pfSense Box

Hikaru12

Hey guys. I recently built my own router yesterday for use with pfSense so I decided to post a build log of it. Cable management, pretty looks, etc. are not included with this log because I didn't feel those were necessary for a build like this. 

I'll be posting my build log for my newest gaming project somewhere around May as I'm working 3 jobs to be able to afford it including working during busy tax season! :D

Specs

CPU: Intel i3-3220

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75N 

RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600 8GB x 1 (pulled this from my old computer)

PSU: SilverStone ST30SF 300W

SSD: Kingston 60GB V300

WiFi: TP-Link TL-WDN4800
Case: SilverStone Sugo-SG05 Lite

The goodies:

vnHxHADl.jpg

This is a pretty nice case for $35 bucks. Seems pretty sturdy with the side rails and it has 240mm if I wanted to install a vid card.

Installing the motherboard and stock fan:

JcEIcZBl.jpg

X03Giscl.jpg

I hope this Wi-Fi card works well!

mLPpLgHl.jpg

Sorting out some wires...

IGw2ROpl.jpg

Beginning to hook up the front panels (still can't get the reset to work even though manual says it's in the right spot):

DSrLII8l.jpg

Woo, she's looking full:

KgnV8QVl.jpg

That's a little better...

Yih7FZwl.jpg

The girl lives! 

USDkfS6l.jpg

Time of birth - 9:45PM 1/13/14

oQNY6mRl.jpg

Backshot :P

aNxLi5Rl.jpg

Top view:

XmJwe9Ol.jpg

Front when she's not on:

MnTC8Syl.jpg

PfSense Web GUI (took over 5 hours of messing around with the NIC's on the motherboard to get to this point. I had to figure which one would work and I guess they labeled outgoing traffic right to left instead of left to right which prevented me from getting on the WAN:

cC8tTvPl.jpg

The whole setup. My Motorola Surfboard modem is on the left, the pfSense box is in the center, and my TP-Link Gigabit 8 port switch is on the left:

OwO0NrKl.jpg

All that's left to do is to upgrade pfSense so I can get my wireless set up, pop some packages in it like Snort and Squid and buy a box of 1000' Cat 6 so I can make my own custom length Ethernet cables so everything looks nice and tidy and so I can get rid of my WD Livewire's which caps my wired desktop internet speed at 50Mbps.

Thanks for looking! :D

You can build your own router? I think I know my next project now....

Watch Teksyndicate's video on it.

Nice router. Update to tell your experiences with it later on

Case:NZXT Tempest 410 MOBO:Gigabyte 990fx UD3 CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz CPU-Cooler:NZXT Havik 140 GPU:MSI 7790 @ 1200mhz RAM:Patriot Viper 3 HDD:WD 1tb SSD:Kingston V300 PSU:RM750 

#KilledMyWife  

You can build your own router? I think I know my next project now....

Yeah. In fact there are a lot of Linux distros that can do that for you: pfSense, Smoothwall, IPcop. It's great because then you can replace hardware as new wireless standards come out and you don't have to throw out your old router when something new comes out. 

no sorry.

999 POSTS LINUS YOU BADASS

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I have just bought myself a computer to do this. Surely an SSD is a bit overkill for a router?

you can reset it at the speed of light,

But yeah, totally overkill xD

you can reset it at the speed of light,

But yeah, totally overkill xD

The SSD was for silence, not necessairly for speed but it's nice to reset the router quickly. Lol.

I have just bought myself a computer to do this. Surely an SSD is a bit overkill for a router?

You can get a 64GB SSD for the same price as a 500GB HDD (smallest you can get), so might as well SSD. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

You can get a 64GB SSD for the same price as a 500GB HDD (smallest you can get), so might as well SSD. 

You dont need a huge drive for this sort of device. You could probably spend pennys on a 80gb drive and it would probably use less than quarter of that space.

You dont need a huge drive for this sort of device. You could probably spend pennys on a 80gb drive and it would probably use less than quarter of that space.

Where do you get an 80GB drive though, definitely not in a computer store. 

I guess you could find one from an old system or something, but not everyone would have access to one. 

Also, just curious, but does pfSense work from a USB flash drive? Maybe that's another option. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Where do you get an 80GB drive though, definitely not in a computer store. 

I guess you could find one from an old system or something, but not everyone would have access to one. 

Also, just curious, but does pfSense work from a USB flash drive? Maybe that's another option. 

Yeh, just an old computer. You might be able to find it at one of them second hand tech stores or a computer repair shop.

I believe that you can install it onto a USB drive, but you loose some of the use of the packages which PFsense gives you.

http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=57064.0

Yeh, just an old computer. You might be able to find it at one of them second hand tech stores or a computer repair shop.

I believe that you can install it onto a USB drive, but you loose some of the use of the packages which PFsense gives you.

http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=57064.0

Yep, only problem with that is if you're building a router, you want it to be reliable because your whole network infrastructure depends on it, especially if you have a business or a home office, so I wouldn't want to use some old hard drive in it, maybe that's something to take into consideration as well. 

Yep, only problem with that is if you're building a router, you want it to be reliable because your whole network infrastructure depends on it, especially if you have a business or a home office, so I wouldn't want to use some old hard drive in it, maybe that's something to take into consideration as well. 

That is a fair point. I wouldnt go for the build that the OP has gone in a business enviroment anyway. I would need to have a few more ethernet ports to at least run a switch from.

Wow nice...Now I want one! Looks like I need to start saving my money.

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

That is a fair point. I wouldnt go for the build that the OP has gone in a business enviroment anyway. I would need to have a few more ethernet ports to at least run a switch from.

Yeah, you need one of those Intel Server NICs, but they cost an arm and a leg, I guess the OP's solution is more than enough for home use though, two Gigabit ports teamed still provides very good bandwidth. 

dead set 

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)