # symbol as "hashtag" in non-internet contexts, e.i: "The gate code is hashtag 7828" or "When you call Walgreen's press hashtag to get a manager right away."
  • Products that say they work with Google Home, and do, but not as intended. I just bought a security camera which claims it works with Google Assistant and the "Google Home Family" but my Google Home Hub won't show video from it. :dry: 
  • Vertical video, in almost any context.
  • YouTube videos that are NOT a compilation but still format a vertical video as horizontal with big side bars. If it's vertical anyways, I might as well be able to see it full-screen on my phone.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

RGB and Virtual Reality are my pet peeves or is it peaves ok its peeves.

People who are glued to their cell phones.

People who drive like fucking assholes and taxi drivers they are the worst of the worst.

Vapers who have no respect for others and just allow unregulated smoke to enter my lungs. I got into a good one last year, war of words nose to nose.

not just 2019, just pet peeves in general

1. getting emails from family member about the internet being down. the response is always "turn the router off and turn i back on" why can't you remember this
  2. people who don't understand the social queues that i don't want to talk to them while I'm working
  3. Screaming children in public places (supermarkets mostly)
  4. Fortnite references in real life (phrases, kids dancing, unrelated marking BS)
  5. Battle Royale game modes being shoveled into every singe game genre

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

-snip-

Yeah, all these tech related pet peeves

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah, all these tech related pet peeves

I know right, but I just got on a roll.

15 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:
  • People who get mad when you call them unannounced. I don't mean cold calls, I mean calling a friends to chat and them being angry you didn't text them first to ask if it's a good time.
  • People, especially young people, who refer to the # symbol as "hashtag" in non-internet contexts, e.i: "The gate code is hashtag 7828" or "When you call Walgreen's press hashtag to get a manager right away." 

Nope, I guess it has to be TECH pet peeves @Arika S

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

not just 2019, just pet peeves in general

Youtube, i noticed in last few weeks when using the official app random videos have their titles autotranslated into my local language. Its anoying as hell and i havent seen any obvious way to turn it off.

Ou and also RGB. I doesnt come blue out of the box ?

Here's a fresh one, increased robocalls due to government shutdown. I got a Chinese call today, left a voicemail and everything.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Nope, I guess it has to be TECH pet peeves @Arika S

pfft, fine

*strikes out 2 and 3*

others are still valid

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I don't know the criteria for classifying whether something is a "pet peeve" or just something that upsets me.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

I don't know the criteria for classifying whether something is a "pet peeve" or just something that upsets me.

it would be a pet peeve if it upsets you, but wouldn't upset most reasonable people.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

nvidia.

Spoiler

I was going to cut a little slack because of the freesync drivers, but they didn't open up support for windows 7, which ~25% of steam users are still on based on steam hardware reviews. I was all ready to use my 144hz freesync monitor and pascal GPU, but no windows 10. I'll admit this mini-rant is out of salt, but is there a reason that w7 wouldn't work with adaptive sync?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

12 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

it would be a pet peeve if it upsets you, but wouldn't upset most reasonable people.

Seems like a very limited definition, but okay. I guess I don't have any pet peeves, then.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

26 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

FUCK RGB builds. Most of the people use it as an excuse to be uncreative everywhere else.

Can't forget about Tempered Glass.

Ngl I almost think TG is worse, especially when paired with RGB.

One or the other, alright whatever. Not really all that interesting but when you pair the two it's like. "There's nothing to note here, just another one of "those" builds"

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

27 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It's more like something which you absolutely hate in particular. Like some people think that the sound that is made when you scratch a plate with a fork is slightly irritating, while some people absolutely hate it.

2 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Can't forget about Tempered Glass.

Ngl I almost think TG is worse, especially when paired with RGB.

One or the other, alright whatever. Not really all that interesting but when you pair the two it's like. "There's nothing to note here, just another one of "those" builds"

I'm quite curious, what kind of builds do you personally feel look really nice? Do you have any examples? Since most of the high-end builds often include loads of tempered glass and RGB and stuff like that.

Just now, _d0nut said:

I'm quite curious, what kind of builds do you personally feel look really nice? Do you have any examples? Since most of the high-end builds often include loads of tempered glass and RGB and stuff like that.

Something like mine and my bf's @handymanshandle

Im using a Silencio 352 while he's using the more air flow optimized version, the N200.

Other than that, perhaps a non Windowed Define R6 or even if the windowed R5 was still on sale (acrylic)
Even my slightly out there, matte Black H440 is alright

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Something like mine and my bf's @handymanshandle

Im using a Silencio 352 while he's using the more air flow optimized version, the N200.

Other than that, perhaps a non Windowed Define R6 or even if the windowed R5 was still on sale (acrylic)
Even my slightly out there, matte Black H440 is alright

I should add, @_d0nut that I have a Ryzen 7 1700 with 8GB of RAM and RX 470. Boyfriend's rig is a Ryzen 7 1700X with 8GB of Ram and RX 580

My upgrade goals would be more ram like 16GB or so, and a GTX 1070 class card which right now AMD doesn't really offer but maybe an RTX 2060 since that is about GTX 1070 performance

43 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Here's a fresh one, increased robocalls due to government shutdown. I got a Chinese call today, left a voicemail and everything.

I get those calls almost everyday on my work phone and personal phone.

7 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

It's more like something which you absolutely hate in particular. Like some people think that the sound that is made when you scratch a plate with a fork is slightly irritating, while some people absolutely hate it.

I checked up some dictionaries to see how they define "pet peeve" and, well, I guess I do have one: people who post questions on forums and such, like e.g. here, without bothering to spend even half a second on trying to make their post readable and coherent, and/or giving enough relevant information. It's...it's people who just can't be arsed to spend any effort in posting a well-formulated question, but then expect other people to spend the effort in deciphering their question and answering it, too.

That quite upsets me.

45 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Really! I haven't gotten any bot calls as of recent, now that I think of it, though my AP teacher got one during class today.

Something that I've noticed is people call me back saying that my number called them, but I never called the person. Its really hypothetical, but I think my number is somehow being used somehow as a mask to the real phone number being used to bot call people. Am I crazy about that? I've had 4 numbers call me saying I called them but I never did.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

18 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I think my number is somehow being used somehow as a mask to the real phone number being used to bot call people

Not impossible, it's very easy to do the same thing with an email address.

Primary PC:

24 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I should add, @_d0nut that I have a Ryzen 7 1700 with 8GB of RAM and RX 470. Boyfriend's rig is a Ryzen 7 1700X with 8GB of Ram and RX 580

My upgrade goals would be more ram like 16GB or so, and a GTX 1070 class card which right now AMD doesn't really offer but maybe an RTX 2060 since that is about GTX 1070 performance

Are you not interested in the vega 56/64 gpu's? Just curious. :)

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset